PDA

View Full Version : Mercury smartcraft and DTS questions.

txtaz
02-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Hello all,

Does anyone know when Mercury came out with smartcraft and dts for the Optimax outboards?

I'm looking to replace my XR2 with a newer Optimax 225 and would like to have smartcraft and dts which is digital throttle and shifting. It was make a nice clean install.

Thank you.

VetteLT193
02-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Hello all,
Does anyone know when Mercury came out with smartcraft and dts for the Optimax outboards?
I'm looking to replace my XR2 with a newer Optimax 225 and would like to have smartcraft and dts which is digital throttle and shifting. It was make a nice clean install.
Thank you.

I don't know what year they started but I am 99% sure DTS was/is optional so if you are looking at used engines they should be listed as Optimax 225 DTS instead of just a regular 225.

It was a pretty hefty premium I think by the time you are done with controls too.

I think DTS is and was standard on the Verados though...

txtaz
02-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks Vette.

I've been searching and the best I can come up with is they came out around 2003. I also could not find an upgrade for what goes on the engine to make a standard engine into DTS. They do have kits with the control and wiring harness but there has to be something on the engine to handle the signals.

If your interested, I'll let you know what I find.

VetteLT193
02-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks Vette.
I've been searching and the best I can come up with is they came out around 2003. I also could not find an upgrade for what goes on the engine to make a standard engine into DTS. They do have kits with the control and wiring harness but there has to be something on the engine to handle the signals.
If your interested, I'll let you know what I find.

I know on the engine side there is a servo to operate the throttle which I assume plugs into the engine computer in some fashion. There also has to be something to handle shifting, plus I'd imagine another sensor or two for safety purposes... plus brackets to mount it all.

I doubt there is a kit to upgrade. My guess is in typical Merc fashion the PCM is different between the engines making the upgrade not feasible. Plus I'd bet Merc doesn't want the liability of a botched install on a digital setup.