PDA

View Full Version : Kindle e-Book Reader

RedDog
03-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Donzi Deb gave me an Amazon Kindle e-Book Reader for my birthday. This is one slick and elegantly designed gadget. I love gadgets and I love to read. I'm really liking this. :yes:

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/kindle2.jpg

Ghost
03-01-2010, 01:40 PM
They look cool. Some interesting tradeoffs with the physical book.

Jraysray
03-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Don't you miss the feel of a book/paper? Kinda give a new twist to the paper or plastic question.

Ghost
03-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Don't you miss the feel of a book/paper? Kinda give a new twist to the paper or plastic question.

LOL, the paper or plastic idea is genius.

If you're just reading a novel, or skimming for a few things out of multiple books, I would think a kindle would be perfect. Small, and with text search.

If you're studying something deeply, especially something like hard sciences, I would think a physical book would win out.

Phil S
03-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Thought about this for both my son & daughter (age 12). On a car trip though, what happens when the battery runs down ? I'm already outta 12-v plugs for everything else they seem to have to charge all at once. (i-pods, laptop, cellphone...sheesh !)

Cool book though...may still end up with one ! May have to go to dual-battery set-up on my car though ! Very nice gift for a reader methinks !

Phil S.

CHACHI
03-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Tim, nice manicure.

Ken

RedDog
03-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Thought about this for both my son & daughter (age 12). On a car trip though, what happens when the battery runs down ? I'm already outta 12-v plugs for everything else they seem to have to charge all at once. (i-pods, laptop, cellphone...sheesh !)
Cool book though...may still end up with one ! May have to go to dual-battery set-up on my car though ! Very nice gift for a reader methinks !
Phil S.

Battery use is almost non-existent; specially when the wireless networking is turned off. A charge should hold for a couple of weeks use. The screen is not lighted. Power is only used when you turn a page. The screen looks just like a real paper page. Real easy on the eyes.

PS - is also has a primitive web browser that does not require a subscription and a simple MP3 player

McGary911
03-02-2010, 07:25 AM
My dad got himself the Sony version, and he loves it.

One thing you gotta watch, is the book pricing. Just after Christmas, Amazon announced an agreement with the publishers that will raise many prices by 50% for many. I thought that was a bit shady.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/11/technology/11reader.html?scp=11&sq=amazon%20kindle&st=cse

Even with me being kind of a gadget guy, I'll stick with a bound book for now. Heck, I'm one of the only adults I know with a library card. :boggled: