PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in illinois

thehow33
02-10-2010, 07:23 AM
12-14inches of snow and an earthquake last night.

At 4:01am I opened my eyes to see my bed posts shaking and then realized my whole house was shaking. My dog stood up and then started staring at the floor. I have nothing holding me back now from moving to California. We have the crazies, dirty politicians, and now earthquakes. I would at least get rid of this weather.

Trueser
02-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Same here,

dsparis
02-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Ditto from Dupage

Tidbart
02-10-2010, 08:09 AM
I have nothing holding me back now from moving to California. We have the crazies, dirty politicians, and now earthquakes.

So what is going to be different in California??:bonk:

Cuda
02-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Bob has it right. Orlando doesn't have earthquakes or cold weather. :)

The Hedgehog
02-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Bob has it right. Orlando doesn't have earthquakes or cold weather. :)

No, but it does have a bunch of old people and hurricanes.

I guess that you can't have it all. Tn is great but it has been pretty dang cold for the southern folk here this winter.

mrfixxall
02-10-2010, 09:44 AM
i didnt feel a thing,,,howey i woke up this morning too with my bed post shaking also!! but it wasn't from a earthquake tho :biggrin.:

thehow33
02-10-2010, 09:46 AM
so what is going to be different in california??:bonk:

the weather

Cuda
02-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I guess that you can't have it all. Tn is great but it has been pretty dang cold for the southern folk here this winter.
I've lived in Florida most of my life, and I've had a hurricane effect me once in 40+ years. I'll take that over the certainy of cold weather every single year.

Cuda
02-10-2010, 09:48 AM
the weather
I have a cousin that lives in California, and she's afraid her house will slide into a ravine after all the rain out there.

Cuda
02-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Any place north of Florida is not south as far as I'm concerned. It snowed here once last month. I was thinking about Jamaica, or Costa Rica. I was born farther south in the Phillipines. My mom said my lips turned blue by the time we got to Hawaii on the ship. It took 18 days by ship from the Phillipines to San Fransico.

thehow33
02-10-2010, 10:01 AM
i didnt feel a thing,,,howey i woke up this morning too with my bed post shaking also!! but it wasn't from a earthquake tho :biggrin.:

:yes:

thehow33
02-10-2010, 10:05 AM
I have a cousin that lives in California, and she's afraid her house will slide into a ravine after all the rain out there.

I'll build a house on a plateau

Walt. H.
02-10-2010, 10:27 AM
I rather deal with a hurricane cause we can be notified thru weather forecasts with plenty of time if one is headed your way to get to safety from one if need be, and they don't happen out of the blue without warning like earthquakes always do.
So thats the major difference between those two potential killers.

The Hedgehog
02-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Any place north of Florida is not south as far as I'm concerned. It snowed here once last month. I was thinking about Jamaica, or Costa Rica. I was born farther south in the Phillipines. My mom said my lips turned blue by the time we got to Hawaii on the ship. It took 18 days by ship from the Phillipines to San Fransico.

Actually, we think that anything south of I-10 is not south. It is not a bad thing, just not the South. Plenty of good people down there though and you can't complain about the weather. That is not geographically speaking.

I bet you can ask most in the southern states like Bama, Ga, SC, Tn, Ms etc and they will say the same thing.

Trueser
02-10-2010, 11:10 AM

Bad dream?

MOP
02-10-2010, 11:13 AM
One of the largest US quakes was in Missouri, I saw a special on it awhile back. The link below tells about it and some others.

http://www.maar.us/historical_earthquakes.html

handfulz28
02-10-2010, 11:16 AM
"My South is better than your south"....:popcorn: :D

Wasn't there some talk after the Haiti quake that the plate(s) involved might indicate the possibility of activity in the central US?

I'm undecided on the blizzard/hurricane idea. I've done the snow/cancelled flights thing in Boston/NYC/DC...and I've done the hurricane thing here in FL. I've specifically avoided CA because of earthquakes.

mrfixxall
02-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Bad dream?

Not at all :) put it this way i had a NAKKED beautiful FEMALE body laying some where really close to me.....:wink:

Cuda
02-10-2010, 01:11 PM
I rather deal with a hurricane cause we can be notified thru weather forecasts with plenty of time if one is headed your way to get to safety from one if need be, and they don't happen out of the blue without warning like earthquakes always do.
So thats the major difference between those two potential killers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbHTGq3oDRc&feature=fvw

Cuda
02-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Actually, we think that anything south of I-10 is not south. It is not a bad thing, just not the South. Plenty of good people down there though and you can't complain about the weather. That is not geographically speaking.

I bet you can ask most in the southern states like Bama, Ga, SC, Tn, Ms etc and they will say the same thing.
They'd be wrong too. Look at a globe and tell me about it again. :)

I've been to all the states you mentioned, I even spent a summer in Tennessee just outside of Gatlinburg, in the Smokey Moutains. We lived "On Cosby" apparetly nobody lives in Cosby. I never saw a bunch of backward azz coutry folk in my life, and my dad's from West Virginia. I had to hire some help. Unemployment in that county was 18%. The applications had a place to ask if you have ever been arrested. The first two I looked at said Yes, for making whiskey. There was a guy who owned a gas station right down from where I lived, and everybody knew he killed his wife, but they reckoned she deserved it.

So, I guess there are plenty of fine folks north of I-10 also.

Cuda
02-10-2010, 01:24 PM
I'll build a house on a plateau
Good way to get ocean front property. :)

Brush up on your Spanish too.

The Hedgehog
02-10-2010, 02:18 PM
They'd be wrong too. Look at a globe and tell me about it again. :)
I've been to all the states you mentioned, I even spent a summer in Tennessee just outside of Gatlinburg, in the Smokey Moutains. We lived "On Cosby" apparetly nobody lives in Cosby. I never saw a bunch of backward azz coutry folk in my life, and my dad's from West Virginia. I had to hire some help. Unemployment in that county was 18%. The applications had a place to ask if you have ever been arrested. The first two I looked at said Yes, for making whiskey. There was a guy who owned a gas station right down from where I lived, and everybody knew he killed his wife, but they reckoned she deserved it.
So, I guess there are plenty of fine folks north of I-10 also.

I am glad to know that we have some back ass hillbillies here. I appreciate that you pointing that out to me. I did not notice it too much so I must be one myself.

BTW, I meant it when I said that I know some great people south of I-10. I really do. I certainly did not say anything bad about your state.

That is unfortunate that you equate the South with bunch of killing and bootlegging idiots. Perhaps you have not had the good fortune of meeting some of our good people. But then again its a Southern Thing. It usually takes a little more than some time in Gatlinburg to get it.

I have spent considerable time in most parts of the country. I have been to all but 4 states and prefer to think about the good people I meet. Sure I joke them all in a kind hearted way. We ALL have some of the dregs of society living in our states. We ALL have our stereotypes. I can handle mine. I am sorry if I struck such a nerve with my old people comment. Who would have thought? It is only one of the retirement capitals of the country.

As far as the globe thing goes......well I am just going to bow out of that one. After all, I am just a gun toting, bootlegging idiot. But then what do I know?

Phil S
02-10-2010, 02:29 PM
"I am just a gun toting, bootlegging backward azz coutry folk idiot"

HEY ! I resemble that remark ! :yes:

Happy in South Cack-a-lacky and pass the peach brandy please ! :party:

Phil

Cuda
02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
I am glad to know that we have some back ass hillbillies here. I appreciate that you pointing that out to me. I did not notice it too much so I must be one myself.

BTW, I meant it when I said that I know some great people south of I-10. I really do. I certainly did not say anything bad about your state.

That is unfortunate that you equate the South with bunch of killing and bootlegging idiots. Perhaps you have not had the good fortune of meeting some of our good people. But then again its a Southern Thing. It usually takes a little more than some time in Gatlinburg to get it.

I have spent considerable time in most parts of the country. I have been to all but 4 states and prefer to think about the good people I meet. Sure I joke them all in a kind hearted way. We ALL have some of the dregs of society living in our states. We ALL have our stereotypes. I can handle mine. I am sorry if I struck such a nerve with my old people comment. Who would have thought? It is only one of the retirement capitals of the country.

As far as the globe thing goes......well I am just going to bow out of that one. After all, I am just a gun toting, bootlegging idiot. But then what do I know?
It didn't strike a nerve with me at all. Just for general info, I've been to 38 of the states, and Hawaii before it even was a state.

Getting old beats the alternative.

thehow33
02-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Good way to get ocean front property. :)

Brush up on your Spanish too.

How's this

!Me gustan los terremotos!

http://www.elstopsis.nl/Smilies09=/WE5Earthquake.gif

Phil S
02-10-2010, 10:26 PM
i had a NAKKED beautiful FEMALE body laying some where really close to me.....
:wink::lookaroun:

...where were you when you woke up ??(jus' kiddin'....couldn't resist)

Phil

Phil S
02-10-2010, 10:42 PM
I had 3 yrs in high school, 2 semesters in college, and all I can remember are the cuss word phrases, that usually ended up with me in detention somehow (?).:lookaroun: I couldn't conjugate a verb, much less diagram or speak a sentence in Spanish now if my life depended on it.

Our company does a fair bit of construction, and we wind up with quite a few south-of-the-border crews as sub-contractors on a job-site. The only damn thing I understand are the names they're calling me....which is kinda fun to "catch them" at.

Shoulda paid more attention in HS instead of dreamin' about Donzi Girls.....

wasted edumacation on me :yes: .....go figure....

Phil

DC18
02-11-2010, 12:16 AM
12-14inches of snow and an earthquake last night.

At 4:01am I opened my eyes to see my bed posts shaking and then realized my whole house was shaking. My dog stood up and then started staring at the floor. I have nothing holding me back now from moving to California. We have the crazies, dirty politicians, and now earthquakes. I would at least get rid of this weather.
:confused: I was in the basement. Ran like H___ upstairs!!

BigGrizzly
02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Well I use to live in Long Beach. The best thing we did was leave. Calif. is the most predigest place I have ever lived including Atlanta. As a friend of mine who lived there his whole life says "If you don't really know why you want to live here you shouldn't be here". Thinking about it awhile, I totally understand. Have you ever been shot at on the highway? Remember the sniper in 1989, I was there and the richosey from the step van hit my helmet. Jobs are hard to fine unless you worl for a large company and are transferred there like me. Plus N. Pelosi lives there. California did have its moments. Plus I like four seasons, Not a lot of it just a short change. I boat usually from end of March till the beginning of November.

zelatore
02-11-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm a bit late to the party, but as a former Hoosier now living in California I'll add my 2 cents.

So you've got earthquakes in Illinois now, along with the other items like the politicians...so what's different about California?

Well, do you have 9.75% sales tax? We do. At least in the county I work in. It varies a bit from county to county.

Do you have (still) crazy real estate prices? We do.

On the other hand, do you have a coast? Big Sur and highway 101 are sorta nice, as are San Francisco or San Diego Bays. How are you on mountains? Maybe some fresh water - lake Tahoe, Lake Berryessa, Clear Lake, Lake Shasta, the delta...and that's just in NorCal. How about national parks. I'm kinda fond of Yosemite myself. I don't recall anything quite like it in Indiana, but Illinois is much bigger and must have something along those lines. Like serenity and isolation? Try the northern part of the state and hang out among the oldest living things on the planet - the redwoods.

I'm in NorCal, so I can't really say much about living in SoCal like Griz did. We've had plenty of crazies and our own freeway shootings, but it is a different vibe than the south (see, we have a south too!)

And Cuda, about that spanish. It would certainly come in handy around here from time to time, but I suspect it would also be useful in Florida!

The earthquakes are over-rated. I've been here 10 years and I've only felt 2. The first was so minor I though it was a truck passing by and didn't even realize what it was. The second was enough to wake me up (I was sleeping on my boat in Oakland) but caused almost no damage anywhere, certainly none to my home, boats, cars, office, etc. Very non-event. We did recently have a pretty big one waaaaay up by the Oregon boarder that caused some damage, but no injuries that I've heard of.

I suppose it's pick your poison. Florida has hurricanes. the midwest has tornadoes. We've got earthquakes. You can't predict those earthquakes, but they're few and far between. The other two happen multiple times a year, every year.

I'm happy with what I've got. Two weekends ago I was snowshoeing at Yosemite by a full moon. This weekend I'll be camping in the redwoods. Today I'll be on a boat on SF Bay in 60 degree weather. It's got it's pluses, this California. (although I wouldn't mind a little lower taxes and cost of living...)

Cuda
02-11-2010, 04:44 PM
I had 3 yrs in high school, 2 semesters in college, and all I can remember are the cuss word phrases, that usually ended up with me in detention somehow (?).:lookaroun: I couldn't conjugate a verb, much less diagram or speak a sentence in Spanish now if my life depended on it.
Our company does a fair bit of construction, and we wind up with quite a few south-of-the-border crews as sub-contractors on a job-site. The only damn thing I understand are the names they're calling me....which is kinda fun to "catch them" at.
Shoulda paid more attention in HS instead of dreamin' about Donzi Girls.....
wasted edumacation on me :yes: .....go figure....
Phil
I had three years of German in high school, so I don't have to take a course in a foreign language now. I wanted to point out the English is a foreign language now days. :(

thehow33
02-11-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm a bit late to the party, but as a former Hoosier now living in California I'll add my 2 cents.

So you've got earthquakes in Illinois now, along with the other items like the politicians...so what's different about California?

Well, do you have 9.75% sales tax? We do. At least in the county I work in. It varies a bit from county to county.

Do you have (still) crazy real estate prices? We do.
(although I wouldn't mind a little lower taxes and cost of living...)

Our sales tax around and in Chicago is 10.25%, we do have earthquakes, tornadoes, floods along the mississippi river, corruption in chicago and in our capitol. We have all the bad things that Cali has except raging forest fires and your cost of living is still higher not sure by what percentage though.

The one and only good thing that I can think of is Lake Michigan which is a big plus to me. However, we have don't have the nice weather, wine country, awesome race tracks, mountains, the pacific ocean coast line, or Muir woods (which is where the pics are from.)
My wife has been bugging me about moving to Cupertino because some of her family live there and in Sonoma. I came up with some good reasons, but after looking at it this way I don't see why not.haha

The Hedgehog
02-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Our sales tax around and in Chicago is 10.25%, we do have earthquakes, tornadoes, floods along the mississippi river, corruption in chicago and in our capitol. We have all the bad things that Cali has except raging forest fires and your cost of living is still higher not sure by what percentage though.

The one and only good thing that I can think of is Lake Michigan which is a big plus to me. However, we have don't have the nice weather, wine country, awesome race tracks, mountains, the pacific ocean coast line, or Muir woods (which is where the pics are from.)
My wife has been bugging me about moving to Cupertino because some of her family live there and in Sonoma. I came up with some good reasons, but after looking at it this way I don't see why not.haha

It is a beautiful part of the country.

zelatore
02-11-2010, 06:46 PM
It is a beautiful part of the country.

Sonoma moreso that Cupertino. Unless maybe you like apples.

Cuda
02-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Nothern California is beautiful. The Mt Shasta area is wonderful.

The Hedgehog
02-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Sonoma moreso that Cupertino. Unless maybe you like apples.

Nah, I was referring to the overall area. After a day or so in the wine country I am done. Now I can spend weeks in the Yosemite area and then head up to Northern Cal

Conquistador_del_mar
02-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Nah, I was referring to the overall area. After a day or so in the wine country I am done. Now I can spend weeks in the Yosemite area and then head up to Northern Cal

In 2003, my wife and I went out to California for a week when she was called to be on Wheel of Fortune. We decided to make it a vacation trip since we had to go out there anyway. After touring the coast highway, Yosemite, the miles of agricultural fields with every fruit and vegetable, and San Fransisco with all the incredible types of geological formations along the way, I told Deanna that I would move there if she ever wanted to move. We even found the people to be interesting and really nice. We only spent 2 days in Yosemite which was not enough - I had not been there since 1963 on a family trip with my grandparents when we traveled almost every park out west for 6 weeks. Bill

zelatore
02-12-2010, 10:33 AM

Crap man! Over 10% in Chicago? I had no idea. I would have guessed about 6 or 7%

Funny you should mention Muir Woods. I haven't been there in at 6 or 7 years, but just last weekend I found one of our old flyers with trail maps of the place and left it out where Michele would see it when she got back from a trip thinking we should get back there since it's so close to my office in Oakland.

Nothern California is beautiful. The Mt Shasta area is wonderful.

I haven't spent much time up around Shasta. I keep meaning to, but just never get up there. Another place I've driven near but haven't gone to is Lassen Volcano NP. Not too far from Shasta.

In 2003, my wife and I went out to California for a week when she was called to be on Wheel of Fortune. We decided to make it a vacation trip since we had to go out there anyway. After touring the coast highway, Yosemite, the miles of agricultural fields with every fruit and vegetable, and San Fransisco with all the incredible types of geological formations along the way, I told Deanna that I would move there if she ever wanted to move. We even found the people to be interesting and really nice. We only spent 2 days in Yosemite which was not enough - I had not been there since 1963 on a family trip with my grandparents when we traveled almost every park out west for 6 weeks. Bill

It's hard to beat Yosemite. It's one of the few places that really does live up to it's reputation with no disapointments. I do try to stay away during the summer to avoid the crowds, but if you ever get a chance to go you need to regardless of the season. I'm not a particularly religious person, but find a nice quite area with a good view of the valley, and you can't help but know God made this place.

From a coule weeks ago, Dewey point on the south side of the valley. El Capitan is in the foreground on the left; you can just see Half Dome way out in the upper right. A different view than you normally get.

zelatore
02-12-2010, 10:38 AM

Oh yeah, you forgot one natural disaster that comes after the fires - mud slides!

But actually, what I wanted to ask was have you driven any of the tracks out here? I would have added the tracks as part of my little rant earlier, but Chicago has pretty good access to tracks. My all-time favorite is nearby - Road America, and you've got Gingerman, Gratten, IRP, and several others within a few hours drive.

thehow33
02-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Oh yeah, you forgot one natural disaster that comes after the fires - mud slides!

But actually, what I wanted to ask was have you driven any of the tracks out here? I would have added the tracks as part of my little rant earlier, but Chicago has pretty good access to tracks. My all-time favorite is nearby - Road America, and you've got Gingerman, Gratten, IRP, and several others within a few hours drive.

I was suppose to go to leguna seca 2 weekends ago for the 3 day racing school. However, I had a broken arm and just today my Dr. cleared me so unfortunately I didn't get to go. That would have been my first driving experience out west.
You are right we do have a handful of pretty good tracks here in the midwest. We have the Autobahn in Joliet (very new and also $35k to join), Mid-Ohio (Walls are a little close), and of course Road America.