PDA

View Full Version : Cradle or Sling

Marvair
02-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Down here on the coast most of our boat houses have cabled slings, mine included. I normally keep my 23' bay boat in the sling but would like to hang the Donzi on a long weekend. I checked with a local lift company about a cradle and I don't think there's enough slip depth for the lift and the Donzi. I'm concerned about the pressure on the rubrail from the slings, any suggestions. Thanks, Marvin.

Sam
02-12-2010, 05:44 PM
I keep the Donzi on a cradel lift in my boat house but keep my center console on an air dock www.airdock.com . If you have issues with water depth the air dock might make sense for you.

Good Luck

Sam
87M

oledawg
02-12-2010, 05:47 PM
What is the depth of the water in the slip? My 22C comes up on a Doozie with bunk cradles. Water depth in the slip is about 4 feet most of the time.

Marvair
02-12-2010, 06:00 PM
There's 3'-4' depending on the tide, the boat lift folks say it must float on, no power.

BlownCrewCab
02-12-2010, 06:29 PM
You can put a Bar to span the slings about 1' wider than the boat, then there will be no pressure on the rubrail. there's a name for it but I can't think of it right now.

gcarter
02-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Does your Donzi have lifting rings?

Marvair
02-12-2010, 06:45 PM
No lifting rings on the Donzi. Whatever I end up with has to work for the Haynie and the Donzi. I guess I'm asking is will the slings do harm to the boat?

mrfixxall
02-12-2010, 07:28 PM
No lifting rings on the Donzi. Whatever I end up with has to work for the Haynie and the Donzi. I guess I'm asking is will the slings do harm to the boat?

If your going to use sling straps just make sure you use a lifting bar attached to the straps,if you get one wide enough it wont put any stress on the rub rail..

txtaz
02-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I've had slings and they were OK. The best I saw though was an air lift cradle at the Lake of the Ozarks. Nice system.
Check with DonT. His father has one.

gcarter
02-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Spreader bar for the sling!

txtaz
02-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Spreader bar for the sling!

It still only supports 2 parts of the hull. The bow and the stern. I have always wondered about creating a bow in the keel. And they always wear away the rub rail. That is a pain driving the rubber back into the groove. If you get black straps and have a white hull, be prepared to scrub if you want a nice looking boat. Ohhh and then you have to take the boat off the straps to scrub where the straps were or shift the position of the straps as it hangs so you can scrub. AND let's not forget the learning curve of maintenance. Grease zerk's 20 feet up. Replacing the motor and chain is a pain. Always remember to take ALL stress off the lift when cutting the chain or you will end up on whatever is under you. Thankfully for me, it was water BUT too dam#$% close to the dock.

IF you get straps, get the 2' poly stranded/rubber ones if you can find them that big. They won't last as long as the composite rubber because they fray easily. Also there is a company in Florida I used to buy lifts from that did not require overhead supports. They used 2 vertical supports about 6' high and wrapped the coil low on the support from a pully. They were good but you had to have the dock structure to support them. Don't ask me to look them up, those records were toast 4 years ago (7 year rule). But it gives you a start.

My next lift will be a air lift cradle.

At least the entire hull is supported and when something breaks, I'll grab a chair and fix it.

Jraysray
02-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Down here on the coast most of our boat houses have cabled slings, mine included.

If you dont mind me asking, where on the coast are you?

Marvair
02-13-2010, 06:59 AM
I live in Galveston, but the bay house is on Highlands Bayou. Bayou Vista area.

Jraysray
02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Texas Salties grow by one! Do you know how many are here in our area? I am starting to lose count. Welcome!

Marvair
02-13-2010, 12:12 PM
No, I don't. I just bought the boat before Christmas. I've been on the water forever and just started seeing a few Classics. I knew that was the next one for me. I can't wait for some Global Warming to get out and enjoy this new boat!!!

TXDONZI
02-13-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm on Cedar Bayou in Baytown, North of the Hwy 146 bridge.

Good discussion here I have a broken cable on my sling lift with either 8" or 10" slings. The stern cable (3/8" galv.) broke when I was lifting the boat last year. It dropped the stern about 4' while the bow was still in the air. I thought water was going to flow over the stern and sink the boat but it didn't.

I guess I need to replace the cables with stainless (size ?) and slings with the 2' wide ones?

CHACHI
02-13-2010, 05:51 PM
If your going to use sling straps just make sure you use a lifting bar attached to the straps,if you get one wide enough it wont put any stress on the rub rail..
We have to do it this way on my Father in Laws Grady to keep the rub rail intact. We had a cradle on this boat but due to water depth we had to go to slings.

With the spreader bar, the slings work like a charm.

Ken

jg480
02-13-2010, 07:49 PM
I replace the cables on my hoists every four years. One hoist uses 3/8 galv. cable on a two part line picking from four points, it lifts my 26 Proline walk around with no problems. The other lift uses 1/2" stainless cable, 2 part line on a side lift (2 point lift). Soak your cables in a bucket of oil, then wipe dry before installing on your hoist. They will last much longer. If you use the clamp type cable ties make sure you put them on correctly, the saddle part of the clamp should go over the "live" part of the line.
Jim.

In the red
02-14-2010, 07:34 PM
If you use the clamp type cable ties make sure you put them on correctly, the saddle part of the clamp should go over the "live" part of the line.
Jim.

Thanks for the tip on the saddle clamps Jim. I am getting ready to replace my cables on my Magnum 8,000 lb. lift. Here are a couple of pics of my 28ZX on the lift. Note How I modified the the bunks to match the steps in the hull.

http://i37.tinypic.com/28gqwys.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/2d2irm9.jpg

jg480
02-15-2010, 03:57 AM
Those bunks look great. What type of lumber are they?
Jim.

In the red
02-17-2010, 09:29 PM
The caps I added to the original bunks for the steps are just treated 2x4's with white starboard caps on them. The steps on the ZX are exactly 1.5" so it worked out perfect with a 2x4.

Craig S
02-18-2010, 11:20 AM
[quote=TXDONZI;556153]I'm on Cedar Bayou in Baytown, North of the Hwy 146 bridge.

quote]

Wow! Nice place.

VetteLT193
04-09-2010, 08:47 AM
If you use the clamp type cable ties make sure you put them on correctly, the saddle part of the clamp should go over the "live" part of the line.
Jim.

Thanks for the tip on the saddle clamps Jim. I am getting ready to replace my cables on my Magnum 8,000 lb. lift. Here are a couple of pics of my 28ZX on the lift. Note How I modified the the bunks to match the steps in the hull.

Do you happen to remember how much lumber you bought?

I need to modify a bunk for my 28 and I would like to pick up the boat at one place and drop it off, install the wood, etc. in one trip... I have no idea how much wood I might need because I don't have the boat close to measure.