PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Boat Show..... :-(

gold-n-rod
02-13-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm fresh back from the Detroit Boat Show (the 52nd). What a dissapointment. They used less than 50% of the floor space of previous years and my friend (who is in the business) said there were only 13 dealers participating. Even the non-dealer exhibits were non-existant, such as financing companies, insurance companies, etc.

The closest thing to a perfomance boat was Formula and they had a cruiser and a couple of last year's bowriders. :confused:

A sad state of affairs.

jg480
02-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Sadly the Detroit show has sucked for a few years now, unless your in the market for a pontoon or ski boat. Wouldn't mind trying the Toronto show next year.
Jim.

Carl C
02-13-2010, 09:10 PM
At least we have a world class auto show:convertib:. The boat show has never had any real performance boats:boat:. Unless you count bass boats:bonk:.

gold-n-rod
02-14-2010, 08:07 AM
The boat show has never had any real performance boats:boat:. Unless you count bass boats:bonk:.

I don't agree, Carl. Over the past 10 years, there have been many. Powerquest, Sunsation, Donzis all used to be there. There were frequently 30-40 go fasts on display. Hell, 2 years ago, they had a pontoon with a blue motor! :nilly: It's just in the past 2 years that the show's size and lack of performance has been evident.

I'm going to the Grand Rapids show with my dad on Friday. I'll compare shows and report back.

Carl C
02-14-2010, 09:00 AM
I remember hearing about the 525 'toon. Didn't know that Donzi, Sunny or the others were ever present there.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-14-2010, 12:22 PM
I can remember going to the Detroit boat show in 1984 and Donzi was in the show. I still have the long sleeve Donzi T-shirt that my old man bought for me at the booth. Last time I went to the Detroit show was in 2002 and the only go-fasts that I remember were Sunsation and baja.

Carl C
02-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I went over 10 years ago and the fastest boats were the bass boats from Jan's. The Donzis were no doubt from Lake & Sea Marine on Cass Lake. They stopped selling Donzis a long time ago and I think they are out of business now.

realbold
02-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Detroit boat show has degraded terribly over the years. It was good back in the 80's. Last time I went was in 03 and was very dissapointed.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-15-2010, 10:30 AM
I also remember (I think, lots of maleted hops have gone through me since '84) from that show that my pops got a price on a Magnum when we were there. I think the one they had on display was black with some red and gold. While I thought it looked 'okay', I was leanin on him to consider one of the Donzi's. As it turned out, he didn't buy anything from the show.

I know talking to Trueser the other day, the Chicago show was pretty disappointing this year as well. I am goin to the Los Angeles boat show this Thursday with Jeff (Hard Candy). we had a lot of fun there last year so doin it again.

Last Tango
02-15-2010, 07:10 PM
I was at the North American (Detroit) International Auto Show this year. I have gone each year for many decades. This year the NAIAS was a shadow of its former self. But that problem began last year.
I also attended the Cleveland boat show that same week, and the comments made above about the 50% decrease in space used and folks displaying were absolutely spot on for this show as well.

The basement at Cobo Hall (NAIAS, again) was a driving course through a wooded forest. The trees and plants were all real, in real dirt, with real fertilizer and water keeping them fresh for the two weeks the show runs. Smelled absolutely AWFUL! Old wet fertilized dirt... Nasty. When I was headed down to the basement on the escaltor the smell was so bad I initially thought the guy in front of me had sh*t his pants (I'm still not completely certain he hadn't). Then I realized it was the fertilizer and wet dirt.

gold-n-rod
02-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Update from Grand Rapids.

Not a bad show. Yes, the number of exhibitors was down, in fact, one complete hall used by the boat show in previous years was holding a bridal show, of all things.

Still, they had a nice selection of exhibits and a wakeboard show.

One thing we noticed was that dealers were handing out last year's catalogs or even single sheets as opposed to full color glossy droolbooks.

Reduced, but much less so than the Detroit show.

Bamboo Loui
02-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Still sad as we have among the highest # of registrations of boats in the country.
:confused:

Cuda
02-21-2010, 04:09 PM
I remember hearing about the 525 'toon. Didn't know that Donzi, Sunny or the others were ever present there.
There was a Donzi deck boat on the St John's that had a 525.

Bamboo Loui
02-21-2010, 05:17 PM

serious???? been looking alot at Howards

BUIZILLA
02-21-2010, 05:57 PM

serious???? been looking alot at Howards actually.. it was a Whipplecharged Scorpion small block.. I came this >< close to buying it at one time.. :wink:

Cuda
02-21-2010, 08:36 PM
actually.. it was a Whipplecharged Scorpion small block.. I cam this >< close to buying it at one time.. :wink:
That's right. My mind is mush with this MS. :(