PDA

View Full Version : for those who roam northern Michigan.....

gold-n-rod
02-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Here's a great old travelogue of northern Michigan from 1949 (pre-Mackinac Bridge).

Very cool! Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=QMR7veI78f8

Carl C
02-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Nice find! I suggest that everyone watch it. Most of that stuff is still here except the bear man who probably got eaten by the grizzly bear. Where the heck did he find a grizzly in Michigan? It's hard to believe that our state is in so much trouble when we have an asset like the Great Lakes.:cool:

Just Say N20
02-21-2010, 11:03 AM
It's hard to believe that our state is in so much trouble when we have an asset like the Great Lakes.:cool:

Just proves that phenomenal natural assets are no match for unbridled stupidity.

Jraysray
02-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Most of that stuff is still here except the bear man who probably got eaten by the grizzly bear. :cool:

Maybe so but he had a pair of kick "A" pants! I want some. Really... :yes:

Walt. H.
02-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Just proves that phenomenal natural assets are no match for unbridled stupidity.
Sure is Bill and here is one of a few reasons why.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq8wbXAR4ZQ&feature=sdig&et=125+8252932.02

Bamboo Loui
02-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Wonder what is wrong??????? anyone see Granholm this morning on fox???????:nilly::bonk::nilly::bonk::nilly::bonk:

FISHIN SUCKS
02-21-2010, 03:51 PM
It's hard to believe that our state is in so much trouble when we have an asset like the Great Lakes.:cool:
Well, when you have all these dumba$$es that build there homes on the Great Lakes and decide they wanna bitch about the shipping port next door and wanna petition to close it down, it is no wonder that there is very little trade being delivered in the Great Lakes Regions. Delivering goods to be manufactured or manufactured goods is now a lot more expensive when you take away the ports.

Being a semi-product of Northern Michigan, I can certainly appreciate the video. Even though it didn't mention Petoskey, Alanson, and Indian River.

Cuda
02-21-2010, 04:07 PM
All of Michigan is northern.

realbold
02-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Wonder what is wrong??????? anyone see Granholm this morning on fox???????:nilly::bonk::nilly::bonk::nilly::bonk:
I saw :puke: I couldn't watch :blub:

Carl C
02-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Well, when you have all these dumba$$es that build there homes on the Great Lakes and decide they wanna bitch about the shipping port next door and wanna petition to close it down, it is no wonder that there is very little trade being delivered in the Great Lakes Regions. Delivering goods to be manufactured or manufactured goods is now a lot more expensive when you take away the ports.

Being a semi-product of Northern Michigan, I can certainly appreciate the video. Even though it didn't mention Petoskey, Alanson, and Indian River.

Great Lakes shipping seems to be going strong to me. BTW, no one can own water frontage on the Greats. You cannot put in a dock or block passage and anyone can walk the entire shoreline as long as they stay near the water line. This was recently upheld by the Michigan Supreme Court. Pretty cool.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Great Lakes shipping seems to be going strong to me. BTW, no one can own water frontage on the Greats. You cannot put in a dock or block passage and anyone can walk the entire shoreline as long as they stay near the water line. This was recently upheld by the Michigan Supreme Court. Pretty cool.
Actually Carl, Tonnage has been declining steadily over the past 24 years. I will have to do some searching for this article I read last fall, I will put it up when I find it to show you. One of the reasons in the article was in regards to homeowners with, let's say, views of the great lakes and the many petitions to close harbors that ships would frequent. I will do some digging and put it up. It was interesting, but very sad at the same time. I am a HUGE Great Lakes Nautical buff and have a lot of books on ships that have gone down since the times of travel have started. Hate to see the 'not-in-my-backyards' kill an industry that was there first and created jobs for many.

Cuda
02-21-2010, 10:28 PM
In saltwater of Florida (Atlantic and the Gulf) it's all public land to the high tide mark.

zelatore
02-22-2010, 10:31 AM
In saltwater of Florida (Atlantic and the Gulf) it's all public land to the high tide mark.

I believe that's pretty much the case around the country. In California and Washington I've seen the same thing.

Down around Malibu, where the crazy rich have mansion right on the beach, there's a group who likes to deliberately go out and camp or set up a picnic on the public part of the beach but as close as they can get to the private sections just to see if they can get the land owner's security to run them off.

(I get that they're trying to make a point, but honestly I think they're more jealous than anything)