PDA

View Full Version : Maximus Prop?

Titan
02-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Need to prop up since the shorty went on. Has anyone tried a Mercury Maximus prop on a 22' Classic? Are they designed for heavier boats?

Thanks,
Mark

VetteLT193
02-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Need to prop up since the shorty went on. Has anyone tried a Mercury Maximus prop on a 22' Classic? Are they designed for heavier boats?

Thanks,
Mark

how short?

I did a bunch of research on the Maximus and did some comparisons too. Hydromotive makes a similar prop, P5-X, that people seem to like too.

It all depends on your goals and how high you went on the shorty. Are you looking for the best top end? or, cruise and drivability, etc?

Titan
02-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Went -2 on the drive, helped handling but bouncing of the limiter now. Looking for top speed but it has to be controllable and able to handle the the rough conditions.

VetteLT193
02-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Went -2 on the drive, helped handling but bouncing of the limiter now. Looking for top speed but it has to be controllable and able to handle the the rough conditions.

I think you are in the same boat as CarlC. you might want to talk to him. I think he has a worked Bravo 1.

Mine is only up a bit more than an inch and it is an older classic so it might be different anyway. but the Mirage + is fastest but has crappy planing. 4 Blade hydromotive works very well, not as fast on top but much better overall.

mrfixxall
02-17-2010, 01:11 PM
I think your best person to talk to would be Mr X.. he had his share of high perf 22's with many different drive combo's..

Titan
02-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Carl is running a 28" bravo1. I am running a 26" bravo1 now and am happy with the handling, just wondering if anyone new the characteristics of the Maximus? Probably better to just go up one size and stick with what I know works.

mrfixxall
02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Carl is running a 28" bravo1. I am running a 26" bravo1 now and am happy with the handling, just wondering if anyone new the characteristics of the Maximus? Probably better to just go up one size and stick with what I know works.

my experience with the maximus props...It bites hard, its a great low planing prop,no bs your boat will probably stay on plane 20 mph or less..its great for fuel economy.. we lost 2 mph over the bravo 1 prop's but made it up in mpg...in the formula we use 1/2 the fuel that we use to compared to the bravo 1's..i would like to see somebody try a revolution 4 on their 22's.. i think that would be a faster prop..

VetteLT193
02-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Fixx turned me on to the Maximus for my boat... that's when I did the research.

I have yet to try it (long story there). But everything I have read points to the Max being an excellent prop for boats that like to run flat. My 28ZX likes to run flat. 22's like to ride bow high. I can't see the Maximus and the 22 getting along real well.

I agree with Fixx in the Rev 4. I haven't heard of anyone trying it although it seems like it would have most of the benefits of the M+ minus the crappy planing and cruise speeds. Down side is 25" is max size I think...

If I could find a set of 25" Rev 4's to test I'd do it in a heartbeat. They are a real PITA to find at all though.

All in all if you like the Bravo 1 I'd suggest sticking with it. You should be able to find a good used one for now and then try new props later.

yeller
02-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Titan, I have a 27 Hydro Q4, 28 Tempest Plus, 29 M+ and 28 Bravo1. You can try any or all if you like.

I PM'd you my phone #. Give me a call. I'd love to ask you a few questions about the shorty.