PDA

View Full Version : 18 Donzi, Volvo -Bravo conversion question

MR MAGOO
03-08-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm converting my '83 18 Classic from the original Volvo 280T to Bravo. When converting from Volvo to Bravo does the motor retain the same position or is it moved rearward? If so, does anyone know how much farther back it will be mounted?

Thanks,

Kurt

Conquistador_del_mar
03-08-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm converting my '83 18 Classic from the original Volvo 280T to Bravo. When converting from Volvo to Bravo does the motor retain the same position or is it moved rearward? If so, does anyone know how much farther back it will be mounted?

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt,
I will try to remember to look this afternoon and report back on it. I did it a number of years ago on one of my boats. It wasn't much of a move though - I do remember that. What are you going to be doing with the 280T parts? Bill

MR MAGOO
03-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Kurt,
I will try to remember to look this afternoon and report back on it. I did it a number of years ago on one of my boats. It wasn't much of a move though - I do remember that. What are you going to be doing with the 280T parts? Bill

Thanks Bill, I greatly appreciate the info.

I'm looking to sell the entire Volvo 280T unit. It works perfectly, just decided to opt for a complete re-rig with new components. I'd like to get 2k for the drive/transom unit.

Kurt

MR MAGOO
03-09-2010, 06:38 PM
TTT

Thanks!

jg480
03-09-2010, 07:53 PM
kurt, I could be wrong but I think the location of the front motor mount will be different. When I did mine I bolted the motor to the rear mounts with the engine hung from the overhead hoist. Then using the alignment tool aligned the motor. Then drilled the stringers for the front motor mounts. Hope that helps.
Jim

Conquistador_del_mar
03-10-2010, 02:06 AM

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt,
I am sorry that I forgot to check for a couple days now so I just drove back out to my shop tonight to check. Here is the info. I did the exact same thing changing from the 280T to a Bravo setup on my 1985 Eliminator Daytona so I would have to presume we have the same bell housing and intermediate shafts. I used the same motor mounts so I could tell exactly what the difference is. The engine mounts were moved back towards the transom just about exactly 1" and are now about 5/8" higher on mine. I will tell you that I set my Bravo drive to the absolute maximum X dimension so you might actually have to set yours a little lower than before depending on what X dimension you decide to use. Anyway, the engine will be moved rearwards by almost exactly 1" which is what you wanted to know. Bill

MR MAGOO
03-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Kurt,
I am sorry that I forgot to check for a couple days now so I just drove back out to my shop tonight to check. Here is the info. I did the exact same thing changing from the 280T to a Bravo setup on my 1985 Eliminator Daytona so I would have to presume we have the same bell housing and intermediate shafts. I used the same motor mounts so I could tell exactly what the difference is. The engine mounts were moved back towards the transom just about exactly 1" and are now about 5/8" higher on mine. I will tell you that I set my Bravo drive to the absolute maximum X dimension so you might actually have to set yours a little lower than before depending on what X dimension you decide to use. Anyway, the engine will be moved rearwards by almost exactly 1" which is what you wanted to know. Bill

Thank you very much Bill!

Greatly appreciated,

Kurt:shades:

Pismo
03-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Kurt,

Do you have any x dim recommendations given your experience. To high, too low?

Conquistador_del_mar
03-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Do you have any x dim recommendations given your experience. To high, too low?

In this case where I wanted the maximum speed, I ended up calling some experts in Florida who set up tunnel hull boats like my Daytona. They told me how high I could go and still get it on plane using a 4 blade Hydromotive prop. They were spot on. If I have many people on board or much fuel, I have to get them to come forward to help get it on plane, but it runs great after breaking over.
There are some experts on this board who know a lot more about setting the higher X on deep V hulls than myself. I think you basically want the cavitation plate running right at the surface or a little above for the maximum X for top speed, but there are many other factors to consider before going too high - like turning. Maybe someone will jump in here to help or you might start another thread. Bill