PDA

View Full Version : sweet 16 buyers inspection questions

million206
02-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Going to look at a 99 sweet 16 with 280 hours great condition with matching trailer

4.3 litre V-6
Mercury Alpha One I/O
Thru Transom Exhaust
Gaffrig Gauges
Stainless Steel Prop
JVC Audio System
32 gallon Fuel Tank

What questions should I ask, what should I inspect, what is a good price on a mint boat like this?

Okie2
02-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Holy cow...you're opening up a can of worms! Get a marine survey. How much boating experience do you have? You could ask a million questions & needed to ask one million & one. Ask them it they will hold the boat & loan it to you for the AOTH in May...then you get everything answered. Scott

Donzi Vol
02-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Where are you located? If anyone around here is close, they may be able to go with you.

If by yourself, get in the boat and on the boat. You want to look for moisture anywhere and everywhere. Knock on the transom to hear for dense spots. If you so wish, take a moisture meter with you. See if there are any soft spots on the deck. A weak core can indicate a sunk boat at some point.
Inspect the motor...of course. Look for any oil or other random fluids in the bildge. The bildge can tell a lot of tales!
Ask the owner when the last time was that it was on the water. If it's been a while, you'll want to drain the gas.
Make sure you crank it and let it run a little. Test it in the high RPM's and low RPM's.
The rest is up to you. As in, if the interior isn't perfect and it doesn't bother you, then no worries.

Good luck!