PDA

View Full Version : Midnight Crossing....

Last Real Texan
03-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Well the weather has finally decided to lay down for a while and The Hedgehog and I are headed to Tarpon Springs to get the Sportfish and make the jump across to Carrabell and then if everything is going smoothly head on over to Pensacola. The plan is to leave Tarpon springs around 5:30 Sunday afternoon and arrive in Carabelle by 7-8 AM and take on some fuel and continue over to Pensacola.....Hope everything goes smoothly and we have calm water...I'm going to activate Find me spot so anyone who wants to track our progress can do so...I'll post the link tomorrow afternoon...
Keep your fingers crossed:crossfing::crossfing::crossfing: , it's going to be a long night.:drunk:

Tex

BUIZILLA
03-06-2010, 10:08 PM
take a raft and an EPIRB or two..

The Hedgehog
03-07-2010, 10:38 AM
take a raft and an EPIRB or two..

We have some bottle rockets we can use as flairs and a Sevlor inflatable kayak (you know those ones with the clear bottoms), do you think that will be enough?

The Hedgehog
03-08-2010, 07:23 AM
We made Apalachicola at sunrise. Tex is repairing a steering line and it is off again.

VetteLT193
03-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Weather is perfect today. hopefully you'll have a great trip. Rain supposed to roll through tomorrow.

Glad you guys made it safe. the rest of the trip should be really easy.:wink:

zelatore
03-08-2010, 11:31 AM
We have some bottle rockets we can use as flairs and a Sevlor inflatable kayak (you know those ones with the clear bottoms), do you think that will be enough?

Whoa, slow down there mr. big bucks! Us normal guys have to make do with just a couple black-cats and an old inner tube! You don't have to go rubbing it in our face!

Phil S
03-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Sounds like fun guys....travel safe, and tip one up for us now and again !

Sheeesh I'm jealous.... :( :nilly:

Last Real Texan
03-09-2010, 07:02 AM
well I feel like I have been hit by a truck!!! Back home in Macon and the Pacemaker is tucked in nicely in Panama City. She is happy to have a rest... we ran her from 6:00 pm until 5:00 Pm the next day with only a two hour layover for fuel and Parts to fix the steering....She is an Old girl but she can run with the best of them. Night crossings are fun until you go to turn the wheel and nothing...Great trip however! I will post some pics soon.

Tex

boxy
03-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Night crossings are fun until you go to turn the wheel and nothing...Great trip however! I will post some pics soon.
Tex

Who needs steering, I thought you had twin cats???
Drive it like a dozer ...... :kyle::kyle:
Glad you had a safe trip. :shades:

zelatore
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Night crossings are fun until you go to turn the wheel and nothing...

Tex

I know that feeling! Bringing a 55' Princess across the bay one time I was sitting at the flybridge doing about 18 knots and noticed we were coming toward a buoy. I tuned a bit to the side to pass it but didn't get much reaction. Turned a little harder...still no reaction. Now I'm getting excited. Cranked the wheel hard and still nothing, so I grabbed the throttle and backed one down nearly to idle and forced her off to the side, then brought both motors down to idle while I tried to figure out what was going on. Turned out somebody at the lower helm had accidentally engaged the autopilot and there wasn't a controller head at the upper helm to override it. I had a few choice words for the guy, but luckily the solution was as simple as putting the pilot back in standby.

Only thing I don't like about night travel is that I can't see the water for debris. Between radar and chartplotter I'm not too worried about getting lost or hitting anybody, but my radar isn't going to see that old piling floating there waiting to take out my props.

Last Real Texan
03-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Also ....rumor has it the illustrious Blue Donzi Visor made the Crossing with us after a trip to Jackson and the Tetons....