PDA

View Full Version : 1981 24 Pantera transom replacement pics.

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 09:04 AM
I know I dont post here much, but I figured you guys may be intersted in this. When I bought the boat it had a 1/4 " Aluminum plate over the entire transom, even wrapping up into the splashwell. I knew it was damp, but after 3 years of tinkering I decided to get the boat on the water and worry about it later.............almost 3 years of running the boat, later has come:boggled:

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Saturday I got the motor tucked away nice in the garage

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Sunday, I got the rest of the rigging pulled from the transom, and got the plate off, what a mess.

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 09:07 AM
And yes, the transom is mush, this has nothing to do with Pantera, just the way the previous owner hacked it up, and didnt seal properly.

Cuda
02-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Can you use the old transom as a template?

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Can you use the old transom as a template?

Joe,

If you mean the wood, there isnt much left there, but the glass shell is in pretty good shape under all that sealer, I will cut a new template out of cheap plywood, then transfer it over to the marine stuff.

Rick

Cuda
02-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Measure twice, and cut once! :)

Don't be like my dad and uncle. They cut off a door three times, and it still wasn't long enough.:kingme:

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Measure twice, and cut once! :)

Don't be like my dad and uncle. They cut off a door three times, and it still wasn't long enough.:kingme:

Yes,

I plan on making a cardboard template(out of old Miller Lite Boxes, since I have plenty of them:shades:), then I will transfer that to a piece of 1/4" ply(or something light, and easy to sand), cut it just slightly oversized, and recut, or sand to fit tight. Then I will use that as a final template for the marine ply.

Cuda
02-15-2010, 06:25 PM
You know the only difference between regular plywood and marine plywood is there is glue in the voids.

wannabe
02-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Would Seacast work well for this application? If your not familiar its the stuff that pours into the transom void after the wood is removed. Gets rock hard and no more wood.

BlownCrewCab
02-15-2010, 07:36 PM
incase you haven't thought of it yet, don't make the wood go all the way down to the keel. cut a straight line across about 4" above the drain plug hole, this way it can't "wick up" water into the wood from the drainplug hole. taper the bottom edge (where it's cut off) 45* and it'll be easy to glass and still just as strong. this is the kind of attention to detail that makes a great boat that lasts twice as long.

wannabe
02-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Would Seacast work well for this application? If your not familiar its the stuff that pours into the transom void after the wood is removed. Gets rock hard and no more wood.

Looks expensive after going to the website.http://transomrepair.com (http://transomrepair.com/)

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 08:45 PM
You know the only difference between regular plywood and marine plywood is there is glue in the voids.

And the type of glue used, and the amount of voids, etc. If you were doing this much work, I would think you would spend a few $$ more for piece of mind.

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 08:46 PM

I would never use seacast, especially not on an outboard boat, that gets ridden offshore the way this one does.

rchevelle71
02-15-2010, 08:47 PM
incase you haven't thought of it yet, don't make the wood go all the way down to the keel. cut a straight line across about 4" above the drain plug hole, this way it can't "wick up" water into the wood from the drainplug hole. taper the bottom edge (where it's cut off) 45* and it'll be easy to glass and still just as strong. this is the kind of attention to detail that makes a great boat that lasts twice as long.

I have heard of that, and it is a great idea. I will run it by the glass experts that are helping with the project. Maybe cut the wood off short like you say, but use some other type of coring like foam??

rchevelle71
02-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Got some more done this weekend, got all of the old sealer off the outside, and started the cutting on Saturday.

rchevelle71
02-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Sunday I cut the back 1/4 of the deck off, and started removing the muck, will finish the removal next weekend, probably going to do the stringers also.

rchevelle71
03-01-2010, 07:41 AM
got the wood out this weekend, counted 48 repairs, as you can see by the dowels.