PDA

View Full Version : X-dimension?

hdsadey
03-10-2010, 08:25 AM
I see alot of you guys mention x-dimension for outdrive placement. I have searched the web for specific description of this with no luck. I would like to learn about this and you guys seem to have a good handle on it. Help!

MOP
03-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Do a search on the subject, there is a ton of info to much to try to put it all here. There is quite a to consider, a lot of good reading in some pretty large posts.

Phil

BlownCrewCab
03-10-2010, 07:12 PM
It's derived from the mark where you would find the center of the transom lateraly (measuring left/right) then marking the spot where your outdrive hight would be, it would end up looking more like a cross, but they call it the X, everything else like motor hight, exhaust holes etc is based on that measurement.

mattyboy
03-10-2010, 07:27 PM
some pics

OFFSHORE GINGER
03-10-2010, 08:34 PM
I see alot of you guys mention x-dimension for outdrive placement. I have searched the web for specific description of this with no luck. I would like to learn about this and you guys seem to have a good handle on it. Help! Well , let me ask a question to maybe give you a better answer and with that in mind just what are you trying to achieve or learn by changing the X Dimension ? I have to say that the only reason people ask about the X Dimension is to raise it and gain more speed , and what is your reason ? Just curious i notice a change in color in one of your pics of the transom , is it just me or what ?

OFFSHORE GINGER
03-10-2010, 08:44 PM
BlownCrewCab , how have you been and are you ready for spring ?

hdsadey
03-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Curiousity really! I have 16 that I'm putting back together (recovered theft). Mine is in good shape so not gonna change it. Have seen alot of you guys out there mention X dimension and I always like to learn new stuff as so to better educate myself in case I need the knowledge in the future. I do truly suffer from the disease of "can't leave it the f@#$k alone"!!!! There's nothin like takin a perfectly good car, truck, boat or motorcycle and turnin it into a fire breathin monster!!!!

BlownCrewCab
03-11-2010, 06:06 AM
BlownCrewCab , how have you been and are you ready for spring ?

I WAS Great until last night, I was cutting down trees and took a Log to the ribcage, Now I whimper every time I move :bonk:Probably cracked a rib or two.:frown:

shipwreck
03-15-2010, 03:29 PM
To find the X factor is the crankshaft center line
1. put a square (sheet rock sqaure ) on the running surface of the keel
2. grab a angle finder and measure your angle (10-16 degrees) you are probably around 12-13 on a 16
3. measure side to side on top of the hull as well as measure form bottom strake to strake to find vertical center mark a line from top to bottom.
4. after finding your transom angle (# of degrees) and a square on the keel at the center as well as the up angle of the sqare should be in line with the top to bottom line on your transom.
5 the next step is to determine the X or the cross. to find it depends on what hp or performance you want to run. usually it starts about 13.9 inches from the keel but cango up to 14-15 depending on your drive choice and performance choice. DONT go over 1/2 inches or you will starve the drive if you dont have a lower pick up on the lower unit.

Ride it like a Rental