PDA

View Full Version : Bennett tab switch

brwn234
02-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Has anybody updated the cheapy plastic switch? I want to put a Dana switch on that is a billet piece of aluminum with two carling switches on it. Is it easy to just switch the wires from the Bennett switches to the Carling switches or is it more complicated then that?

VetteLT193
02-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Has anybody updated the cheapy plastic switch? I want to put a Dana switch on that is a billet piece of aluminum with two carling switches on it. Is it easy to just switch the wires from the Bennett switches to the Carling switches or is it more complicated then that?

I checked over the wiring on the 22 tabs many months ago and nothing seemed surprising to me. It was updated pretty much identically to what you want.

The new ZXO is the same way from the factory. Carling switches wired to Bennett tabs.

So in short it's a straight forward wire change as far as I can tell.

Planetwarmer
02-24-2010, 02:50 PM
I took the original plastic piece, and milled a new one out of aluminum, then polished it up. It looks great.

kraftee
02-24-2010, 08:45 PM
I did exactly what you are trying to do and replaced the chintzy old plastic Bennett rockers with the Dana switch. You have to crimp on new spade connectors - but it is really no big deal. Go for it.

joseph m. hahnl
02-25-2010, 02:33 PM

Should be 2 standard double pole, double throw switches.

Planetwarmer
02-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Technically, you dont even need any sort of plate. You could go buy 2 toggles if that suits your fancy.

brwn234
02-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Technically, you dont even need any sort of plate. You could go buy 2 toggles if that suits your fancy.

Yes but i've already got a hole in my dash from the plastc piece so I need something nice to cover it up. And it gives me an excuse to buy matching bezels for my gauges.

Dr. David Fleming
02-26-2010, 11:54 PM
I just did this switch change on the 22ZX as is listed on my other thread. The boat came with the black plastic double rocker Bennett. The hole was drilled for it by Donzi. The new Merc K-Planes used a Carling double rocker set up and I needed to make up a replacement dashboard insert to hold these two Carling double rockers in the location where the Bennett switch was.

My 22ZX all dash panels are a white powder coated aluminum switch with grey lines around the boarder of the panel for both instruments and switches - black lettering on the names. The new white Carling double rockers for my Mercury K-planes were selected as a match for my other Carling dash switches.

The solution was to draw up a small blueprint of a replacement switch base to hold the new Carling's using the Bennet screw locations. Livorsi makes this kind of stuff for the boat manufacturers so I called Fred Ortega at Livorsi and they did a matching switch base as well as supplying the new Carling switches - Looks just like Donzi did it but the new control is the same size and location of the old Bennett switch. They even did the border and the switch lettering just like Donzi has on the other switches.

By the way, I could use your old Bennett black double rocker switch if your not going to use it, as the guy who wants my old Bennett tabs is going to need it because my old Bennett switch was cracking. If you want to sell it let me know.

Hope this helps,

rtgogo
02-27-2010, 07:01 PM
I added a billet cover plate around the stock Bennett switches. Think it may have been an Eddie Marine part. Looks a lot better than that stock plastic!