PDA

View Full Version : Medallion 152 '94 90hp - New owner questions

Guapo Gabacho
02-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Hello all,

I am the new owner of a 152 that has set under a tree for the past nine years. Its owner was killed and his widow finally wanted it out of the yard and I aquired it. My only interest was that it said Donzi, but even if it is a dog, I want to tube my kids with it and do the family thing. At the price I paid I can afford to spend some money to fix it up. As soon as I get a key for it I will install a battery and do the engine stuff, but first I have a few questions:

1. The cushions are gone and I am told that it is best to get them fabricated locally, but what is that purple stuff in the front "tub" in the photos of a new one? Mine has bare white fiberglass seats.

2. On the underside of the engine cover are two black plastic pole holders, but no pole. What is missing and what is it for, please?

Tidbart
02-26-2010, 09:51 AM
#2 is probably a holder for the detachable light pole.
Something like this: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/66631/377%20710%201607/712/Exterior%20/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201607&Ne=712&Ntt=Exterior%20&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=9&classNum=236#

Need photos for #1

B

Guapo Gabacho
02-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks B, #2 was on reflection one made by an obvious day-sailor, like me. I am sure that is what it is for.

Looking for a good picture caused me to see that question #1 is two mats. Do you think Donzi will be my only possible supplier?
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/2/1/8/2/5/2182500_5.jpg?1267126978000

Tidbart
02-26-2010, 11:03 AM
A good marine upholsterer should be able to make you something. I would believe that you would get nowhere with Donzi on anything of that nature.

Just Say N20
02-26-2010, 01:41 PM
When you get it running, that boat with the Mercury Sport Jet 90 (was a Force engine, and Mercury bought them) should be able to plane off with 3 adults without a huge effort. The Sport Jet 90 was a relatively low power unit.

I had a boat with that power plant and was able to slalom ski behind it if I did a dock start. At 200 lbs it barely had enough power to pull me up. Tubing should be fine.

The engine (I added a tach) will turn 5,000 - 5,200 rpms at WOT, and the boat should run between 35 and 38 mph.

I say all this only so you will have some sort of basis on which to base its performance. If it doesn't perform in this range, for instance it has a really hard time getting on plane, and the engine seems to be running well, the pump will need some attention. There is a wear ring that fits around the impeller, and if the pump ingests too much sand, it creates too much clearance between the impeller and the wear ring.

I don't remember the numbers, but it is surprising how (not the actual numbers) at .005" clearance between the wear ring and impeller the boat will run great, but at .020" clearance it will barely move in the water.

The Sport Jet 90 also had some electronics issues that should have been fixed by the Mercury factory recall.

Mercury was quick to the market with this product, but it isn't one of their proudest moments.

When running correctly, they are a lot of fun. :yes:

Guapo Gabacho
02-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Thank you all for the info, but I really wish to know if an owner can tell me about the front tub's pad and what it is made of, please?

Also, if there are any owners with one on a trailer, would you kindly tell me the distance you use between bunks? This boat is on a trailer that the previous owner used for another and is not right bunk wise. It needs rebunking, so I might as well space them right. Just the spacing will tell the tale for me.

fasttrucker
02-28-2010, 02:21 PM
check out http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50526&highlight=152+medallion and http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58601&highlight=donzi+jet OK the second post shows the seat cushions.......I was going to buy one of these and I wish I had.Bought a sweet 16 outboard instead which is now for sale.Dumped a lot of cash in it.If you want to buy a 1972 baby outboard with a 200hp johnson let me know!

Barry Eller
02-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Thank you all for the info, but I really wish to know if an owner can tell me about the front tub's pad and what it is made of, please?

Also, if there are any owners with one on a trailer, would you kindly tell me the distance you use between bunks? This boat is on a trailer that the previous owner used for another and is not right bunk wise. It needs rebunking, so I might as well space them right. Just the spacing will tell the tale for me.

I don't think there are many boats like yours here on this site. I had a 14' Regal Rush with the 90 HP Mercury Sport Jet. Not much performance out of it. As far as your measurements to fit your trailer, I doubt any one here can provide that either. If your boat is on a trailer now, measure what you have, compare that to what you need. Good Luck.

smbarcelow
03-05-2010, 11:03 AM
I looked at a Medallion 152 a couple years ago and, as I recall, the purple material on the front seats was maybe 1/16" neoprene pad adhered to the fiberglass. The cushion effect would have been negligible and was probably more effective as a non-skid seating surface. Congratulations on your new purchase. I'd like to have a self-bailing jet boat someday.

VetteLT193
03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
you could get sea dek to remake the pads up front. I never understood why Donzi put that stuff up there instead of real seats though. If you want to make it better have a local shop put real cushions in that snap down.

I had a ton of fun in my Sea Doo jet boat. Probably the best boat I ever owned as far as overall fun goes.

good luck with the Donzi!!

Don Donzi
05-04-2010, 09:57 AM
New to the site and thought I'd ask my two cent questions for whatever scrutiny I may recieve for my ignorance on boat issues :crossfing:
I recently acquired a 152 Medallion in "good and seaworthy" condition as reported by a "boat mechanic". There was a comment from smbarcelow mentioning a "self-bailing" boat. Can someone tell me what that means? Are these boats known for taking in much water? Is the 152 Medallion considered a PWC? I've seen a couple of sites mentioning their similarity.
Are there places that I can purchase and replace some of the decals "DONZI" and graphics for this boat.
I've always purchased newer boats and I don't know much about these older discontinued DONZI boats. I live on a river here in TX that dumps into the gulf so the riding should be fun, but I'm concerned about the boats overall reliability and ability to handle mild gulf swells.
Can anyone give me some input on my concerns?
thanks!!!

VetteLT193
05-04-2010, 10:02 AM
self bailing means there are drain holes in the cockpit that go overboard instead of the bilge. so when it rains, or you take a big wave, etc. the water drains over without it needing to be pumped out by the bilge pump.

Usually fishing boats are self bailing. These little jet boats are too because they can take on a bunch of water when tooling around.

Donzi classics are not self bailing...

Don Donzi
05-04-2010, 09:05 PM
thanks for that answer VetteLT193. I didn't know that.