PDA

View Full Version : What would the best height for the x dimention be

donzi18 classic
02-21-2010, 06:27 PM
What would be the best height for the x be i have a 1997 18 classic with a alpha 1 gen 2 w/400hp running a 23 rev 4 at 73 mph any info would be appreciated thanks

BlownCrewCab
02-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Cav plate 2" above the keel. I had an 18' (older model with the True V Keel) and put my X at 3" above, it absolutly hauled the Mail Going straight but suffered allot while turning. I tried a bunch of 3,4,5 blade props but eventually had to add a 1" spacer to get the cav plate 2" above the keel. 3" can be done if you only want straight line speed, if you want to be able to do a U turn on plane then 2" is Max....

MOP
02-24-2010, 07:12 AM
IMO the X dimension is a question of balance between optimal performance and how you intend to use the boat. There is no question that IMO most all classics drives are set to deep. But there lies the question, what do you want max speed or a fully drivable boat? The things that happen when going up depending on height: Blow out in turns, harder to plane especially with passengers, raising the CG, mount and hatch mods and keeping the prop in the water in heavy chop which is a drive killer. I feel a happy medium must be met to maintain saleability. Much thought needs to go into the process!!

Phil