PDA

View Full Version : jeep-V8

glashole
03-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Just looking for a little imput from anyone who might have some insight

i just made a deal on a 1980 CJ5 (pics to follow)

it has a 4cyl standard transmission

was wondering if anyone has done a conversion to a chevy v8 and what sort of work is involved

I noticed a kit from advanced adaptors that apparently has "everything required" which includes exhaust etc

also if this is an easy enough project is there a prefered transmission that i should look for to mate to the new motor, and what sort of HP should i look for in the V8

will the tansfer case hold up under normal operation (minimal hard 4wheeling)

thanks

Shea

mrfixxall
03-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Just looking for a little imput from anyone who might have some insight

i just made a deal on a 1980 CJ5 (pics to follow)

it has a 4cyl standard transmission

was wondering if anyone has done a conversion to a chevy v8 and what sort of work is involved

I noticed a kit from advanced adaptors that apparently has "everything required" which includes exhaust etc

also if this is an easy enough project is there a prefered transmission that i should look for to mate to the new motor, and what sort of HP should i look for in the V8

will the tansfer case hold up under normal operation (minimal hard 4wheeling)

thanks

Shea

The manual trans and transfer case will with stand the power of the v8,my concern will be the rear axle,if its a corporate jeep axle with the hub being held on by a nut wont handle the power and will need to be converted to a solid one piece axle..http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQJeepQQCJ7QQOmixQQSolid_Axle_Conversion_KitQQ1980 1981QQO321653020.html?apwcid=P1135867996W43b3f85c7 ab9e&gan=1&apwidwVtB7Tf

As for a engine gm makes a newer style 330hp with vortec heads which should be enough power to get you through the ruff stuff..They are real strong runner!!http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevySmallBlockV8s/330.cfm..

CJmike
03-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Is it the 151cu inch 4 cylinder? If so that is a GM motor. The bellhousing would bolt directly to the small block chevy. But guessing since its a 1980 unless its a T176 transmission. The transmmission, either sr4 or T4 is gonna hate a real motor. They could barely stand up to the 6 cylinders.

Can't recommend the AA adapter kits. Many of the parts are pretty hookey. Novak Adapters would be my choice for adapters.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/

You won't need headers but if you do just get some block hugger style headers from Summit Racing. Keep the exhaust inside the frame rails.

Lots of good parts here. I like their motor mounts.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/

Unless you want the V-8 sound a better choice for a CJ5 is a 4.3 Chevy motor. But if your set on a V-8 I would use a Ford 5.0. You can build a really short combination with a Ford V-8, into a ford T-18, with an adapter to the transfercase. You'll want a short drivetrain in a CJ5 as you will run out of rear driveshaft really quickly. You can also do a similar combination using a Ford C4 with a special rear adapter that replaces the tail housing on the transmission with a super short adapter. It also helps to get the short water pump and accesories.

HallJ
03-08-2010, 10:22 AM
If it has a Dana 20 or 44 rear axle, You'll be just fine.

jeff

CJmike
03-08-2010, 10:25 AM
1980 CJ-5
dana 30 front axle
AMC 20 rear axle
Dana 300 Transfercase
151 Iron Duke sr-4 transmission

That would be my guess.

fogducker III
03-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Shea, if it has the Iron Duke motor you will find a lot of guys who would be very interested in it, they are work horses.......

This is my little brother's site, lots of good info, links and knowledge. Good luck with it. I recently finished a full resto on a 1957 Willys CJ5 so let me know if you are looking for other misc parts, I will either have them or know where to get them. Jeremy

www.island4x4.com (http://www.island4x4.com)

MOP
03-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Shea I ran a Jeep mostly in the woods, I always bring up shackle reversing. Reason being I hit a hidden stump and just by the grace of God got back out of the woods, I hit the left front axle side it came back bending the spring and shoving the drive shaft into the transfer case. The case cracked but held together, it had almost no oil left once I got it home. The guts were fine but I had to stuff them all into a new case, not super costly but dirty and time consuming. Here is a link to the Pro's & Con's of the swap, nope all military jeeps had the shackle in the back. If you have a mil version then the point is mute, one thing in the rough with the shackle forward you can break your thumbs. The shackle kit eliminate the bump steer which caused the sudden wheel jerking.

Phil

Pro & Con Link: http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=260281

glashole
03-08-2010, 03:17 PM
thanks for the info guys

I pick it up tommorrow night and will check it out then and give it a good run as is this weekend and see how the little motor works

if it does work sufficient i may just leave it as is for the time being

will take some pictures when i get it home and dive into seeing exactly what it needs

main plan is to use it as a weekend driver to and from the marina and some screwing around offroad a little bit here and there

maddad
03-08-2010, 07:58 PM
I did that conversion 20 yrs ago using Novak Pcs. and because of the shorter length of motor and trans/transfer case was able to make the rear drive shaft 3" longer and shorten the front. Helps the U-joints last longer if you have a little lift on the CJ-5's.

mrfixxall
03-08-2010, 08:21 PM
thanks for the info guys

I pick it up tommorrow night and will check it out then and give it a good run as is this weekend and see how the little motor works

if it does work sufficient i may just leave it as is for the time being

will take some pictures when i get it home and dive into seeing exactly what it needs

main plan is to use it as a weekend driver to and from the marina and some screwing around offroad a little bit here and there

Make sure the rear axle shackles are still in tact with the frame,they rot out at the frame..

Kirbyvv
03-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Nice find Shea. I've got a '78 CJ7 that I bought new in December 1977 w/ 304 V8. lot's of parts and kits available. Mine has been parked for 10 years waiting on time to do a full body off rebuild. One of these days. It's sitting in a barn at Lake George-check it out at the dust-off.

Want to take a photo of the '78 jeep hooked up to the '78 X-18.

joseph m. hahnl
03-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I thought the CJ5, was the Jeep that rolls over and drags the driver under the roll bar. Had a friend in high school whos father got killed in one.

http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr1616.pdf

glashole
03-10-2010, 06:57 AM
those are the ones

it actually works really good with the 4cyl

just drove it up the road and it seems to pull pretty good

the steering is all over the place though
could be the tires, coul;d be a few things i guess

getting it all checked over today and we'll see what it needs

BUIZILLA
03-10-2010, 07:09 AM
keep the 4 cyl

there's a sh1tload of parts out there to fluff them up for mo powwa

CJmike
03-10-2010, 07:09 AM
The steering is alll over the place becuase of those huge lift shackles. That in turn has caused the front end to rotate and you probable have zero degrees of caster. I have had great luck with cutting and turning the knuckles. Lay it back to 5 to 6 degrees of caster and they go down the road straight.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/narrowing_a_ford_dana44.htm

For a Dana 44 but all the information applies.

glashole
03-10-2010, 08:10 AM
1980 CJ-5
dana 30 front axle
AMC 20 rear axle
Dana 300 Transfercase
151 Iron Duke sr-4 transmission

That would be my guess.

i can confirm all of this except the transfer case because i haven't looked
the guy said it was a dana 35 axle but you are probably correct

is switching in a set or air locking diff's a huge ordeal?

MOP
03-10-2010, 09:13 AM
With those long shackles you need wedges to get the steering back to normal, look under where the springs bolt to the axle they should be a wedge about 5/16" stuffed between the pad and the spring to rotate the axle.

Edit: Also with the long shackles you should have solid bushings, with rubber the axle will move side to side enough to make for wavy steering.

gero1
03-10-2010, 09:47 AM
you'll put your eye out with that thing

McGary911
03-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Cool. Good luck with it. Love to see how it turns out. When I was about 22 or so, I had a 1980 CJ-5. Black, lifted with all the chrome goodies. 1000% rednecked out. I loved it :yes:

Mine had the 258 in it. I'd blow one every 8 months or so. There was a place about 40 minutes away that would sell me a take out for $200 and I'd be on the road again. I was tempted to make the velcro motor mount mod on that thing.

Wish I was smart enough to keep a couple of pics of the thing.

CJmike
03-10-2010, 03:16 PM
i can confirm all of this except the transfer case because i haven't looked
the guy said it was a dana 35 axle but you are probably correct

is switching in a set or air locking diff's a huge ordeal?

To be honest I wouldn't spend that kind of money on those axles. But in theory it is just a little more work than swapping any differential. Just have the adde work of hooking up the air lines and an air source.

But it all kinds of depends on what you plan on doing with it. Tell me more about that and I can make some recommendations.

The Hedgehog
03-11-2010, 07:29 AM
I have a CJ7 with 36's, lockers, 4.88 gears and all the goods. Mine has the 258. It is big fun but I do miss the V-8 sound. I did not pay much for it so I am pretty much keeping it as is.

CJMike here knows his stuff. I dunno if I would go with air lockers either.

Jraysray
03-11-2010, 07:42 AM
I had a 73 CJ-5 lifted 35's full roll cage and a 304. Loved the V-8. Had a bunch more stuff to it but don't feel like typing it up.

Nothing like the ride of a jeep. With the top off. I say keep the 4 banger till you are serious about what you want to do with it and are ready to do it.

Enjoy it for a while first.

glashole
03-11-2010, 08:02 AM
that will be the plan right now

will try it out this weekend and see how it makes out

thanks for the input everyone,

i really am only going to do minimal 4 wheeling with it but was looking to have it sufficiently competant that it will hold its own if need be

my bronco had limited slip front and rear and was pretty unstoppable

hence the lockers (maybe) and leave everything else the same
the 31' tires are brand new and aggresive enough for anything i will do
the 4cyl seems to have lots of torque and i don't have to worry about ripping things apart if i push it to hard

we'll see

Shea

BUIZILLA
03-11-2010, 09:02 AM
why the lockers? just get Eaton heavy duty posi center sections for both ends, use 140w oil... if you get stuck with that you shouldn't be there in the first place :shades:

gero1
03-11-2010, 09:27 AM
down her we's just weld'em togather

CJmike
03-11-2010, 09:41 AM
If it was me. I would find a Dana 44 out of a 1972 to 1975 Jeep CJ-5 for the rear axle. I would go through it and put a detroit locker in it and call it good. Front axle is probable fine as is if you aren't gonna do any serious off roading. But you could go alloy axleshafts that let you run 297 u-joints. If you are gonna drive it on the street in the winter put some sort of selectable locker in the front. Either air locker,electic, or cable actuated. If it will never see 4wd on the street then put another detroit locker in the front. Don't even waste money on a limited slip or posi in a jeep. Great for cars but not for Jeeps that may have one or more tires off the ground at any given time.

http://www.bc4x4.com/thbsjeep/Montrose2000/CR/c2.jpg

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/Elocker/index.htm

http://www.ox-usa.com/ox/Products/Lockers/tabid/429/Default.aspx

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/DetroitLocker/index.htm

CJmike
03-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Old picture of mine back in 1996

http://www.bc4x4.com/thbsjeep/Roll/Roll8.jpg

CJmike
03-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Which somehow by 2005 had turned into this:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/CJMikeK/Twisted%20buggy/RR12008-1.jpg

BUIZILLA
03-11-2010, 09:59 AM
:nilly: :rolleyes:

Jraysray
03-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Whats left from the 96 pic now? The grill and headlights? Holy smokes!

CJmike
03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Honestly I don't think there is a single piece of the original Jeep left anymore. At one point the transfercase was still the original one. But a few years ago I broke the case after the rear output shaft siezed. So it still has a Dana 300 in it but even that is upgraded with 32 spline output shafts and 4 to 1 gears. But there are lots of left over parts that got built during the years that made the transformation to the tube chassis. Even the grille and headlights are not the same. New one is actually downsized replica that is made out of fiberglass. The headlights are off road lights with CJ trim rings to make them look like headlights.

CJmike
03-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh yeah and in case no one figured it out thats why I am CJ Mike. My name is Mike and I am into Jeep CJ's. At one point my dogs names where CJ and Willy. But now we just have Willy. Had a fleet a few years back but have trimmed down to just the race rig these days.

TBroccoli
03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Had a 1976 CJ5 3 speed with a 360hp V8 out of a 1980 wagoneer. 34inch tires and wheelwell headers. The thing sounded as mean as it was. I did my best to get it stuck, but never could. On the pavement I could lift the front tires about 4 inches off the ground. Great fun!

glashole
03-16-2010, 09:15 AM
well it works pretty good with the 4 banger
didn't take it off raod this weekend but rather spent the time and got it safetied and on the road

seems to have ample power to run the 31" tires (no doubt the gearing)and i will keep it as is for the time being

replaced the gas tank and all the fuel lines and sending unit
replaced the rad and fan clutch
new rear brakes
shortened the shackles (had some steering issues) and that cleared that up
patched a bunch of holes and painted the interior

all kinds of fun

looking forward to summer even more

thanks for the imput

Shea

glashole
03-03-2011, 02:22 PM
so

i pooched the motor

i liked the 4cyl and wouldn't be against finding a replacement motor if it were possible to find any

would anyone know where i could locate a rebuilt 4cyl 151 motor?
wreckers here just laugh at me

am going to check into rebuilding the existing but am not sure how bad we did it in because i kept pushing it until it quit and think i may have broke some pretty expensive parts:)

mrfixxall
03-03-2011, 02:47 PM
so

i pooched the motor

i liked the 4cyl and wouldn't be against finding a replacement motor if it were possible to find any

would anyone know where i could locate a rebuilt 4cyl 151 motor?
wreckers here just laugh at me

am going to check into rebuilding the existing but am not sure how bad we did it in because i kept pushing it until it quit and think i may have broke some pretty expensive parts:)

if you want to try the efi swap thing this guy seems to have everything..

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/items-sale-trade-give-away/33286-95-4cyl-drive-train-complete.html

and just to add,,im goting to be doing a swap on a mid 90's jeep,4.0 to be exact..then engine runs fine no noises or knocks,it will be a complete take out efi engine, i will ask how much they want for the engine if you are interested..

Team Jefe
03-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Shea, I've been super happy with the 4.0 6 Cyl

glashole
03-04-2011, 07:20 AM
thanks FIXX I appreciate the generous offer but always seem to have difficulties when i get anything used

http://www.automotix.net/engines/jeep-cj5-inventory.html

found a place that sells a direct bolt in obviously not new engines but still a rebuilt with warrantee(as much as that means when you mail order a motor)

if it all works out i will go this route
i like the little motor and the way it is geared it seems to work great for anything i need to do

apartently NOVAK will supply a complete crate engine of your choice with tranny all assembled on a skid and you just slide it into the jeep

thought that was pretty cool but for the $8+++ didn't think it was the best route for something i use just to screw around with

its not like its a boat

ITTLFLI
03-04-2011, 07:38 AM
+1 on the 4.0!

Fishermanjm
03-04-2011, 07:45 AM
CJMike is right loose thoes shackles and keep the 4 cyl motor, i have a 1978 cj5 with the 258 6 cyl that i built up and a 1985 cj5 with the 304 mopar motor in it, u can get the solid axel kits for the corporate axle nice find it looks like its in pretty good shape check the rear frame just behind the axel for rot on the inside

vrod02
03-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Leave it stock. More power means more weight. like putting a 454 in a sixteen.......:(

my 1951 flat fender 134cid

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/vrod02/STA_1791.jpg

BUIZILLA
03-08-2011, 09:42 AM
there were a LOT of Pontiac's built with 151's, tens of thousands

in fact.. GM Performance Parts Catalog has a section devoted just to them

lot's of 4 cyl sprint race cars used them