PDA

View Full Version : Steering PoPos, Back Off!!

Carl C
02-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Zeiger steering is on the way! 120cc 5" helm, pre-assembled hoses, short rams, drilling jig, instructions, templates, yada yada...:)

Also sent the prop to Brett today for some minor repair.

Looking forward to a great summer of boating.

My best speed to date is 85.8. I'll be looking to hit 85 easily when dialed in.

VetteLT193
02-24-2010, 10:46 AM
that's good. I am curious to see how well you like it after getting harassed about it for the last however many months.

docking kinda sucks with it so be prepared for the down side. :bonk:

other than that negative there is no other way to run :wink:

Bamboo Loui
02-24-2010, 12:17 PM
congrats Carl and good luck with the install. If you need any pics of Brians install on mine, let me know- you can pm me with your email if you need any.

Planetwarmer
02-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Zeiger steering is on the way! 120cc 5" helm, pre-assembled hoses, short rams, drilling jig, instructions, templates, yada yada...:)

Also sent the prop to Brett today for some minor repair.

Looking forward to a great summer of boating.

My best speed to date is 85.8. I'll be looking to hit 85 easily when dialed in.
Since you have already hit 85.8, you should shoot for 85.9 or better with the new steering.

Carl C
02-24-2010, 04:43 PM
congrats Carl and good luck with the install. If you need any pics of Brians install on mine, let me know- you can pm me with your email if you need any.

Thanks, will do. Even the pics of your boat already posted will help.

Since you have already hit 85.8, you should shoot for 85.9 or better with the new steering.

The 85.8 was under ideal conditions. Running light. Low fuel. Cool day. It was also right near the rev limiter. If I can hit 85 under less favorable conditions I will be happy with that. I will find out, maybe there is more there...

I will have the kit in about a week and will start the installation about mid March.

Planetwarmer
02-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Put a blower on it!:nilly:

Carl C
02-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Put a blower on it!:nilly:

In a few years!

Carl C
03-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Kit is about half way installed. I had to send back the 97cc helm for the 120cc one that I requested. THE TRANSOM IS CORED WITH A LIGHTWEIGHT PLASTIC MATERIAL! No wood in transom. I still sealed the holes with epoxy resin since I already bought it. Decided to use 4200 sealer. Got some other goodies on the way too!:)

Sweet Cheekz
03-26-2010, 04:22 PM
You are going to love this when it's done! Well done
Parnell

Carl C
03-26-2010, 04:51 PM
You are going to love this when it's done! Well done
Parnell

Yeah, this will finally get the boat where I want it. I ran out of time and money last year. Stay tuned for pics. I'm juggling the boat with some other spring projects so it will take a few more weeks.

Cuda
03-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Don't set the bar too high. :)

Carl C
03-26-2010, 07:51 PM
I will be very happy with consistant 85 mph. Not looking to be the fastest. Reliability is more important and is what I'm after.

yeller
03-27-2010, 02:19 AM
I will be very happy with consistant 85 mph. Not looking to be the fastest. Reliability is more important and is what I'm after.You're on target thinking reliability. The hydraulic steering isn't going to add speed to your boat. Maybe if you have an old and tired POS steering system it'll help you get extra mph, but with your boat, I wouldn't expect any speed increase simply because you went hydraulic.

Not trying to shoot you down Carl...I've been drinking :drunk: and I've lost my composure....hopefully I'm wrong...

Carl C
03-27-2010, 07:14 AM
You're on target thinking reliability. The hydraulic steering isn't going to add speed to your boat. Maybe if you have an old and tired POS steering system it'll help you get extra mph, but with your boat, I wouldn't expect any speed increase simply because you went hydraulic.

Not trying to shoot you down Carl...I've been drinking :drunk: and I've lost my composure....hopefully I'm wrong...

I think that the extra stability might add 1 or 2 mph. On most top speed runs now I hold slight pressure to the right to keep the steering tight. This results in running a slight arc and crabbing the skeg. I'm also going to do the tab mod even though they already come up a little past level with the boat. I was also running most of last season with a very slightly dinged up prop. I think I'll find consistant 85 in less than perfect conditions:crossfing:. Of course that will put me on the limiter in perfect conditions. Looking forward to a great boating season:):).

Cuda
03-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Catch said hydraulic steering was the best money he ever spent. He says he was contantly sawing back and forth on the wheel before the hydraulic.

Carl C
03-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Catch said hydraulic steering was the best money he ever spent. He says he was contantly sawing back and forth on the wheel before the hydraulic.

Same here. There will always be an inch of play even in a brand new cable system. It will be interesting to be able to run fast and straight and not fighting the steering.

Sweet Cheekz
03-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeller is probably right here. I can't see any more mph, certainly not 2 mph but safety, confidence and better stability will let you run the more consistant 85 you want. Also you get out in rough water on occasion and thats where you will be really happy because the boat won't bow steer as much in a following sea. You will be more likely to move the wave than the other way around! Its a great feeling and there is no down side to what you are doing for sure You are going to love it!
Parnell

Carl C
04-04-2010, 03:34 PM
:):):):):)

Sweet Cheekz
04-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Looks awesome Congrats
Parnell

Carl C
04-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Looks awesome Congrats
Parnell

Thanks, anxious to drive it. Does yours have about an inch of play at the wheel when not running? I'm pretty sure I got all the air out but I thought the steering would be rock solid.

I have 3 1/4 turns lock to lock with the 120 cc helm.

The motor being in there was no hindrance at all. I just had to remove the battery boxes to make room to work

Sweet Cheekz
04-04-2010, 06:25 PM
A little less than that but as lo9ng as the line is bled I figure you are ok
Parnell

gcarter
04-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Gotta shower yet?

gcarter
04-04-2010, 06:44 PM
The helm is made up of mechanical parts that are toleranced to allow oil to move around them. There is a drain for the assembly and this "leakage" goes back to the reservoir. The amount of leakage is designed in.
Oil, like water, is virtually incompressable, so when there's pressure from the pump, it's pretty solid.
When there's no pressure, the tolerances suddenly "appear" and the wheel has slack in it.

Carl C
04-04-2010, 07:04 PM
The helm is made up of mechanical parts that are toleranced to allow oil to move around them. There is a drain for the assembly and this "leakage" goes back to the reservoir. The amount of leakage is designed in.
Oil, like water, is virtually incompressable, so when there's pressure from the pump, it's pretty solid.
When there's no pressure, the tolerances suddenly "appear" and the wheel has slack in it.

Gotcha, thanks. Still not sold on the shower:nilly:. Billet battery boxes and sea strainer are coming. Might get out tomorrow for a run. Will shoot for 85 w/ passengers and full fuel.

BlownCrewCab
04-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Carl, Whats that pile of logs you have????? I heat 100% with wood and that pile of logs interest me allot:yes:

fogducker III
04-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Nice job Carl.........now go burn some fuel..........:yes::wink:

Carl C
04-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Carl, Whats that pile of logs you have????? I heat 100% with wood and that pile of logs interest me allot:yes:

Keep away from that wood!!! Here's what it looked like when it was delivered last fall. I'm in the process of stacking it properly. It's 95% oak and will heat my house for about 4 years! I run the furnace a little only on the coldest days. That is 20 cords (60 face cords).

VetteLT193
04-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Looks great! Also one of the nicest helms, if not the nicest, I have seen.

Did you happen measure how much steering distance you lost? they look like the shortest rams so I am curious. How does it feel with the engine running? harder or softer than stock?

Carl C
04-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Got out for a good run today. The steering is awesome! All free play is gone when running. Docking is not bad with the 120cc helm. Boat handles great. I was running heavy and with stale gas and humid and really didn't try to go as fast as possible. Still hit 81.4.

Vette, steering resistance is about the same as stock but feels much better. I didn't lose any turning radius. I was dipping the rub rail today in some tight turns.

Pismo
04-06-2010, 06:02 AM
Did you ever get your gauge problems all resolved?

Carl C
04-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Did you ever get your gauge problems all resolved?

That's next! Wiring harness is here. I may need to buy an "agi" (analog gauge interface) box and get the ECU programmed. There is a lot of info on OSO that should help me. First got to finish stacking firewood and get the township off my a$s.

Pismo
04-06-2010, 07:20 AM
That's next! Wiring harness is here. I may need to buy an "agi" (analog gauge interface) box and get the ECU programmed. There is a lot of info on OSO that should help me. First got to finish stacking firewood and get the township off my a$s.

Nothing like some big govt to solve all our problems....

VetteLT193
04-06-2010, 07:28 AM
cool, thanks for the info. The steering loss isn't a factor at speed, only around the dock. And I'll even say it doesn't really show up until you need a lock to lock situation (windy, current, etc.) Yours look shorter than mine so I was curious because there is a noticeable loss in poor condition dock-ability.

Resistance is interesting. Eddies 22 has high resistance but the 28 is not quite as easy as stock but still easy. With yours being the same sounding as the 28 I need to look into it more on the 22.

yeller
04-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Eddies 22 has high resistance but the 28 is not quite as easy as stock but still easy. With yours being the same sounding as the 28 I need to look into it more on the 22.Vette, if you discover the reason for the high resistance, let me know. Mine is a lot stiffer than stock. Tires the arms out.

Carl C
04-07-2010, 07:51 AM
I don't know why some would be stiffer than others. Maybe the pump? I'm running the pump that came on the 525. The boat is more fun to drive than ever. Very noticable results and I'm a happy camper :).

Cuda
04-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Nothing like some big govt to solve all our problems....
Whenever I need some wood, I walk to my lot across the street and cut off some oak.

Cuda
04-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Catch took his boat back and had them shorten the wheel to wheel lock.

Carl C
04-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Whenever I need some wood, I walk to my lot across the street and cut off some oak.

You don't need much wood in Florida. I burn a face cord a week during the cold months.