PDA

View Full Version : How much hp is too much

shipwreck
03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
We have just built a classic 18 fully custom.
We took the OMC small block and built it and accented with a procharger now it dynos at alittle over 500Hp. Any thoughts on performance ?
The transom was rotton ,and as we all know OMC is no longer so we changed it to a bravo 1. How well will this boat take it.

osur866
03-02-2010, 01:34 PM
It oughta haul butt, if it doesn't have full hyd. steering I'd very much consider it! I'd love to hear your #'s when you get it out. Steve

MOP
03-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Sounds like it will be a great ride, steering, drive shower will be musts. When dialed in it will be wicked! A suggestion try to keep your WOT RPM close to 5k, some rum higher but the drives don't hold up as good up higher.

Carl C
03-03-2010, 07:53 AM
It will be fine. You will probably end up wanting even more. Good luck keeping the Bravo together!

The Hedgehog
03-03-2010, 07:54 AM
You should have a blast. I would not blink about throwing 500 hp in my X-18.

It will be a handful though. Ditto on what these guys said about drive cooling and steering. The correct prop will also make a heck of a difference. You will also be seeing numbers where you could really benefit from an IMCO shorty. Steve here did a bunch of testing. His 18 liked it in the 70's. Once you get well into the 80's the hydrodynamic benefit will probably make more of a difference.

I had a number of people tell me I was crazy to stick over 850hp in my 26ZX. I did it and it is a riot.

mattyboy
03-03-2010, 08:35 AM
the 18 you have built will be very unique and will have a feel very much different from any other 18 .
with your addition of the fairing and the use of those buckets which are mounted lower than a standard bucket on a pedistal and the higher seat back will give a more "IN" the boat feel rather than an "ON" the boat feel a 16 or an 18 give you. a more secure feeling i would think especially when you put the spurs to her

I love the color too, very tempted to use that color blue on the hornet and it's trailer

very nice good luck :)

MOP
03-03-2010, 09:50 AM
I have to take a guess on how quick this little beast will be!!

95+ when dialed in.

Phil

The Hedgehog
03-04-2010, 12:20 AM
I have to take a guess on how quick this little beast will be!!

95+ when dialed in.

Phil

That would be pretty dialed in. High 80's in a walk.

I don't disagree with the potential. The force is strong in this one Luke! I would love to see 95. This thing is BAD.

Carl C
03-04-2010, 06:42 AM
I'd guess closer to 85 mph. Hopefully this hull doesn't have any porpoising or chine walking issues. My 22 doesn't but some Classics seem to have these problems:confused:.

osur866
03-04-2010, 11:55 AM
I'd guess high 80's to low 90's when dialed in, dual ram steering, shorty, some seat time and a big pair and he's there :wink:. Steve