PDA

View Full Version : Corsa silent choice power draw

VetteLT193
02-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Anyone that has silent choice... do you notice a power hit when you turn it on?

On mine, since new, it takes what seems like an incredible amount of power to run the silent choice. When I turn it on I even get a hit in RPM sometimes until it can correct itself to deal with the additional load. Volts usually drop by .5-1 volt while silent choice is engaged.

I have tried this in various battery settings. nothing seems to change the situation. Is this normal?

Tidbart
02-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Not normal. Should be transparent.

Tidbart
02-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Try this test procedure. Maybe you have a bad solenoid or wire, which is drawing too much.:bonk: Under normal operation, you should see any changes in rpms or lights dimming, etc.

http://www.corsaperf.com/media/pdf/Solenoid_Harness%20Test%20Proc.pdf

mrfixxall
02-24-2010, 10:12 AM
are they th corsa's with power on whan in use at all times?..I hate the corsa's they should redesign them like eddie marines..if yo had a bad solenoid it would pop the braker..

Emi silent select's are way better then the corsa's, they have a motorised accuator to where as theirs no power going to them when in use..they power up with a momentary switch so you could control how loud or how qiuet you want your boat,you can run them fully open,half way between or fully closed...

http://eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=26417&c=300

Tidbart
02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
are they th corsa's with power on whan in use at all times?..I hate the corsa's they should redesign them like eddie marines..if yo had a bad solenoid it would pop the braker..

Emi silent select's are way better then the corsa's, they have a motorised accuator to where as theirs no power going to them when in use..they power up with a momentary switch so you could control how loud or how qiuet you want your boat,you can run them fully open,half way between or fully closed...

http://eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=26417&c=300

Fixx, in all honesty, would you spend the $1500 plus labor and replace the systems, or would you troubleshoot the problem and replace/repair the faulty part(s) which are possibly under warranty? :wink:

B

VetteLT193
02-24-2010, 10:37 AM
I put it on my list for Donzi of odds and ends to fix. hopefully I can drop it off this weekend.

I agree that it is a retarded design. Why Corsa thought this was good... who knows.

Thanks for the info Bob... I might check it myself first. I don't trust many people with my stuff.

mrfixxall
02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Fixx, in all honesty, would you spend the $1500 plus labor and replace the systems, or would you troubleshoot the problem and replace/repair the faulty part(s) which are possibly under warranty? :wink:

B

All honesty! if i were buying a new boat with captains call i wold want the style i wrote about..If it were my boat i would convert the style that corsa uses to emi style

CHACHI
02-24-2010, 02:03 PM
System draws huge amps to throw the solenoids. Once engaged hardley anything.

Ken

VetteLT193
02-24-2010, 02:23 PM
System draws huge amps to throw the solenoids. Once engaged hardley anything.

Ken

mine continues as long as they are engaged. I might put it on the hose and take a quick video.

Planetwarmer
02-24-2010, 03:02 PM
mine continues as long as they are engaged. I might put it on the hose and take a quick video.

Nope. It should just slam shut and that's the power draw. You have a short when they are activated. You should be able to track it down. The only thing that is changing when you flip the switch, is the switch itself, the solenoids, and the flap. The short is in one of those three things.

Tidbart
02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Nope. It should just slam shut and that's the power draw. You have a short when they are activated. You should be able to track it down. The only thing that is changing when you flip the switch, is the switch itself, the solenoids, and the flap. The short is in one of those three things.

Or the wiring. Also, a high-resistance fault might not trip a breaker or blow a fuse.

Planetwarmer
02-24-2010, 07:22 PM
It sure wouldn't hurt to trace the wires and see if there are any spots rubbed through the insulation. But that probably would effect the draw all of the time, not just when the switch is thrown.

CHACHI
02-25-2010, 05:54 AM
There is a slight power draw once engaged with out power, they won't stay engaged.

Ken

mattyboy
02-25-2010, 06:50 AM
the "new" boat has corsa's added to it, I need to get working .

great info Tidbart
thanks it will help alot
in getting them working :)

Carl C
02-25-2010, 07:46 AM
One good thing about the Corsa electric solonoid system is that if back pressure becomes too great they will blow open. Mine do anyway. Now I only use quiet at idle speeds with the 525.

bigdawgchallenger
02-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Mine have a draw, but nothing like you mention. Try unplugging them one at a time and see wich one is drawing too much.

Mike

mrfixxall
02-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Vette, how many wires do you have going to the accuators?2,3 or 4..i was refering to the 2 wire set up:)

bigdawgchallenger
02-26-2010, 11:40 PM
I have the 4 wire set up. Not sure about the others. I would think if you had that much Draw, you would have a lot of heat. Turn it on with the engines off. Check wires, switch, solenoids, grounds for high heat. Just a thought.

VetteLT193
03-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Vette, how many wires do you have going to the accuators?2,3 or 4..i was refering to the 2 wire set up:)

I am not sure. will check when I get the boat back. I'd assume it is the latest corsa setup whatever that is...