PDA

View Full Version : So where do I cut?

gcarter
02-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I found a deal on a 1" Moeller flange forming die set.
So what's the dimension to cut the tube so that it's not too long and split the tube?
Anyone know?
I know I can wing it, but it'd be better to do it right once.....

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53713&stc=1&d=1265829354

Tidbart
02-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Ok George, I have to ask, what is a 1" Moeller flange forming die set?:bonk:

B

MOP
02-10-2010, 01:55 PM
George you need 1/8", smooth the cut edge the smoother the better. I hate those tubes, cheaper and more secure going with the bronze screw type. Always talked my customers into replacing the tubes.

gcarter
02-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Here ya go....Moeller flanging dies...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53717&stc=1&d=1265832352

gcarter
02-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks Phil.
I think I'll stay w/the tube this time.

BlownCrewCab
02-10-2010, 02:15 PM
an 1/8" or 3/16 is fine, Pack the cavity with 5200 or some good epoxy. put the factory rolled edge on the outside incase your newly rolled edge doesn't come out pretty. is there wood down there?

silverghost
02-10-2010, 02:24 PM
I think you can trace most of the now rotten transoms around today to those dang improperly sealed drain tubes !
Add the fact that in my lagoon dock area in Ocean City Nj, some vandals are pulling-out drain plugs and sinking boats & I have to agree with the pipe plug & flange style drains bedded-in with 3M 5200 .

Who knew that they made a transom drain tube flange flaring die tool ?

gcarter
02-10-2010, 02:40 PM
My 22+ year old transom wood is perfectly sound.
I guess I just like the 1" tube type fitting.
And you can be assured that it will be sealed properly w/5200.
I like the type of seal you get w/a properly tensioned rubber plug in the fitting. That sucker is just not going anywhere unless you loosen it.
There's just not any way it can fall out if it's installed properly.
I have nothing against any other type of transom fitting...it's just my thing.

I appreciate the 1/8"-3/16" info.
Pictures to follow in the other thread this weekend.

I'm gonna try to wrap up a lot of details this weekend.
I have a few parts to paint, a pickup to install,
Install a water block off plate inside the gimbal housing.
Gotta plug the old pitot fitting hole through the gimbal housing.
Do some assembly on the tabs and try to get them installed.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-10-2010, 09:03 PM
George,
I always would insert the tube and tape it in place from the outside. Then you can draw a line around it inside the transom using something like a Sanford marker. The 1/8" extra shoulder should bend almost perfectly to seal the tube in place using whatever putty you choose. They don't give those dies away - do they? Bill

gcarter
02-10-2010, 09:12 PM
George,
I always would insert the tube and tape it in place from the outside. Then you can draw a line around it inside the transom using something like a Sanford marker. The 1/8" extra shoulder should bend almost perfectly to seal the tube in place using whatever putty you choose. They don't give those dies away - do they? Bill

No, they don't give them away, but I was determined to find one for less than what Jamestown charges for them!
Thanks for the tip!:yes: