PDA

View Full Version : Replacing TACO rubrail inserts

Dr. David Fleming
02-20-2010, 01:33 AM
Does anyone have experience replacing the TACO vinyl Rub Rail inserts? A small area of this insert is chewed up on my 22ZX - could basically live with this. I thought I would do the replacement vinyl insert if it was fairly easy and would "fall" into the rubrail.

Also wondering if the color of these insert fades or darkens with time and any ideas on how to identify the original shade using the TACO catalogue. Anyone have any trouble gettin product from TACO?

The 1999 22ZX uses V21-9602 - rigid vinyl in Artic White

The vinyl insert is V12-0303 - flexible vinyl in Frosty White

opinions would be appreciated.

jimishooch
02-20-2010, 09:20 AM
talk to allen at www.rubrails.com (http://www.rubrails.com). last i heard taco doesn't sell retail.

silverghost
02-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Doc. Put the vinyl insert coil in a big tub of very hot water for five min. Then use a rubber mallet, or dead blow hammer and some soft blocks of wood and it should just pop-in easily.
When this stuff gets old it gets hard & stiff.
West marine, and other suppliers can get this vinyl insert for you.

Phil S
02-20-2010, 11:04 AM
I haven't replaced mine yet, but I asked a local marine shop if it was going to be difficult. Their advice was heating it up as well. They suggested laying it out in the sun on hot asphalt somewhere and using lots of wd-40. Tub of hot water sounds like it should work as well.

Phil

zelatore
02-20-2010, 12:16 PM
I like it - just one more thing to help the garage take over the kitchen!

Pistons heating in the oven, wrist pins cooling in the freezer, and a big ol' pot of rub rail insert boiling on the stove.

The wife will love it!

Phil S
02-20-2010, 12:41 PM
lol....clothes-dryer "cottons" setting should work as well, set timer to max...

A little Southern humor while we're at it....How does a redneck load the dishwasher ?

A. (he get's his wife drunk) :nilly:

Dr. David Fleming
02-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Clothes dryer sounds the most entertaining, big hammer the most practical, WD-40 the most logical and the whole thing looks do able if Alan can get me the product. I think I got the catalogue from West Marine who said they could get some of what was offered.

Now I just have to figure if its Artic white or Frosty white? What hte the hell difference it makes I don't know!

Zinger
02-20-2010, 07:55 PM
I was just at lowe's and saw the exact same white type rub rail material.

Last Tango
02-20-2010, 08:44 PM
I use sandpaper on my rub rail insert. It does wonders to perk up the appearance. I don't sweat the deeper gouges, The sandpaper removes the ugly parts, smoothes out the edges of the big stuff, and completely removes the little stuff. That is unless you really crushed it bad.

Nobody really notices those rub rail blemishes but you, the enthusiast owner.
I am trying real hard to ignore small imperfections since absolutely nobody who sees my boat ever notices them.