View Full Version : OK, I'm buying the Revolution Marine Exhaust

bigdawgchallenger
02-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Any one seen them at a great price? I'v found $950-999

VetteLT193
02-16-2010, 06:51 AM
direct from them the SBC set is 905.

are you BBC or SBC?

Usually if you call a company that does wholesale and retail and simply ask for a discount they will give you something off... The wholesale stuff is priced much lower.

brwn234
02-17-2010, 09:58 AM
I bought my Eddie Marine exhaust from here:

http://www.diamondperformanceparts.com/home.php

I think it's the exact same exhaust. They were the best price I could find. I think everything was just under $1000 for BBC black powder coated.

Barry Eller
02-17-2010, 10:24 AM
I think it's the exact same exhaust. They were the best price I could find. I think everything was just under $1000 for BBC black powder coated.

Not the same. Revolution has a different riser with a "Dam" built into it to prevent reversion. As I have said before, for the money, you can't beat them. I have used them and still have my set for a future project.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61114

realbold
02-17-2010, 01:45 PM
I looked into the base EMI's for sbc's and they say they're a performance upgrade for stock engines, not for hp cams. I dont know why, but it made me look elsewhere. My cam is not too radical, but far from stock.
I might be getting a set of Revolutions.

VetteLT193
02-17-2010, 02:00 PM
I looked into the base EMI's for sbc's and they say they're a performance upgrade for stock engines, not for hp cams. I dont know why, but it made me look elsewhere. My cam is not too radical, but far from stock.

I talked to the owner of Stainless marine and he wouldn't sell me the standard SM exhaust for my small block because it had a bigger cam than stock. I told him it was fine with the stock exhaust... he said that a performance exhaust had a higher probability of reverting because more flow out also means more flow back in.

So... I got the long tailed exhaust.

I think they are all pretty similar from a performance perspective. If you have a cam upgrade it's probably wise to stick to a longer tail or get something with a baffle.

Barry Eller
02-17-2010, 02:08 PM
It is where the water enters the riser. The greater the distance from the water exit of the manifold to the place where water enters the riser and mixes with the exhaust, the less chance of reversion. The cast in dam that the Revolution's have, keep the water from running back down into the manifold/engine. Overlap in high performance camshafts cause the pulses that suck the water back into the engine through the valves.

mrfixxall
02-17-2010, 02:19 PM

I have been running emi's with the aluminium risers for 10 yrs with a 425+hp sbc...radical cam with a 110* lsa...no reverson what so ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLdeNiyk0Ew

Im a emi dealer,let me know if i can assist :)

As for reversion, the little casted dam wont stop the engine from sucking in water spray from the exhaust,the dam is their incase water rushes back in the exhaust..if your worried about reversion just buy a set of dry tail pipes and revert the water out the transom..

Barry Eller
02-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I have been running emi's with the aluminium risers for 10 yrs with a 425+hp sbc...radical cam with a 110* lsa...no reverson what so ever.

What is your idle RPMs? It is at low idle speeds that reversion occurs.

mrfixxall
02-17-2010, 02:30 PM
What is your idle RPMs? It is at low idle speeds that reversion occurs.

usually around 750 rpm in gear :)

Barry Eller
02-17-2010, 02:37 PM
usually around 750 rpm in gear :)
Mercrusiers fix for the original HP 500 was to increasse the idle above 750 rpm in gear. Just run WOT an reversion won't be a problem!:yes:

mrfixxall
02-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Mercrusiers fix for the original HP 500 was to increasse the idle above 750 rpm in gear. Just run WOT an reversion won't be a problem!:yes:

in gear mine will drop below 650 rpm's then i bump it up a little with the throttle..

Barry Eller
02-17-2010, 02:42 PM
..if your worried about reversion just buy a set of dry tail pipes and revert the water out the transom..
Yep, that is why I am now running the GIL Dry pipes!:kingme:

mike o
02-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Im going here when I get some $ for the 6.2L 320 hp mpi I bought last fall. I got a 1 mile of no wake zone to chug to the lake. Whats up with the cam in my 6.2L? Short tails or long for Emi or stainless marine for me?

VetteLT193
02-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Im going here when I get some $ for the 6.2L 320 hp mpi I bought last fall. I got a 1 mile of no wake zone to chug to the lake. Whats up with the cam in my 6.2L? Short tails or long for Emi or stainless marine for me?

It is mild. I have 6.2's in my new boat and they run very smooth and of course work just fine with the regular cast iron Merc exhaust + silent choice + muffler tips.

so... run whatever you want.

mike o
02-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I talked to the owner of Stainless marine and he wouldn't sell me the standard SM exhaust for my small block because it had a bigger cam than stock. I told him it was fine with the stock exhaust... he said that a performance exhaust had a higher probability of reverting because more flow out also means more flow back in.

So... I got the long tailed exhaust.

I think they are all pretty similar from a performance perspective. If you have a cam upgrade it's probably wise to stick to a longer tail or get something with a baffle.So, this post is in regards to your old Minx thats long gone, correct?

MOP
02-17-2010, 05:01 PM
I did not read all the posts above, first of reversion is not a stream of water flowing back up the pipe into the engine it is mostly a heavy mist with droplets the dam stops the droplets but not the mist. The Revolutions are a very good product will only take so much cam, the big cams need longer risers.

Mario ran into reversion with his custom tube headers due to the tubes being to large, the large tubes kill the savaging effect. The header maker supplied reducer plates similar to the Merc Turbulators to neck the flow down which cured the problem, surprised SM does not have them.

VetteLT193
02-18-2010, 10:31 AM
So, this post is in regards to your old Minx thats long gone, correct?

yes!

DC18
02-19-2010, 12:27 AM

As for reversion, the little casted dam wont stop the engine from sucking in water spray from the exhaust,the dam is their incase water rushes back in the exhaust..if your worried about reversion just buy a set of dry tail pipes and revert the water out the transom..

:yes: I opted for the EMI's with the long runners. They will work for small blocks up to arrond 450 H.P. My boat may never see that much H.P. Got mine from Jaime at Lakeside. Will be a silver/platnum color with stainless risers. Should look and perform nicely.

LKSD
02-19-2010, 10:44 AM
:yes: I opted for the EMI's with the long runners. They will work for small blocks up to arrond 450 H.P. My boat may never see that much H.P. Got mine from Jaime at Lakeside. Will be a silver/platnum color with stainless risers. Should look and perform nicely.

Yes.. Thanks.. :) I think they will look killer in your boat.. :) :convertib:

Both the SM & EMI units are good systems for the money, but I recomend the longer risers on the later model small block mag stuff.. If any one needs pricing feel free to call me.. :) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

vlbob2
02-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Any one seen them at a great price? I'v found $950-999
Did you see/consider the EMI thunder Standard Aluminum from West Coast Offshore Marine on sale for $1049 + $75 polished? Bob

vlbob2
02-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Did you see/consider the EMI thunder Standard Aluminum from West Coast Offshore Marine on sale for $1049 + $75 polished? Bob Or, Dana Marine w/ aluminum risers for $1195?

MOP
02-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Dana's ROCK!

LKSD
02-21-2010, 06:30 PM
The SS risers are the ones that allow for more flow. The Aluminum risers are better than the stock cast iron merc stuff, just not as good as a good flowing set on manifolds with good SS risers.. Also the SS risers cost more thus the increase price over the all aluminum manifolds & risers.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

RedDog
02-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Yes.. Thanks.. :) I think they will look killer in your boat.. :) :convertib:
Both the SM & EMI units are good systems for the money, but I recomend the longer risers on the later model small block mag stuff.. If any one needs pricing feel free to call me.. :) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

what would you recommend for a stock 502 Mag with Silent Choice - cheaper the better?

LKSD
02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
I'd recommend the Emi with the std (non long risers) if you are keeping it stock, or at least as long as you are not going to ever go with a big cam. Stainless Marine also makes a good set, but theirs is a bit more money.. We sell & install a good amount of aftermarket exhaust systems. If you want to know what we sell them for feel free to give me a shout during the day, I can also drop ship these kits to you.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

mrfixxall
02-21-2010, 07:42 PM
what would you recommend for a stock 502 Mag with Silent Choice - cheaper the better?

Unless you have higher compression running a ss riser is a waste! The Emi alunimum riser's produce more torque because of the back pressure..i had both on my x and went back to the alunimum riser,it pulled harder in the midrange..I also have 10 2 1 compression..

mike o
02-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Unless you have higher compression running a ss riser is a waste! The Emi alunimum riser's produce more torque because of the back pressure..i had both on my x and went back to the alunimum riser,it pulled harder in the midrange..I also have 10 2 1 compression.. So, save 5-600 bucks and get more torque, This is an interesting thread.:yes:

bigdawgchallenger
02-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Are the EMI's and Revolution a direct replacement for the big block merc's stock exhaust and corsica? Or, will I have to change a bunch of stuff?

Mike

LKSD
02-22-2010, 07:18 AM
So, save 5-600 bucks and get more torque, This is an interesting thread.:yes:

If restrictive is better then no one would need or should bother with upgrades. Unless the exhaust is going to get more restrictive.. lol.. :boggled:

Some one should let merc know to stop using headers On the blue motors & start using GLM's they will be able to save themselves & thier customers more $$ & sell more units! :bonk:

I'm not saying in some circumstances that one could possibly over shoot & on some engines a little back pressure wont hurt. I have seen some unique applications where a little back pressure can aid some set up slightly, But the whole reason for doing an upgrade is to reduce back pressure & increase flow capability..

Again the aluminum manifolds with the aluminum are better & lighter than the cast iron oem stuff, but the Aluminum manifolds with the SS risers are still ther better system. It also allows you to grow a bit.. Also I have yet to ever have lost performance from any upgrades to the aluminum manifolds with ss risers over the stock cast iron.. ;) J

mike o
02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
If restrictive is better then no one would need or should bother with upgrades. Unless the exhaust is going to get more restrictive.. lol.. :boggled:

Some one should let merc know to stop using headers On the blue motors & start using GLM's they will be able to save themselves & thier customers more $$ & sell more units! :bonk:

I'm not saying in some circumstances that one could possibly over shoot & on some engines a little back pressure wont hurt. I have seen some unique applications where a little back pressure can aid some set up slightly, But the whole reason for doing an upgrade is to reduce back pressure & increase flow capability..

Again the aluminum manifolds with the aluminum are better & lighter than the cast iron oem stuff, but the Aluminum manifolds with the SS risers are still ther better system. It also allows you to grow a bit.. Also I have yet to ever have lost performance from any upgrades to the aluminum manifolds with ss risers over the stock cast iron.. ;) J

.Looks like Fix's set up likes the alum risers with his engine, per his post. I can flow with it............:kingme:

bigdawgchallenger
02-23-2010, 05:29 PM
I have left 2 voice mails with Revolution marine, havent herd from them yet. hard to believe they dont want the sale

Mike

Barry Eller
02-23-2010, 06:40 PM
I have left 2 voice mails with Revolution marine, havent herd from them yet. hard to believe they dont want the sale

Mike
That is interesting...:confused:

VetteLT193
02-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Their web site lists events from 2005 so maybe they are a done deal?

Splash
02-24-2010, 07:56 AM
I have installed the Revolution on my 502, it went pretty smooth and the only thing you will have move is the Oil Reservoir for the stern drive. I'm not sure if it was extra but I got all the brackets which included one for the power steering and oil filter. I will post some pictures in the next day or so. I installed them back in 2004 and haven't had a problem since. The only thing I do once a year is re-tightening the exhaust manifold bolts, they have a tendency to loosen up over the season. I have put about 450 hours on them and run 50% in salt water but always finish my outings running back up the CT River which I think helps really flush the salt from the sound. This year I might pull one of the risers off to see what they look like inside, coming up on my 7th year and 450 hours I'm curious what they look like. I was told by Revolution that you can easily get 10 yrs out of them in fresh water but with salt it can reduce the life.

I remember reading on offshoreonly that Revolution is still in business. Here was the note from Revolution and the link to the offshoreonly post.

Thanks for all the positive feedback and we appreciate all the support we have had from our customers and dealers. You guys are absolutely right. With the difficult times the marine industry is experiencing we at Revolution Marine have had to downsize considerably to make ends meet. We are definitely still in business but are not able to man the phones consistently during business hours as before. The best way to reach us is through our website and email. Hopefully the good times will return to our industry soon and we will be able to return our normal mode of operation. Thanks for hanging in there with us and we appreciate all your business!
Gary Michalko
Revolution Marine

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/213468-revolution-marine.html

Good luck, been very happy with the RM setup. Jim

VetteLT193
02-24-2010, 09:02 AM
thanks for that link to OSO. it is interesting that the Revs are the same as EMI.

EMI's can be found on eBay and other places for reasonable and they are available if you can't get through to Revolution.