PDA

View Full Version : Another project: speaker grills

DickB
03-03-2010, 09:13 AM
The boat is still in storage, and my wife and I have become snowbirds, so there is really no work going on with this project right now. I actually started designing some speaker grills many months ago. Every so often I would come back to the project and work on some more design ideas. A few weeks ago I got to the point where I wanted to see what my current design would look like, and to check the fit. So I machined a draft piece using scrap wood. The grain direction and species is wrong, but it allowed me to confirm the fit and make a few tweaks. When we return, I plan to machine a pair in mahogany to match my dash and other mahogany bits.

I’m thinking about eventually replacing the entire upholstered side panels of my boat with custom mahogany panels, and these grills would become part of those panels. The front speakers are in the traditional kick panel space of white fiberglass. I’m thinking white grills might look better there. So I’m investigating alternative materials to finish in white. Epoxy-coated maple is where I’m leaning at the moment.

VetteLT193
03-03-2010, 09:26 AM
I love they way they look. My only suggestion from a sound perspective is to open them up as much as possible. they look to be on the restrictive side as far as that goes.

Considering they are 3 dimensional, can you make the prop 3D? that would be killer.

DickB
03-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Opening them up is a trade-off between open area and strength. The original plastic grills are slotted with only 50% open. But I did work on an alternate design that was more open and more like contemporary grills. Maybe I should go back to that one.

I can make the prop 3D and had thought of that myself, but then decided against it.

You may have givem me the inspriration to work on the design some more.

VetteLT193
03-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I would think... (consider that I don't have any experience cutting these) that you could do the design above with a slightly larger prop and nothing else. Meaning, the prop would hold the whole thing together...

Jraysray
03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Opening them up is a trade-off between open area and strength. The original plastic grills are slotted with only 50% open. But I did work on an alternate design that was more open and more like contemporary grills. Maybe I should go back to that one.

I can make the prop 3D and had thought of that myself, but then decided against it.

You may have givem me the inspriration to work on the design some more.

I like it! Have you thought about selling them?

VetteLT193
03-03-2010, 11:13 AM
rough idea of what I'm saying...

DickB
03-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I like it! Have you thought about selling them?

I have. Send me a PM if interested.

DickB
03-03-2010, 12:48 PM

Got it.

There are two considerations though. My speakers are coaxial, with a tweeter that actually mounts to the grill. So I need a ring about 1" in diameter to support it, or come up with another way to mount it. Second, I want to keep the prop in the same proportion to the overall diameter as is the Donzi logo.

But I'm going to play with variations on this idea.

jimishooch
03-04-2010, 08:25 AM

little fingers...........

thehow33
03-04-2010, 08:44 AM
first off, that looks great, you're obviously a professional.

My only 2 cents would be to make 2 designs one more closed and one more open then attach them to your speakers and do a sound test to see how much they actually effect the sound. You might find that the more closed design really doesn't bother you at all and you can go with your original design.
I personally like the slightly more open design, but I also agree that you shouldn't enlarge the prop too much. If you enlarge the prop it will take away from the awesome border.

Good Luck

DickB
03-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks again for your suggestions. I‘m glad that I posted this as a work in progress, so that I could get some feedback.

I worked up a modified design. The prop is 3D with angled and slightly curved blades. The recessed ring around the prop preserves the proportions of the logo but provides plenty support I think. The smaller ring at the center of the prop is needed for my tweeter, but could be eliminated in other applications. If these rings were painted black on a wood version, I think it would look nice. The lettering could also be painted.

Some carving colleagues with the machine that I have report good luck using PVC house trim “lumber” from the home centers. I think that might make a good substrate for white grills. I will give that a try.

VetteLT193
03-05-2010, 06:47 AM
those are awesome. how much do you think you would sell them for?

PlumCrazy
03-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks again for your suggestions. I‘m glad that I posted this as a work in progress, so that I could get some feedback.

I worked up a modified design. The prop is 3D with angled and slightly curved blades. The recessed ring around the prop preserves the proportions of the logo but provides plenty support I think. The smaller ring at the center of the prop is needed for my tweeter, but could be eliminated in other applications. If these rings were painted black on a wood version, I think it would look nice. The lettering could also be painted.

Some carving colleagues with the machine that I have report good luck using PVC house trim “lumber” from the home centers. I think that might make a good substrate for white grills. I will give that a try.

:thumbsup:

DickB
03-07-2010, 11:17 AM
those are awesome. how much do you think you would sell them for?
I'm not sure as I haven't made a set yet, but maybe $50-$75 for a pair. I'd need to get Donzi's permission too.

Sweet Cheekz
03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Dick
You do some really creative things over there!
What is the brand of speakers you have that these fit? Thanks
Parnell

DickB
03-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Thanks. I have Infinity Kappa speakers, but it should not be difficult to build these grills to fit others. I can sometimes find dimensions on line from make and model.

DickB
04-15-2010, 08:22 PM
I made this pair from PVC trim board, Restoration by CertainTeed, from the home center. The one on the left is fresh from the machine; the one on the right has been sanded. I will finish with Krylon Fusion plastic paint.

Jraysray
04-15-2010, 09:29 PM
I will take 4 when you are ready to sell.

VetteLT193
04-16-2010, 08:26 AM
They look FANTASTIC.

I would be shocked if Donzi didn't want to buy some from you themselves. It's a great, affordable, and fresh custom feature. :cool:

DickB
04-19-2010, 09:00 AM
I have a few design details to work on and check out when I make my next pair.

DickB
04-22-2010, 09:00 AM
I brought the port side panel into the shop and started working on a mahogany replacement. It's coming together. The last picture is the panel insert design in progress.

DickB
04-23-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm really happy with the results of this test panel. The shield logo 3D effects came out better than expected. I just need to make a few tweaks, then I'll cut the final mahogany panel. The back of the frame will be rabbited so that the panel will be forward about a quarter inch.

DickB
05-06-2010, 07:44 PM
After more finesse work and many more test cuts, I FINALLY got a grill design that I'm happy with. It was mostly a case of learning fine points of the the software packages I am using.

The panels are done and getting finish coats of spar urethane. Ditto the Donzi clock.

I decided to paint the throttle/shift plate the same color as my gauge bezels.

Should get this all installed next week.

ITTLFLI
05-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Incredible work!

thehow33
05-07-2010, 07:23 AM
WoW that looks great!

CHACHI
05-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Dick, once again, the work people on this site can pull off amazes me.

Beautiful.

Ken

DickB
08-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Here are some updated photos of the finished project:

Jraysray
08-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Here are some updated photos of the finished project:

Are you ready to sell any yet?

yeller
08-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Are you ready to sell any yet?
Yes..seriously...will make some to sell?

I need four in the pvc.

I love the way you painted part of it to match the speaker so it looks like the prop is floating.

Boat looks great! Have you thought of putting a wood floor in?

DickB
08-28-2010, 10:27 AM
I would be willing to make some.

A while ago I compared specs on four or five different 6-1/2" marine speakers and found no two of them had the exact same dimensions such as mounting hole position, frame diameter, etc. So the grills need to be designed to your speaker's specs. Also, some grills snap on, and I have no way to machine that kind of mounting, so the design would need to be changed to use screws for the grills as well as the speakers. Send me a pm and let's see if we can figure something out.

Jraysray
08-28-2010, 10:40 AM
I would be willing to make some.

A while ago I compared specs on four or five different 6-1/2" marine speakers and found no two of them had the exact same dimensions such as mounting hole position, frame diameter, etc. So the grills need to be designed to your speaker's specs. Also, some grills snap on, and I have no way to machine that kind of mounting, so the design would need to be changed to use screws for the grills as well as the speakers. Send me a pm and let's see if we can figure something out.

What if I sent you one of my grills?

sweet 16 1966
08-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Dick,

Looks fantastic.
Can't believe your season is over!