PDA

View Full Version : Out Drive Trouble!

breeze400
02-28-2010, 02:35 PM
:shocking::shocking::shocking: I have been haveing problems with my OMC 7.4 King Cobra outdrive for the last couple of years. Long story short. It needs the lower geer set replaced. Problems shifting forward to reverse. I have A shop here who can do the job. About $600.00 plus labor. Or I can go with A rebuilt lower from anoughter dealer for $1800.00. Any sugestions? Sam.
:confused::confused::confused:

NJFASTECH
02-28-2010, 05:44 PM
I would have to think the gear set is at least 3 to 4 hundred alone? How is the shift cable smooth or hard to work? Don't sound to bad.

mrfixxall
02-28-2010, 06:51 PM
:shocking::shocking::shocking: I have been haveing problems with my OMC 7.4 King Cobra outdrive for the last couple of years. Long story short. It needs the lower geer set replaced. Problems shifting forward to reverse. I have A shop here who can do the job. About $600.00 plus labor. Or I can go with A rebuilt lower from anoughter dealer for $1800.00. Any sugestions? Sam.
:confused::confused::confused:

Does it shift fine when the boat's engine is off?

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/kw-shift.html

bigdawgchallenger
02-28-2010, 07:35 PM
I LOVE a good warranty, what are they offering?

Phil S
03-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Are you absolutely sure that is what is needed ? Mine (an SX drive) was having similar issues, but it turned out to be the "lever" that the transom end of the shift cable attaches to....$159.00 part. It was worn and slightly bent. They did pull the lower and inspected the gears and said they were fine....not my usual luck, but I'll take it !

Good luck and keep us posted...

With kind regards,
Phil S

MOP
03-01-2010, 03:19 PM
If it has the hump hard shifting is in the upper cone assy, the lower does not have any shift mechanism! They may not know what they are fooling with!!!!

Phil S
03-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Thank you MOP ! Hoping you had made it back from the South, and weren't too snowed in to take this thread over soon....:wink:

WKR,
Phil S.

breeze400
03-03-2010, 10:42 AM
The gear set for my drive is $600.00. Everything from the cables to the shifter to the assembly in the transome mount hase been replased or rebuilt. This has been ongoing for the last few years. I have the 7.4 OMC king cobra drive. the lower gear case is where the forward and reverse gears are. Along with the shift dog. What happens with these drives is that the shift dog wears out along with some wear on the two gears and then you can not adjust the linkage so that it will shift from forward to reverse. Or vica versa. It will go into reverse if you put it in by hand at the top on the engine were the shift linkage is.

I have since fond out the A rebuilt lower is $1850.00 A new one is $2250.00 but because I have the 7.4, they will not warenty it. So I'm leaning towards rebuilding mine.

And no it won"t shift with the motor off. you iether get forward and no reverse or reverse and no forward. Kind of rough when you trying to dock the boat! LOL.

Sam :cool!::cool!::cool!:

RedDog
03-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Sounds like you do NOT have the "hump" model with cone-clutch shifter. I wonder if a deal on the newer version could be found? May have much fewer problems in the long run.

breeze400
03-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Sounds like you do NOT have the "hump" model with cone-clutch shifter. I wonder if a deal on the newer version could be found? May have much fewer problems in the long run.

Not sure if you can see the drive well or not. It is simalar to A brovo. The upper hast the ratio gears and the lower has the transmision. I'm looking around the net now. I do A lot of things through Doug Russel but they want over 3 grand for A rebuild.

RedDog
03-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Some options:

454 OMC BIG BLOCK W/KING COBRA DRIVE - $2000 (TAMPA FL)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-02-28, 3:00PM EST
Reply to: sale-3rw3a-1622005813@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
454 OMC BIG BLOCK WITH KING COBRA OUTDRIVE, ENGINE RUNS NEEDS WORK, OUTDRIVE JUST COMPLETELY REBUILT
727-831-4662
***OMC KING Cobra outdrive*** - $2800 (Brownstown Michigan)
Date: 2010-02-23, 4:14PM EST
Reply to: sale-3xynt-1614614150@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Cone clutch style used in 1990 and newer. This is NOT the clutch dog style used in 1989 and prior. Excellent condition, ready to ship.
Call 734-281-6902 for further information.
OMC KING COBRA LOWER UNIT - $2900 (FOX LAKE)
Date: 2010-02-17, 8:43PM EST
Reply to: sale-wfaay-1605837240@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
THIS OMC KING COBRA DRIVE CAME OFF MY 1992 FOURWINNS LIBERATOR IT IS THE BIG KING COBRA CLUTCH CONE NOT THE CLUTCH DOG. IT WAS USED BEHIND BIG BLOCK ENGINES AND WORKED PERFECT THIS PAST SEASON BEFORE IT WAS REMOVED AND WAS RECENTLY OVERHAULED BY LOCAL MARINE.
PLEASE CALL OR TEXT WITH ANY QUESTIONS
I DO NOT HAVE A VOICEMAIL SET UP
STEVE (847)791-5079
OMC KING Cobra Outdrive - $1600 (Eastern PA)
Date: 2010-02-15, 10:15PM EST
Reply to: sale-gqfnk-1602746759@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
New reman OMC Cobra V-8 outdrive with 0 hrs $1600 firm !

breeze400
03-03-2010, 01:01 PM
I do not think the cone clutch will work with mine. I'm looking at sights right now for prices on rebuilds. Like I said before. I'll problly get mine rebuilt here at home. I also just found A place in Toronto that rebuilds them. I am A trucker and Toronto is on my delivery list! :yes::yes::yes:
Sam.

mrfixxall
03-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I do not think the cone clutch will work with mine. I'm looking at sights right now for prices on rebuilds. Like I said before. I'll problly get mine rebuilt here at home. I also just found A place in Toronto that rebuilds them. I am A trucker and Toronto is on my delivery list! :yes::yes::yes:
Sam.

If the boat is 89 and earlier its a dog clutch style..you should have 2 micro switches in the engine bay where the shift cables are connected to..If the shift cables have any slop in them it will be hard to shift, omc has a extensive procedure to adjust the shift cables ans special tools to do so..if it goes in and out of gear while the boat is not running then you have either something is loose in the shift mechanism or the cables are stretched..

Find someone that has the experience with OMC and has the correct tools to adjust the cables..

PlumCrazy
03-03-2010, 01:39 PM
SEI sells a Cobra conversion kit to run their Gen II replacement drive. The drive has a 3 year fault-free warranty. I haven't seen a bad story about SEI, yet.

http://www.sterndrive.cc/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9D-116&Category_Code=Cobra

breeze400
03-03-2010, 01:56 PM
If the boat is 89 and earlier its a dog clutch style..you should have 2 micro switches in the engine bay where the shift cables are connected to..If the shift cables have any slop in them it will be hard to shift, omc has a extensive procedure to adjust the shift cables ans special tools to do so..if it goes in and out of gear while the boat is not running then you have either something is loose in the shift mechanism or the cables are stretched..

Find someone that has the experience with OMC and has the correct tools to adjust the cables..

Been there done that. Shift cables have been replaced 2 times in the last 2 years. BIG WAST OF MONEY LAST YEAR. I told the machanic I replaced both shift cable the year before and the shifter. He still insisted it was the cable. $600.00 later lasted 2 weeks.

SEI sells a Cobra conversion kit to run their Gen II replacement drive. The drive has a 3 year fault-free warranty. I haven't seen a bad story about SEI, yet.

I just looked at that conversion kit at Crowley Marine. Only good for 300 HP. Mine is stock 340 HP. engine hasen't been stock since 1990. LOL now If I can find A brovo conversion kit I would seriously considder it!

Sam :cool::cool::cool:

mrfixxall
03-03-2010, 02:22 PM
then if must be either the cables are mis adjusted or the bell crank may be slightly seized..

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/sb4052_4.jpg

joseph m. hahnl
03-03-2010, 05:51 PM
There are a lot of boat stripper outfits all over the country. They specialize in used out drives. Do a search on craig look.
http://craiglook.com/.

breeze400
03-04-2010, 11:39 PM
then if must be either the cables are mis adjusted or the bell crank may be slightly seized..

I have messed with the cables and had OMC machanics charge me An arm and leg to adjust the cables for the last 3 years. General consensis is that I need A lower gear set. Very comen on OMC Cobra drive.:eek::eek::eek:

PS Fixx Can you E-Mail me the page you posted here. breeze400@yahoo.com

There are a lot of boat stripper outfits all over the country. They specialize in used out drives. Do a search on craig look.

I have found lots of used drives out there. Problem is I want A rebuilt with A warenty. Otherwise I'll just have mine rebuilt. LOL It's in the back of the pickup now. I'm going to drop it off tomorrow!.
Sam :yes::yes::yes:

breeze400
03-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Well, the drive is all rebuilt. Picked it up on Saterday. The marine dealer I took it to, Anchor Marine in Grand Island, NY. Had it done in A week. They had the parts in stock and had A spare lower in stock just incase! Great job!! I'm happie. Now to get the boat out of storage and try it out!! LOL. It was A little pricey at $1735.00 including tax. But the prices I got on line for just parts were much more. Thanks to everyone for there advice. I hate to say it, LOL but my son found this place. Now I have to give him credit for helping. Oh Well, LOL.

Sam :yes::yes::yes: