PDA

View Full Version : 22Zx Bimini

LuauLounge
02-09-2010, 08:13 PM
I need to get a Bimini top before the summer. Has anyone done this? If so, whose did you use, what size, did you wish you would have done something different. Thanks in advance.......

LKSD
02-10-2010, 10:17 AM
I have installed them for customers with that model. My # is below, I can give you a price if interested. I can sell you the parts, or also do the install too if needed.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

rtgogo
02-10-2010, 07:49 PM
I have installed them for customers with that model. My # is below, I can give you a price if interested. I can sell you the parts, or also do the install too if needed.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

Any pics?

LKSD
02-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Here, ya go... The pics were taken in my shop quite a while ago.. :)

Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

Barry Eller
02-11-2010, 07:50 AM
You will enjoy a Bimini in the middle of a Summers day heat!
My only suggestion, is to be sure the frame work is strong (mine is welded SS) and have the front leading edge lower than the rear edge to prevent parachuting.

Tidbart
02-11-2010, 10:16 AM
You will enjoy a Bimini in the middle of a Summers day heat!
My only suggestion, is to be sure the frame work is strong (mine is welded SS) and have the front leading edge lower than the rear edge to prevent parachuting.

Barry,
Do you remember how much $$, roughly, your top was? SS and Sunbrella, correct?
Do you run with it up, at what max speed?
Do you fold it forward, backward, or either, when it is down?

Thanks, Bob

Barry Eller
02-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Bob, my top was custom made here in Pensacola by Reddish Canvas. SS with Sunbrella. I have the rear braces at the rear of the frame that hold the top up when not opened. I have a zipper boot to cover it. I have run WOT with it opened and closed. The mounts are thru bolted with LARGE SS washers, all joints are spot welded, with quick release pins that secure the frame ends to the mounts. The front leading edge is 6" lower than the rear. No parachuting, it flies flat at speed. I may get some lift and some downforce with the changing angle of attack, but it is stretched so tight on the frame I don't see any movement of the material. All seams are double stitched like a pair of blue jeans. I paid $900.00 installed in 2004 for the top.

Tidbart
02-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the information Barry. I might do one this year. Had a few 'moles' removed over the winter. Maybe time to get out of the sun.

B

Barry Eller
02-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the information Barry. I might do one this year. Had a few 'moles' removed over the winter. Maybe time to get out of the sun.

B

Been there...done that. My Doctor told me that if I don't take better care of my skin, that I will have to wear contact lens...I won't have any ears or a nose to keep my glasses on!:shades:

BUIZILLA
02-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Bob... I got a killer canvas guy... :cool:

brwn234
06-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Any progress on this? I was considering having someone build me a bimini top for my 22zx until they gave me an estimate of $1,500 to $1,600. I know it's a Donzi, and typically I don't skimp but I can't afford that. I'm sure a custom top will be stronger than an out of the box top but I've decided I won't be using it while on plane, only for shade while floating.

I've been looking at Bimini's by CarverCover. Boatcoversdirect.com sells them at a good price and I can get it made in every Sunbrella color not just a few. And.....it's made in the USA, South Carolina to be exact. My only concern with installing it myself is I don't know how to ensure it fits around the cowling that goes around the cockpit of the boat. It angles in twoard the center and if the bows are at 90 degrees to the gunwale I'm concerned it won't fit or fold up properly. The two common sizes I would be considering are 73"-78" and 79"-84". The mounting points on my boat are literally 78.5" My gut tells me to order the smaller size and the bows will be angled in properly but I don't want to spend $400 on something I'm going to list on ebay because it doesnt fit right. Any ideas on what size to go with to ensure a good fit?

VetteLT193
06-16-2010, 02:04 PM
I was just looking at a 28 ZX on the Offshore Only classifieds with a bimini. Nice setup designed for 65 MPH, it has an additional hard mount in the front instead of straps. check it out if you have a minute. looks very sturdy. I'm trying to get a quote from the dealer.

brwn234
06-16-2010, 06:30 PM
That looks pretty nice. You could put brace bar in the front and rear and never worry about a thing, and I think it would look realy cool. I talked to a marine canvas guy in my area on Monday. He wanted $1,500 to $1,600 for a 6'Lx78"Wx36"H 3 bow top with alum bars and stainless fittings. Too much for me. I've got one more place I'm going to get an estimate from. If it's still too expensive I'll have to buy one online and hope I can install it nicely myself.

LuauLounge
06-16-2010, 10:41 PM
I ordered one of the Carver tops from iBoats.
I went for the 6', smaller width and 46" high, which I plan to cut down.
Unfortunately, it hasn't seen the boat yet. I went with Sunbrella, aluminum tubing and SS fittings. Quality is excellant.
Installation will be in the next couple of weeks.....

If I wasn't working, my boat (and I) would be happier.

Tidbart
06-17-2010, 06:45 AM
I talked to a marine canvas guy in my area on Monday. He wanted $1,500 to $1,600 for a 6'Lx78"Wx36"H 3 bow top with alum bars and stainless fittings.

For that money, it had better be all stainless. That guys is trying to rip you off, IMO. In this economy, I am thinking 1000-1200 max for all stainless and Sunbrella, with a boot, installed.

B

brwn234
06-17-2010, 07:45 AM
I ordered one of the Carver tops from iBoats.
I went for the 6', smaller width and 46" high

So you did choose the 73-78? Do you plan on mounting it on the gunwale inside the faring? Please keep me update on how it turns out, I'm looking at doing the exact same install. Thanks

For that money, it had better be all stainless. That guys is trying to rip you off, IMO. In this economy, I am thinking 1000-1200 max for all stainless and Sunbrella, with a boot, installed.

B

I was willing to pay $600 to $800 for alum with ss fittings. I was kinda shocked to hear his estimate.

Cuda
06-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Any progress on this? I was considering having someone build me a bimini top for my 22zx until they gave me an estimate of $1,500 to $1,600. I know it's a Donzi, and typically I don't skimp but I can't afford that. I'm sure a custom top will be stronger than an out of the box top but I've decided I won't be using it while on plane, only for shade while floating.

I've been looking at Bimini's by CarverCover. Boatcoversdirect.com sells them at a good price and I can get it made in every Sunbrella color not just a few. And.....it's made in the USA, South Carolina to be exact. My only concern with installing it myself is I don't know how to ensure it fits around the cowling that goes around the cockpit of the boat. It angles in twoard the center and if the bows are at 90 degrees to the gunwale I'm concerned it won't fit or fold up properly. The two common sizes I would be considering are 73"-78" and 79"-84". The mounting points on my boat are literally 78.5" My gut tells me to order the smaller size and the bows will be angled in properly but I don't want to spend $400 on something I'm going to list on ebay because it doesnt fit right. Any ideas on what size to go with to ensure a good fit?

Some 50 wt sunscreen cost much less.

brwn234
06-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Some 50 wt sunscreen cost much less.

I'm with you. But my 3 month old disagres. I never thought I'd be putting a bimini on my ZX but I didnt plan on having her either. She's a blast on the boat when she's not fussing about the heat, so bimini it is. Tried the AnchorShade, too wobbly.

Barry Eller
06-17-2010, 05:07 PM

B

I agree Bob, WAY too much $$$. And yes, go with stainless frame.

Cuda
06-17-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm with you. But my 3 month old disagres. I never thought I'd be putting a bimini on my ZX but I didnt plan on having her either. She's a blast on the boat when she's not fussing about the heat, so bimini it is. Tried the AnchorShade, too wobbly.
I think you can get child's sunscreen, although I don't know. I never had children myself.

Tidbart
06-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Sunscreen is no substitute for shade.

Cuda
06-18-2010, 06:42 AM
Sunscreen is no substitute for shade.
If I want shade, I'll grab a cane pole and find a shady tree on the river bank. :)

VetteLT193
06-18-2010, 07:29 AM
I think you can get child's sunscreen, although I don't know. I never had children myself.

Heat is the killer, not the sun.

Cuda
06-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Killer of what? When we moved from Oregon to St Pete, it was 115 in Kansas. Hot is hot. Stay in the a/c house if you can't take the heat.