PDA

View Full Version : Gold-n-Rod

Ed Donnelly
02-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks to you my daughter can't go on this site anymore.
I don't know what religion you are, but I don't appreciate you taking the lords name in vain..Use your smut language on the new political site.

Ed Donnelly

zelatore
02-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Did I miss something? Was this in response to the 'Dumb Azz' thread?

Because I would think you'd be more worried about your daughter reading the title of that thread than Gold-n-rod's comments later.

If this is something else, my apologies. Please point me in the right direction.

Ed Donnelly
02-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Zelatore; I sent you an E-mail..............Ed

gold-n-rod
02-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Ed: I'm sorry your daughter is banned. That must be your doing. I'm sure that Scot had nothing to do with it.

Here's a suggestion. Have a heart-to -heart with your daughter. Explain that there are godless, agnostic people out there who use goddamn and other words like you might use shoot, golly-gee or you betcha. Help her see that she can not let those kind of people interfere with her enjoyment of donzi.net. I don't know her age, but it's a big, wide world out there and she needs to begin to navigate it..... the sooner the better.

Here's the "other" side. I frequently hear people say, "I'm blessed," or "We are really praying about it." When my kids were young, I never put the earmuffs on them. I simply said, "Those are their beliefs and they are different than ours." If I'd isolated them from every chance to cross paths with the believers, they'd have never seen the light of day.

If you have really banned her from donzi.net because of my use of goddamn, I think there are issues beyond my posts.

Regardless, I hope to cross paths with you on the water someday and I won't hold your beliefs against you.

:popcorn:

thehow33
02-20-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm thinking we should take out "whatever you want to talk about" too :bighug:

joseph m. hahnl
02-20-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm thinking we should take out "whatever you want to talk about" too :bighug:

Yah , I know! you would think Freedom of speech was a constitutional right or something:boggled:

Every body has there right to express there views no matter how controversial they are, and if some one is offended by it, it is there right to say so. it is also the right of the offender, to be able defend him self.
when all is said and done a couple of boat sodas and a rip across the lake in our Donzis, and hey were all Buds again:party:

One thing That I would like to point out is. We are from all over this great nation and beyond. There are certain slangs, and accents, that in a normal conversation come up. The person would not even know he said it, as it is an everyday word spoken among the people in a general area.

For instance in the southern states they say You-all . Being a Northerner this sticks out like a sour thumb.A Southerner wouldn't even bat an eye.
When I lived in Mass as a Kid the F bomb dropped every other word.:yes:

Now, I might say something like, Wow that Donzi is cherry.That was petty hairy when you jumped that wake. How much cake did you spend on it.Wow, your golden she's mint.:kingme:

Phil S
02-20-2010, 10:45 AM
"For instance in the southern states they say You-all ."

Correction: It's "ya'll", and in Kentucky, it is sometimes "you'uns". :wink:

I'm sure I'm guilty too, but we're probably all better served by keeping our posts clean from potentially offensive content. Problem is that the definition of offensive is such a moving target these days. I personally have a problem watching the news having to suffer through the pharmaceutical companies' commercials these days....sheesh !

..my .02..

Phil

Cuda
02-20-2010, 11:42 AM
For instance in the southern states they say You-all . Being a Northerner this sticks out like a sour thumb.A Southerner wouldn't even bat an eye.
When I lived in Mass as a Kid the F bomb dropped every other word.:yes:

Now, I might say something like, Wow that Donzi is cherry.That was petty hairy when you jumped that wake. How much cake did you spend on it.Wow, your golden she's mint.:kingme:
I talk to a girl all the time from Boston, and she gets on me for dropping the f bomb too much. :(

MOP
02-20-2010, 01:10 PM
The "Demeanor" matches the avatar!

Cuda
02-20-2010, 02:14 PM
I say that everyone's entitled to my opinion. ")

Tony
02-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Putting name-calling and regional dialects aside, the initial post clearly defies the wishes of our site administrator. To me that is the main issue.

Below are a few sites where your political opinions would be welcome:

http://getoutthepopcorn.org/

http://www.ihateobama.com/

http://www.democratssuck.com/

http://www.ihateliberals.net/

http://folksongsofthefarrightwing.cf.huffingtonpost.com/

:beer:

MOP
02-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Tony I do not agree, this is more than a boating site it is a community! Most all various community sites have political sections for the members to voice their views, it was not Scots wish to kill the section he was tired of the BS. The same thing happened with the Donzi girls section a few small minded individuals made a racket and spoiled it for all, the one that made the most noise never came back. The political section was doing just fine except for a very few that though no one should post opposing views without them spewing sarcasm. What both sections really needed was what was suggested by many if you don't like it don't go there! That was not good enough for the small minded control freaks they had to keep crabbing until Scot gave up. What they did was fragment the community, it seems small minded individuals always have to ruin things for much larger open minded group. I have been on this board quite awhile we have lost quite a few very nice people due to these types, I have kept contact with quit a few they look in from time to time and think it is actually getting worse. What is so wrong with "Live and Let Live" why does this very small group just have to keep stirring the pot, if you can't join in without being civil just leave many of us really don't want your types around. Frankly I am tired of emails and calls about this guy and that guy and the various superlatives used about their character. Hell keep it up and we will end up with even fewer section! I have always felt we were a group that really wanted to help each other, shame some just don't get it!

Cuda
02-20-2010, 10:15 PM
I think people should act like they would in public, if their mother was with them.

Walt. H.
02-21-2010, 12:43 AM
I think people should act like they would in public, if their mother was with them.

That won't work either, have you seen how some people talk in front of their mothers today and in fact have you seen how some mothers talk in front of their kids as well? Doh! :bonk:
27 more days ti'll spring arrives and then the winter wars will be offically over like they are every year.:yes: :crossfing:

Cuda
02-21-2010, 01:58 AM
That won't work either, have you seen how some people talk in front of their mothers today and in fact have you seen how some mothers talk in front of their kids as well? Doh! :bonk:
27 more days ti'll spring arrives and then the winter wars will be offically over like they are every year.:yes: :crossfing:
They obviously didn't have my dad. To this day I watch my language around mom.

Walt. H.
02-21-2010, 01:10 PM
They obviously didn't have my dad. To this day I watch my language around mom.
Nor my dad either who wouldn't think twice to either backhand me across the mouth or slapcuff the back of my head for even the slightest slip of the tongue, heck' I still remember him doing that to me just for say "she said" instead of saying "mom said I could" and before I could utter another word, Wack! I saw stars spinning! That was life growing up in the 50's & 60's.:yes: :angel:

Ed Donnelly
02-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Life in the 50's and 60's?? My Mom who is 86 yrs young.. gave me a slap on the back of the head in front of my kids for saying bloody.. This was 5 yrs ago when I was 60................Ed

Bamboo Loui
02-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Tony I do not agree, this is more than a boating site it is a community! Most all various community sites have political sections for the members to voice their views, it was not Scots wish to kill the section he was tired of the BS. The same thing happened with the Donzi girls section a few small minded individuals made a racket and spoiled it for all, the one that made the most noise never came back. The political section was doing just fine except for a very few that though no one should post opposing views without them spewing sarcasm. What both sections really needed was what was suggested by many if you don't like it don't go there! That was not good enough for the small minded control freaks they had to keep crabbing until Scot gave up. What they did was fragment the community, it seems small minded individuals always have to ruin things for much larger open minded group. I have been on this board quite awhile we have lost quite a few very nice people due to these types, I have kept contact with quit a few they look in from time to time and think it is actually getting worse. What is so wrong with "Live and Let Live" why does this very small group just have to keep stirring the pot, if you can't join in without being civil just leave many of us really don't want your types around. Frankly I am tired of emails and calls about this guy and that guy and the various superlatives used about their character. Hell keep it up and we will end up with even fewer section! I have always felt we were a group that really wanted to help each other, shame some just don't get it!

Anyone get it that this site is not as good as it was before totally-- don't care for a section--- don't go there-- its kind of like a TV or radio tuner-- where you go is your choice, if you do not care for it don not go there--pretty easy for me.
I am sorry for all those that have to complain abot a sections content when they could just choose to keep away fromm the section.
re/ language? if you can't find a way to speak-write without taking everyone to the gutter, than just keep quiet.

Bamboo Loui
02-21-2010, 03:43 PM
sorry-- should have spell checked-- will be glad to get rid of this laptop next week

Cuda
02-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Nor my dad either who wouldn't think twice to either backhand me across the mouth or slapcuff the back of my head for even the slightest slip of the tongue, heck' I still remember him doing that to me just for say "she said" instead of saying "mom said I could" and before I could utter another word, Wack! I saw stars spinning! That was life growing up in the 50's & 60's.:yes: :angel:
My dad was quick to thump you. Once, he knocked over his own milk, and thumped my little sister for it! :) He claims he never did, but both my sisters remember it. Dad once told me you didn't have to beat a kid, once he believe you would. I believed it. Once when I was about 18, I came home and said something smart to mom. She reached out and pulled my hair. I pushed her down. I didn't think much of it. I heard dad come home, then he opened the door and came into my room. Dad NEVER came in my room. He shut the door behind him. I remember thinking this can't be good. I can remember exactly what words he told me, "Boy, if you think you're tough, then jump on me. I'll not have you brow beating your ma". I asked him about a year ago if I said the wrong thing, if he would have kicked my azz. He said, "Probably".

Dad has back up today, I just called there and his brother from West Virginia is visiting him and mom for a week.

Cuda
02-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Life in the 50's and 60's?? My Mom who is 86 yrs young.. gave me a slap on the back of the head in front of my kids for saying bloody.. This was 5 yrs ago when I was 60................Ed
Dad was in the Navy, and once he was gone for nine months. It had to be hard for mom to raise four kids on her own. Her relatives live in Oregon. We lived in South Carolina at the time. Wherever we moved, she'd plant a weeping willow tree. She'd make us cut out own switches to take to our legs. I knew just how to play mom. She'd whup me, and I'd squall until I was out of reach, then I'd laugh at her. The old "wait til your dad gets home" doesn't work so well when he is gone months at a time. Mom told me last week that dad has never cussed at her. They have been married 58 years. Dad told me it was true, because she never gave him cause to cuss at her, and trust me, when dad and I worked on stuff together, he'd cuss like a sailor! :)

gold-n-rod
02-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Anyone get it that this site is not as good as it was before totally-- don't care for a section--- don't go there-- its kind of like a TV or radio tuner-- where you go is your choice, if you do not care for it don not go there--pretty easy for me.
I am sorry for all those that have to complain abot a sections content when they could just choose to keep away fromm the section.
re/ language? if you can't find a way to speak-write without taking everyone to the gutter, than just keep quiet.

You don't say. Then explain to my why I can post a gosh darn, gee golly whee, you betcha thread about a neat old travelogue and others have to use it to further their political opinions and agenda???????????

It has nothing to do with a section, dude. It's a few people here who want to thumb their noses at a good guy (Scot) who is just trying to keep the BOATING hobby going.

I, for one, think it's a bunch of hooey, poopie, or whatever is appropriate for someone's daughter to read, and I am sick of it. :(

Bamboo Loui
02-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Cuda-- I know exactly what you are talking about. But Ed was right. There is no way this site has to have words on it that most agree are not acceptable.
I know, from raising two girls, and I know from my own childhood, that kids will hear and kids will speak words that are not
appropriate.
But we as parents have the right and the responsibility to insure that what they read---- or hear are what we choose. They will learn everything that we do not wish for them to learn, but if we set the right example, they will (hopefully) learn what is appropriate and not think so lightly about words that are so deep and so much part of what makes a person respectful to others beliefs.

Cuda
02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Cuda-- I know exactly what you are talking about. But Ed was right. There is no way this site has to have words on it that most agree are not acceptable.
I know, from raising two girls, and I know from my own childhood, that kids will hear and kids will speak words that are not
appropriate.
But we as parents have the right and the responsibility to insure that what they read---- or hear are what we choose. They will learn everything that we do not wish for them to learn, but if we set the right example, they will (hopefully) learn what is appropriate and not think so lightly about words that are so deep and so much part of what makes a person respectful to others beliefs.
My sister is a high school English teacher, and has been at the hs that I graduated from for 24 years. She said the kids were so mean to her intern, they made the intern cry. Another student was taken off the campus in handcuffs, because he refused to take his hat off. She said the student was still cussing the Sheriff's when they had him in cuffs. I'm going to school right now to be a teacher. I plan on teaching higher math if I can. You figure a kid that takes calculus in high school. probably wants to be there. She said they are more into graduatiing kids, than teaching them.
I'm the black sheep of the family have no doubt, but I'm like a choir boy next to these kids in school now. They have school sanctioned skip days. I skipped school three times in my life, and got caught twice. Once by the cops, and once by my mom. The third time was when we were having racial riots at school, so I took my girlfriend, and we went to her house, since both her parents were working. As a matter of fact, today is her 53rd birthday.

mrfixxall
02-21-2010, 08:01 PM
You don't say. Then explain to my why I can post a gosh darn, gee golly whee, you betcha thread about a neat old travelogue and others have to use it to further their political opinions and agenda???????????

It has nothing to do with a section, dude. It's a few people here who want to thumb their noses at a good guy (Scot) who is just trying to keep the BOATING hobby going.

I, for one, think it's a bunch of hooey, poopie, or whatever is appropriate for someone's daughter to read, and I am sick of it. :(

OK i just opened the trend back up!! i changed my word out of respect for ed and his daughter..ok now you go change our lord's name and make things all better.. :)

FISHIN SUCKS
02-21-2010, 09:11 PM
FWIW, my $.02 (which ain't worth much)

While I don't know how this whole thing started, and I don't know the parties involved (personally), I do know what it is like to have your hand slapped over on donzi.org (a MUCH more conservative site as I found out). If that's how they want to run their site, fine, I respect that (sincerely) and will not go back. I certainly don't want to upset anyone or go where I am not welcome. I like some of the people there, but I'll just find them somewhere else, maybe on the lake. I know what it's like to be controversial, just look at my handle. Don't like it, DIDN'T ASK (name of our boat btw)! I too sometimes put up some bad words when I am being very passionate about a particular subject. I'm not a holy-roller, my road was paved a long time ago, but I do try to respect others because I have not yet found a hill worth dying on.

I hope you guys can work things out, we've already seen here recently what happens when things are not resolved. Let's not lose anyone else,

tom

Patti
02-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Wow, Fishin sucks..I didn't know that you got your hand slapped at our board..we have rules just for this very reason (see this thread). If you know Jamie you know he is a very fair minded person. I thought he Pmed you personally to reach out to you when you thought you wouldn't be able to post on our board...just because we don't want vulgarity and want people to actually respect each other doesn't make us bad.
Thanks for the negative publicity though. wow.

fegettes
02-21-2010, 09:20 PM
FWIW, my $.02 (which ain't worth much)

While I don't know how this whole thing started, and I don't know the parties involved (personally), I do know what it is like to have your hand slapped over on donzi.org (a MUCH more conservative site as I found out). If that's how they want to run their site, fine, I respect that (sincerely) and will not go back. I certainly don't want to upset anyone or go where I am not welcome. I like some of the people there, but I'll just find them somewhere else, maybe on the lake. I know what it's like to be controversial, just look at my handle. Don't like it, DIDN'T ASK (name of our boat btw)! I too sometimes put up some bad words when I am being very passionate about a particular subject. I'm not a holy-roller, my road was paved a long time ago, but I do try to respect others because I have not yet found a hill worth dying on.

I hope you guys can work things out, we've already seen here recently what happens when things are not resolved. Let's not lose anyone else,

tom

What he said. I agree.

I know some thing happened in the past, just not sure, and am afraid to ask, and do not want to bring up bad stuff and will wait till a later date to find out.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Wow, Fishin sucks..I didn't know that you got your hand slapped at our board..we have rules just for this very reason (see this thread). If you know Jamie you know he is a very fair minded person. I thought he Pmed you personally to reach out to you when you thought you wouldn't be able to post on our board...just because we don't want vulgarity and want people to actually respect each other doesn't make us bad.
Patti, for the record, I think Jamie is a fantastic person (really) and I really apprecitated his extension of an invitation ( that was very cool and considerate). I have nothing bad to say about you or Jamie or Matty for that matter. But what I put up was appropriate for the topic started (I thought anyway) and was rather mild. When asked to remove it, I did not put up a fight, I just accepted the rules and acted accordingly. But when I am told it is not appropriate for a 10 year old to watch (and my kids saw it when they were 7 and 10), I now have a problem with someone telling me what they think is appropriate for kids. Donzi.org is a fine site, with some good people, and I wish you success (I mean that). But I take more offense to someone telling me directly/indirectly how I raise my kids! I have not gone around bad mouthing your site, quite honestly I just say 'your site is right for me, but I am not right for your site'. I don't say 'conservative' in a negative way, you run a tight ship and that is okay, it's your site. I am sorry if it was taken out of context, I did not mean it that way.
tom

Walt. H.
02-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Time out folks!
Before this group comes in and takes over, then you'll have something worth fighting about!
http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/ :nilly:

Cuda
02-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Jamie can be quite opinionated himself. Don't kid yourself. I agree with Jamies opinions most of the time.

Patti
02-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Patti, for the record, I think Jamie is a fantastic person (really) and I really apprecitated his extension of an invitation ( that was very cool and considerate). I have nothing bad to say about you or Jamie or Matty for that matter. But what I put up was appropriate for the topic started (I thought anyway) and was rather mild. When asked to remove it, I did not put up a fight, I just accepted the rules and acted accordingly. But when I am told it is not appropriate for a 10 year old to watch (and my kids saw it when they were 7 and 10), I now have a problem with someone telling me what they think is appropriate for kids. Donzi.org is a fine site, with some good people, and I wish you success (I mean that). But I take more offense to someone telling me directly/indirectly how I raise my kids! I have not gone around bad mouthing your site, quite honestly I just say 'your site is right for me, but I am not right for your site'. I don't say 'conservative' in a negative way, you run a tight ship and that is okay, it's your site. I am sorry if it was taken out of context, I did not mean it that way.
tom

Tom, was really lovely talking to you via PM and catching up..now I know why Jamie likes you so much..you're a stand up guy..thanks for being so kind :)

Talk soon!

thehow33
02-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Yah , I know! you would think Freedom of speech was a constitutional right or something:boggled:

HAHA It once was in this nation. Actually it still is, just be prepared to be blasted if a majority doesn't agree. That's just how people work.:wink: