PDA

View Full Version : engine rebuild 454/330

jbenzeleski
02-28-2010, 12:17 PM
i am planning a rebuild of both my engines i have a rebuild kit from summitt with forged pistons i'll keep the comp under 10-1 i have two holley 800cfm carbs and one performer rpm manafold will the manafold work on a boat and will the carbs work or do i neeed a marine carb i want to install a little bigger cam. any suggestions? i want to stay with a flat tappet i also have a set of crane gold roller rockers thanks for any help ...

bigdawgchallenger
02-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Dont forget that you want both engines to be identical. So you will have to buy another kit. When I ordered my engines (US engine as we spoke of earlier) They sugested the performer intake and a 750 cfm carb. Thats what they used to produce the advertised 420 hp. As for the carbs, Ive always been told don't use a street carb for marine, but I'm sure others have more knowledge in this area.

Mike

mrfixxall
02-28-2010, 09:11 PM
once you get into them your going to find (if its a salt water boat) a whole bunch of nasty rust! my suggeation is to find a pair of big blocks already done..the 330hp have tiny rods and cast crank the first thing to go will be the rods,your going to end up beating or even braking the pistons apart to get them out..i had the same thing happen to a engine in one of my boats and opted to find a good set of 502's i went through..

jbenzeleski
03-01-2010, 05:05 PM
thanks for the info not sure if its a salt water boat theres no pitting or corrosion on the drives ill pull them apart and let you know what i find

VetteLT193
03-01-2010, 07:26 PM
check offshoreonly and some other places for full reman engines. you would be surprised... the market sucks so bad that I have seen engines fully built for less than the cost of parts.