PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold replacement

daved
02-25-2010, 06:34 AM
I am planning on replacing the stock Merc manifilds and risers on my 22c 7.4, alpha package. One of the manifolds looks like it was repaired in the past and it does not look like a great repair. I was thinking of buying from EMI, they have a replacement for stock Merc applications. Has anyone had experience with the EMI product? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Tidbart
02-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Dave

Do a search of 'emi manifolds' in the performance section. you will get plenty of reading and opinions.:yes:

Bob

VetteLT193
02-25-2010, 06:57 AM
I had them with the long SS tails. For some reason they are wider than stock so things just don't line up correctly.

I'm going with GLM or something else that is a Mercury knock off, but upgraded, next time. GLM makes an aluminum setup that is lighter and should last much longer.

Tidbart
02-25-2010, 07:50 AM
I also went with the GLM aluminums. Saved a ton of weight over the Mercs and a ton of money over everyone else.:yes:

B

Tidbart
02-25-2010, 07:57 AM
For future reference, if you go with GLMs, I purchased them here: http://www.boatequipmentsuperstore.com/mercruiser-manifolds/

At the time, they gave the best price and shipped promptly. No complaints.

realbold
02-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Hmmm.....this came up recently. Cheapest I've seen them is here.
http://www.amarket.com/manifoldk.htm
Didn't check the BB package, but $560 for SB's. Thats what others charge for iron.

realbold
02-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm thinkin the GLMs might be ok on my roller SB. The cam is nothing too radical (I wanted a relatively smooth idle for the long stretches of no wake zones). It hasn't been in the boat yet, but I ran it with stock manifolds and it seems ok with them.

Tidbart
02-25-2010, 04:44 PM
The company I purchased the BB Al set from charged $645 shipped. Their price is now $790 shipped. Big difference in less than 2 years.:eek:

LKSD
02-26-2010, 11:03 AM
We sell & install EMI, GLM, Stainless marine as well as other systems. If you would like to look into a set from us feel free to give me a shout. We are also a supporting advertiser & member on this site.. ;)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

LKSD
02-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Hmmm.....this came up recently. Cheapest I've seen them is here.
http://www.amarket.com/manifoldk.htm
Didn't check the BB package, but $560 for SB's. Thats what others charge for iron.

That page hasn't been updated since early last year. ;) If they are selling them for that price buy all of them you can. My guess is if they are still offering it @ that price they are overstocked on them, or are clearing out someone Else's inventory..

The company I purchased the BB Al set from charged $645 shipped. Their price is now $790 shipped. Big difference in less than 2 years.:eek:

Yes the prices have gone up noticeably on some stuff in the last year or two for everyone.. :)

I'm thinkin the GLMs might be ok on my roller SB. The cam is nothing too radical (I wanted a relatively smooth idle for the long stretches of no wake zones). It hasn't been in the boat yet, but I ran it with stock manifolds and it seems ok with them.

If your cam is not too wild you may be able to get away with them, but the EMI & Stainless marine kits are still better & can flow more. There is a price difference though, so it depends on what your needs are & what you want to spend.. ;) :)

Jamie