PDA

View Full Version : 1988 z-29 question

jbenzeleski
02-18-2010, 05:34 PM
I JUST PURCHACED A 1988 Z-29 I NEVER HAD A BOAT THIS LARGE AND NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING HOW AND WHAT SOME OF THE CONTROLS ARE FOR. THE BOAT WAS REAR ENDED WHILE ON THE TRAILER AND BOTH DRIVES WERE BROKEN OFF IT NEEDED THE BELLHOUSING GIMBLE RING AND DRIVES THEY ARE ALPHA GEN 1 MY QUESTION IS ON THE TRIM RAMS THERE ARE SMALL CYLENDERS WITH CABLES COMING OUT OF THED TRANSOM WHAT ARE THEY FOR I THINK MAYBE THEY ARE TRIM INDICATORS ON THEN DASH THERE IS A GAUGE THAT SAYS KIEKHAEFER AEROMARINE THANKS FOR THE HELP:confused:

Trueser
02-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Have you pulled the motors and removed the gimbals? what is the condition of the stringes / transom?
Most likely those are the trim limit wires.

What motors?
What drives are you going to replace them with?

Any Pictures ???????????

Where was the boat from and where is it?

jbenzeleski
02-18-2010, 07:37 PM
it has 454 engines on the drives it says 454 magnum the transom is ok just needs bell housing gimbal ring and drives im replacing them with abecause lphas because i want to get it on the water and upgrade in the future a friend sold me the parts off his 1987 z-29 he went with 502's and bravo drives the boat is red and white i will post some pistures i live in scranton pa and its snowing

bigdawgchallenger
02-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Snowing is good, lets you go snowmobiling when you get tired of working on boats.

jbenzeleski
02-22-2010, 08:35 PM
here are the pics of my z-29:yes:

jbenzeleski
02-22-2010, 08:54 PM
today i took a input shaft and welded a nut on it and tried to turn the engines over but no luck there froze anybody have any suggestions what to do next i bought the boat at an auction so i dont know anything about the boat maybe pull the plugs and fill with marvel mystery oil

Phil S
02-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Certainly not the brightest bulb in the chandelier here, BUT, are you saying you didn't pull the plugs FIRST before trying to hand-crank it ?

Congratulations on your purchase, but we may need a bit more info to help you along...

Phil S.

Walt. H.
02-22-2010, 09:51 PM
I JUST PURCHACED A 1988 Z-29 MY QUESTION IS ON THE TRIM RAMS THERE ARE SMALL CYLENDERS WITH CABLES COMING OUT OF THED TRANSOM WHAT ARE THEY FOR I THINK MAYBE THEY ARE TRIM INDICATORS ON THEN DASH THERE IS A GAUGE THAT SAYS KIEKHAEFER AEROMARINE THANKS FOR THE HELP:confused:

Yes thats exactly what they are, cable operated trim indicators instead of the usual electrical type.

Trueser
02-22-2010, 09:51 PM
WOW,

Call me I will send you PM with my number. The picture on the right is not good. My guess is the stringers and transom will need to be replaced. A set of Bravo drives and Gimbals. And two of everything you need.

Look thru some of my Sons Z29 and you may see what to look for.

Do they turn over with the starter?
Salt water boat?
When was the last time she was run?

Can you get me some engine/bildge shots?

I too thought the stringers and transom were good. Hammer test passed with flying colors. Drilled the center stringer behind the rear bulkhead and they were completly empty.....Transom was a wet as the snow today. in fact water ran out after I drilled it.

And she ran fine and the motors were still in alignment...

anyway you can repair and fix it all. It depend on you and your cash flow.

thehow33
02-22-2010, 10:09 PM
looks like you will be wet sanding 29ft of fun

jbenzeleski
02-23-2010, 05:36 PM
i removed spark plugs bufore turning it over by hand will not turn with the started eather i dont know any history on the boat other than its from florida there is hardly any corrosion on the drives so im not sure if it was ran in salt or fresh water i have a set of gen 1 alpha drives i planed on putting on it and upgrade to bravos later. please help with my next step
its snowing today so ill try to get some pics of the engines and transoms

bigdawgchallenger
02-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Yes, fill the pistons with liquid wrench or something like that. Let it set a few days. Chances are, if it was a repo from a bank, there is a reason they let it go back. they probably didnt owe that much.

I am replacing both engines in my repo this winter. They had frozen last winter (before I purchased) and showed no signs of it. Put 20 hrs on it this past fall before I had issues.

look at US engines if you have to replace. 7 year warranty, decent prices. i should be getting mine next week.

As for getting it to turn over, I have herd of people putting a airhose to the spark plug holes, finding one that is on the compression stroke, the 120-150 psi makes the engine turn.

Any water in the oil? Moisture in the valve covers? check the oil fill cap for milk colored residue.

thehow33
02-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Yes, fill the pistons with liquid wrench or something like that. Let it set a few days. Chances are, if it was a repo from a bank, there is a reason they let it go back. they probably didnt owe that much.

I am replacing both engines in my repo this winter. They had frozen last winter (before I purchased) and showed no signs of it. Put 20 hrs on it this past fall before I had issues.

look at US engines if you have to replace. 7 year warranty, decent prices. i should be getting mine next week.

please make sure you post a new thread about your new motors when you get them and test them...I was checking prices on motors a while back and came across US engines....they seemed like such a steal to me. I was wondering if they were just that cheap or some other reason that I was missing.

jbenzeleski
02-23-2010, 07:01 PM
i checked the oil and it looks like it was just changed in both engines ill take a valve cover off tomorrow and see what it looks like

bigdawgchallenger
02-26-2010, 10:00 PM
I was in Seattle today for a few hours and had the opportunity to go by the US Engines shop. It looked like a good shop, if that means anything. I wanted to make it by before I purchased, but it didnt work out that way. I would have still bought them from them either way. The people there are nice to work with. Mike was very helpfull.

Of course, my engines shipped yesterday.

I will post more as I get/install/test/run them.

Mike

mrfixxall
02-26-2010, 10:18 PM
i checked the oil and it looks like it was just changed in both engines ill take a valve cover off tomorrow and see what it looks like
First make sure the starter's bendex is not still enguaged,it will keep the motor from turning..

Get some marvel mystery oil and pull all the plugs and squirt some in each cylinder..this may free it up!..i had a 84 chevy that sat at a query for years and the engine was seized,i put some marvel oil in each cylinder and let it sit for a week,them i put my breaker bar on the crankshaft with a 5' piece of pipe and broke it free..installed new plugs and fresh gas and the engine started....i used that truck with that engine for snowplowing for 6yrs then sold it to a guy and he is still using it to do hid long driveway to this day no bs!!

if all else fails http://www.eagleenginesales.com/index.php/products/marine-details/2541-S/

i use this one all the time and its stout..

jbenzeleski
02-27-2010, 05:36 PM
please let me know and post some pics of your new engines. what size are you going with. i think im goig to have to pull my engines i put marvel mystery oil in every plug hole let it sit about a week and still no luck they wont budge. i thin im going to rebuild them because i have one rebuild kit already from summit i was planning to use on my 69 nova ss i also have a performer rpm intake, will this work on a boat. thanks for the help

mrfixxall
02-27-2010, 07:17 PM
please let me know and post some pics of your new engines. what size are you going with. i think im goig to have to pull my engines i put marvel mystery oil in every plug hole let it sit about a week and still no luck they wont budge. i thin im going to rebuild them because i have one rebuild kit already from summit i was planning to use on my 69 nova ss i also have a performer rpm intake, will this work on a boat. thanks for the help

the engines i posted are in customer's boats so i usually dont take pick's of what's not mine..only if its a real stupid situation that i see like someone that forgets to winterize a engine and the frozen water busts up everything..

most likely the engines got salt water in them some how and their froze solid...when you rebuild them make sure you use marine gaskets!!

jbenzeleski
02-27-2010, 09:05 PM
whats the difference with marine gaskets?

mrfixxall
02-27-2010, 10:29 PM
whats the difference with marine gaskets?

car head gaskets have iron in them which will rust with fresh water ..marine head gaskets have stainless steel in them which will not rust..the intake gasket's also have iron in them,the marine is just a felpro h/p paper with the rubberizer coated gasket..