PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Doral on craigslist

smidgen too
03-06-2010, 06:32 PM
I saw this 24' Donzi Doral when she was new at Markley Marine here in the Detroit area around 1975. Having owned a 16' Donzi in the past I thought this Doral would be a cool boat to have. She did not stay on the showroom floor long because the dealership went APBA offshore racing with her in the production boat class. They had to cut her windshield off to meet APBA safety standards but other than some racing numbers she was ready to race. This Donz became P-300 HEAT WAVE raced by Jim Krause. I lost track of her over the years untill I saw her for sale on craigslist two years ago, I knew it was the old HEAT WAVE. I thought it sold but when she popped up again this year I knew I had to have her to add to my collection of old offshore boats. I did not realize how good of shape she was in till I got her home. It needs a good cleaning but it's all there, even the original interior is in very good shape. Other than rebuilding the engines I my have her done this summer. When done I will keep the windshield on but she will have all the old race numbers and name put back on.:cool::cool:

Voodoocanoe
03-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Since there were only a handful of Donzi Dorals produced in that color combo it very well could also be the original one that was used in the Donzi brochure since it looks just like this one.

miike
03-07-2010, 12:50 PM
nice bell bottoms!

smidgen too
03-08-2010, 11:38 PM
nice bell bottoms!
Yes they are,,:yes: I wonder if she is a grandmother now:boggled::boggled:?

thehow33
03-09-2010, 07:48 AM
I really like the lines of the Doral.

Pismo
03-09-2010, 11:04 AM
nice bell bottoms!

So true, it looks so 70s. Cool

smidgen too
09-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Well after a year & a half This Doral finaly made it to the water for it's first test run. All went well with it's new transom. But I had a problem with the sea water pumps, they just dont pull the water through the Volvo drive water pickups. They are a old style Crusader Sherwood pumps. I'm thinking of changing then out for a Johnson F6B-9 crank driven pump. After I get these bugs worked out I will have all winter to clean up the few chips in the hull & finish riging this Donzi to bring her back to her glory day's. This Doral was most likely the only one that raced back in the day.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Far too cool. That looks like it might even be the original Rocket trailer since it has the U shaped beam for the main chassis. Congratulations! Bill

smidgen too
09-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Bill It is a Rocket trailer, it will need some love too. One project some what done now on the the Magnum sport then the Sedan, & then the Cobra. :boggled: :boggled:
I must be nuts. :nilly: Mark

Conquistador_del_mar
09-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Bill It is a Rocket trailer, it will need some love too. One project some what done now on the the Magnum sport then the Sedan, & then the Cobra. :boggled: :boggled:
I must be nuts. :nilly: Mark

---------------------------------------

Mark,
Consider me nuts, too. I just finished installing a newly painted 280 with some polished aluminum parts on my 1971 Donzi, refinished a Bravo drive with a nosecone for my Eliminator, still working on the interior of the 36' Cigarette, and I continue tweaking the Martini along with other projects. No time for my Cobra. :nilly: Bill

Donzi_Dude
09-17-2011, 06:34 PM
just buy a transom mount pickup and be done with it.

awsome boat!

Morgan's Cloud
09-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Yet another great job on saving a (lesser known) classic.
Harry Schoell could sure draw some beautiful hulls .. wish this new lot would take some lessons from him. New boats have become as ugly as new cars :puke:

Now , hows about a few interior shots to give us the complete picture ? ?

smidgen too
09-17-2011, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]
All the interior is still out of the boat, even the engine bulkhead. I did this so when testing her out it's much easier to repair anything. The interior is all original 35+ years old and not that bad. I plan to use it for one more year, but it needs a good clean up. I bought this Donzi as a parts boat for one of my Magnums but this is just to cool to part out, there not another one like it running here on Lake St Clair.

Rob M
09-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Awesome boat! Thanks go to you for preserving it.

biggiefl
09-18-2011, 10:23 AM
There was a blue one in FL for sale recently. I think it had twin SBC's as well but needed a resto. There is also a sweet restored one in TX with twin Merc 200's on a bracket.

smidgen too
09-18-2011, 11:06 AM
I saw the blue one in Florida, that one being a salt water boat it's going to need lots of work. The bad thing about these Dorals are they made these with a inner hull line so it was easier to change the deck for models like El Pescador, Spitfire while using the same hull. The liner in the engine bay and transoms hid all the sins in the wood transom & stringers. Much of my wood in the transom was not glass coated. The pic shows how mine looked. If you do not do the work yourself it going to cost you $$$$$$$$.

mattyboy
09-19-2011, 10:36 AM
very nice, I can't explain I'm not a big yellow fan when it is just yellow and white and not a big orange fan. BUT put the yellow and orange together and it is one of my favorite color combos on a classic.

Tidbart
09-19-2011, 01:48 PM
If it the blue one I am thinking of, it has been for sale for years. Showed up at the Mt. Dora show year after year.
Transom was rotted out, if I remember what Poodle had said.

Bob

smidgen too
10-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Anyone using the stock mechanical steering on a twin engine boat ? I have always had some sort of power steering on all the boats I have had, but this Doral has stock mechanical steering. I know now why there is such a large wheel at the helm, you need it. I steers good in a straight line, but making turns it's tuff . I know I can put Hynautic system on it but I would like to keep the old school way. Any Ideas ??? Here is a pic of how mine looks

smidgen too
05-28-2012, 11:26 PM
I finally completed my Donzi Doral last week. It still even has it's 38 year old original interior. My goal was to have it done by Memorial Day, & I made with two days to spare. It runs much better now that I change the camshafts to marine cams as the engines had drag race cams with way to much duration. With those cams it would not idle below 1200 rpm, now it idles @ 700rpm. This Doral should make a good addition to my collection of boats with out braking the bank.

mattyboy
05-29-2012, 06:38 AM
very nice very nice

Morgan's Cloud
05-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Def something to be proud of (and keep ) !

olredalert
05-29-2012, 10:10 AM
----I knew you could pull it off, Mark. The boat looks great. Hope you got out to the Moot over the weekend. I have been semi laid up with back pain, but its getting a bit better today........Bill S

smidgen too
05-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks Bill... I heard the Moot was rocking Sunday till that storm came through. With all the boats tied up together some were damage when it hit. :boggled: We deffenetly have to take the Donzi's to Browns for bucket of beer & lunch. :yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
05-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Wow Mark - far too cool! Could you install internal hydraulic steering operating off a steering helm pump? At least it would look original from the outside. Bill

smidgen too
05-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Thanks Bill. My 24' Cobra [LiL' SMIDGEN Too] has the steering that way. The Donzi steering is tight but I can live with it for now. Being it has twins when I'm docking I just use the engines. I'm now going to really get on the Magnums restoration, hope to be done by mid July with the Mag. :nilly: Mark

Ranman
05-30-2012, 09:12 AM
I just got to reading through this thread. Very nice. I'm wondering if the Jim Krause you mentioned is the same Jim Krause who is the Harbormaster at Belle Maer?

Also, in the last pic of you anchored up, that looks like Poormans Bay in front of Belle Maer / MacRay Harbor, no?

I'm hoping to get me Donzi out a few times this season myself, I took the cover off yesterday and began the summarizing process.

smidgen too
05-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes that's Jim from Belle Maer. Back in the day Jim was the Donzi dealer @ Markley Marine. This is the second race boat I have owned that Jim raced, I also had the Magnum [SHOWDOWN] that Jim raced from back then. And yes that's poormans beach.

Ed Donnelly
05-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Now that is a beautiful Donzi...Ed

olredalert
05-30-2012, 06:28 PM
----Randy,,,You have been missed! Have you been out to the Moot yet? We need to talk, bud........Bill S

Ranman
05-31-2012, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bill. I sold my Formula about three weeks ago, so I haven't been out to LSC yet. I'm in the process of recomissioning the Donzi in hopes of getting out there at least a few times this year. The little guy (6 mos old now) is keeping my hands full, but he's really really fun :-)

olredalert
05-31-2012, 06:09 PM
----Little guy had slipped my mind, Randy. Big congrats!!!!! New life for you guys for sure. Ill call you in the office. Thats probably the only place you will get any time off for the forseeable future, LOL!.........Bill S

MDonziM
06-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Marc,

Nice find with the Doral and great resto of her. If you get the Magnum done this summer it would be a blast to try and get a few out here for the 100mi version of the Around LI Race on 9/22.

- Marshall

DonziChris
06-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Nice job on the Doral Mark.

Hope too see up at Johns this summer.

Chris

smidgen too
12-28-2012, 09:46 PM
I recieved this pic of a Donzi Spitfire that raced the GLOPRA offshore series back in the day. Looks like my Doral was not alone racing back then, PUTT PUTT was raced by Jay Smith. This Donzi PUTT PUTT was the begaining of a long string of PUTT PUTT race boats [many brands] that lead Jay to eventually becoming President of APBA Offshore.

olredalert
12-29-2012, 09:00 AM
----Wow, Mark!!! Very cool!!! Wonder where that Spitfire may be hiding??? Anybody seen it anywhere, anytime??? Is Jay Smith any relation to the Wolverine family at all?.......Bill S

1996Z15
12-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Spitfires are one of the nicest looking boats ever made IMO. Anyone else notice the KAAMA sign in the distance? Didn't Betty Cook race a boat sponsored by them?

mattyboy
12-29-2012, 10:21 AM
here's a spitfire used to run around my lake in the mid 1970's was named Jamsey boy shortly after this pic, had hot sbc's and edrives

thanks to superhatz who came up with the pic. I'm trying to track down it's whereabouts

they are awesome looking boats

JayZ
12-29-2012, 10:57 AM
so what would be a fair price for a spitfire project needing engines and drives? I read hear that they can be expensive to restore due the nature of the construction...

mattyboy
12-29-2012, 11:03 AM
depending on how bad one "wants" one I would say 2k-5k depending on condition hull only slightly higher for drives no motors

olredalert
12-29-2012, 01:45 PM
----Wow, Matty! That one even has the deluxe seats. Im not a fan of them in a Spitfire because of space constraints but they are cool. Thanks for the pic........Bill S

Ghost
12-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Someone on the board had an orange one for sale in MD a couple years back. Super nice guy. (I was interested and was planning to go have a look at it, then a huge family emergency hit and I forgot all about it. Felt bad months later when it hit me again.) It had working motors and drives and was very usable, allowing any resto work on one's own schedule. Volvo boat as I recall. Price was very reasonable in my view, maybe 11 or 12 with the trailer?

mattyboy
12-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Bill

I wish I had a pic of it when it was in the boat house. My lake being on the small side all the boat houses were built for 18-20 foot wood boats a very few boat houses were bigger. the boat house this one sat in was made of field stone and all that hung out was that big azz end with the volvos and the donzi decals. it was crammed in there. yes I always recall the big deluxe seats as he ran around the lake. Would love to find it today

the orange boat belonged to a guy named Stan i think. Pearson test rode the boat said it was a clean decent boat was 13k back before the fiscal cliff.

silverghost
12-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Spitfires are one of the nicest looking boats ever made IMO. Anyone else notice the KAAMA sign in the distance? Didn't Betty Cook race a boat sponsored by them?

Betty Cook & family actually once owned & started KAAMA Engineering Surface Drives.
They are very similar in design to the Arneson surface piercing drive.
I don't know if KAAMA , or Arneson, was the first company to develop this surface drive concept ? I believe Betty had a falling-out with the Arneson owner and decided to start her own surface drive company to skirt any of Arneson's design pat. rights.

With her racing efforts she helped develop & prove this unique drive's surface percing concept.
She was very successful in her boat racing efforts at many very famous top offshore boat race venues using her own KAAMA drives.
She eventually became World Champion !

Betty Cook has sadly long since passed-away.
But I believe her KAAMA Engineering Drive company still lives on in some very small form ?~
But on a very small scale ; and is now only operated by her former designer & some former KAAMA employees just to supply old left-over NOS spare KAAMA repair parts ?

A fellow In Ocean City NJ who keeps his original twin KAAMA powered raceboat at All-Seasons Marina 34th street & Marmora said he can still buy almost any replacement parts he needs directly from KAAMA Engineering ???
His boat is a red 38' Scarab with white deck along with two foot high KAAMA letters on it's sides.
It is said to be a former Betty Cook race campaigned race boat.
Very COOL boat indeed !

Betty Cook was truly the first lady of boat racing in the 1970s-80s.
She was one of the very first, & very few, successful women racers that other top offshore boat racers really took seriously.

Conquistador_del_mar
12-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Second Effort was also in the surface drive game. I believe both Arneson and Second Effort preceded Kaama. Here is a good article on the drives from 1982. Bill

http://www.howardarneson.com/articles/article6.asp

smidgen too
12-30-2012, 06:51 PM
[Is Jay Smith any relation to the Wolverine family at all?.......Bill S ]
Jay Smith is no relationship to Pete [ Wolverine ] Smith...

[I don't know if KAAMA , or Arneson, was the first company to develop this surface drive concept ]

Howard Arneson was the first of the two to have that type of drive system. He had this boat & drive on Sea Sweep around 1977.

silverghost
12-31-2012, 03:06 PM
[I don't know if KAAMA , or Arneson, was the first company to develop this surface drive concept ]

Howard Arneson was the first of the two to have that type of drive system. He had this boat & drive on Sea Sweep around 1977.

Thank's for the Arneson drive vs KAAMA info; and also your great early photos of these early race protype Arneson surface piercing drives.
They do appear very unique & robust indeed ; and quite unlike the later factory production-style Arneson drives that I am familar with seeing locally in New Jersey.

It would appear that the lateral side-to-side swinging & steering style Arneson surface drive units came along a bit later and thus the giant aft center rudder could be eventually eleminated.

Does "Sea Sweep" still exist in the hands of any collector out there today ?

It appears that this raceboat was really a ground breaking revolutionary boat & surface piercing drive combination.
Did "Sea Sweep" ever win any/many races ?

smidgen too
01-01-2013, 09:48 PM
I believe it was this Arneson wood cat, it won it's first major race @ the Key West Worlds in 1983 with the Arneson drives.. I had this Active cat years ago, it had KAAMA drives. It was a fun cat to run, but don't rip the rubber boots. Some of the KAAMA parts are still available @ Archer Marine in Cali, but the boots ?????????

mattyboy
01-11-2013, 09:41 AM
then there is this Doral , Tuxedo Pk's old boat that was for sale by the marina on the hudson think it was going for back storage was a year or so ago

twin 350's and volvo with nose cones