PDA

View Full Version : engine flush

daved
02-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Could someone answer a question for me regarding the hose connector on my 22C? I like to flush the engine after a salt water run and am not sure if I need to use the ear muff type on the outdrive or if just hooking a hose up to the connector is ok. I was thinking that if the impeller has no water passing over it, it could burn. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dave

Planetwarmer
02-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Don't run the engine with the dedicated engine flush port. That will burn up the impeller. Gotta use the ear muffs.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Don't run the engine with the dedicated engine flush port. That will burn up the impeller. Gotta use the ear muffs.

So what is the purpose of the engine flush port if you have to use muffs? My 36' Cigarette has the flush ports, but I figured I would have to block the water intakes in order to run the engines. Don't some of the systems have a one way valve setup or manual valves that could direct which way the water enters the intake hose? Bill

Planetwarmer
02-08-2010, 12:30 PM
My impeller is in the drive (Alpha 1), and it will burn up if I run the motor through the flush port. There is even a sticker from the factory saying this just above the port.

This is my boat.

MOP
02-08-2010, 01:35 PM
His pump is on the engine!!!!! Yes just hook the hose to and run int no sweat!

Planetwarmer
02-08-2010, 03:25 PM
His pump is on the engine!!!!! Yes just hook the hose to and run int no sweat!
Must be nice!

joseph m. hahnl
02-09-2010, 03:45 PM
So what is the purpose of the engine flush port if you have to use muffs? My 36' Cigarette has the flush ports, but I figured I would have to block the water intakes in order to run the engines. Don't some of the systems have a one way valve setup or manual valves that could direct which way the water enters the intake hose? Bill

The purpose of the flush port is to be able to flush the system, without running the engine at all.

MOP
02-09-2010, 04:09 PM
The purpose of the flush port is to be able to flush the system, without running the engine at all.

Joe problem is very little water gets by the Tstat, you do not get a good flush unless you run it. Also the sea pump will stop most all of the flow.

Phil

gcarter
02-09-2010, 05:57 PM
My impeller is in the drive (Alpha 1), and it will burn up if I run the motor through the flush port. There is even a sticker from the factory saying this just above the port.

This is my boat.

You can change this just like I did on the Minx;
Add an engine mounted seawater pump.
Remove the empellor from the alpha.
Add a transom pickup.

Total cost should be around $300 and some labor.
Try it, you'll like it!

Ghost
02-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Add a transom pickup.

Try it, you'll like it!

Sounds good in nearly every way, but...are there any components in the drive that will run hot as a result? Just an idea, I don't claim to know.

Mike

MOP
02-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Mike you just remove the hose from the drive to the shield and it flows more water then with the hose in place, the trick would be to find a way to route it to the cap!

realbold
02-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Why couldn't you remove the impeller from the drive and use the drive's water pickup routed to the engine driven pump?

gcarter
02-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Why couldn't you remove the impeller from the drive and use the drive's water pickup routed to the engine driven pump?

Evrything about the Alpha cooling system is too small.
The typical size of the passageway through the outdrive is about 1/2"!!!!!

gcarter
02-09-2010, 07:36 PM
But a bulkhead fitting through the rearward part of the bell housing and a nozzle of some sort on the outside aimed at the outdrive cap would be neat.

joseph m. hahnl
02-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Joe problem is very little water gets by the Tstat, you do not get a good flush unless you run it. Also the sea pump will stop most all of the flow.

Phil

Why bother with the flush port , if your going to run water through it with the muffs. You would need two garden hoses to do both at the same time. I disconnected my flush when I went with the full cooler.I run in fresh water, but should, she ever see salt again . A few rips up and back on the lake should take care off it.

Donzi Vol
02-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Add a transom pickup.

Try it, you'll like it!

George, my 18 has a water pickup on the bottom, and the pickup holes on the drive have been covered up at some point. There is a valve that I can hook a hose into in the engine compartment to flush the motor. You have to turn a lever to switch the pickup from the bottom to the valve, but once you do that it runs through quite nicely. Is this the same system that you put on the Minx? What are the dangers to my impeller running it this way? Thanks, David

gcarter
02-09-2010, 10:49 PM
George, my 18 has a water pickup on the bottom, and the pickup holes on the drive have been covered up at some point. There is a valve that I can hook a hose into in the engine compartment to flush the motor. You have to turn a lever to switch the pickup from the bottom to the valve, but once you do that it runs through quite nicely. Is this the same system that you put on the Minx? What are the dangers to my impeller running it this way?

I'm curious how the original pickup holes were covered up?????
It's really a good idea to have water run through the drive to help cool the drive. If a person is doing this, just remove the impellor from the pump housing in the drive. On the front end of the drive upper, remove the hose that connects the drive to the gimbal housing, and block off the flange on the inside of the gimbal housing where the hose fitting bolts to the housing.
I suppose the valve you're reffering to cuts off the pickup and only allows the water from the hose to go to the raw water pump.....
I doubt there is still a impellor in your drive if that's what you're asking.

mattyboy
02-10-2010, 07:54 AM
ummm guys there was never an impellor in a volvo on a 1970 classic. or any other AQ 2XX series drive

most H/M fords we fitted with a crank driven jabsco pump some did have a belt driven pump. some boats also had a bottom pickup in the hull. The volvo drive was just "the straw" so to speak so the pump could suck up water.Actually it is more of a gravity feed when the boat is in the water. the ones that had a bottom pick up didn't need the straw.

Volvo made a block off plate that would cap the water inlet in the transom housing ( where the goose neck was removed from). I don't remember the drive end being capped i think it wasn't so the water could flow thru the drive but it has been a while. I do remember on my 250 with the water pickups glassed up into the nose cone,2 small holes were drilled into the exhaust fin to let water pass.

on the boats that didn't have a bottom pickup , water was forced up the drive leg when fully submerged thru a small hose connected to the transom housing and then thru a SS goose neck then thru a hose to the pump.

on an old volvo a spring loaded flush valve can be placed anywhere in the hose going to the pump.

not sue on the merc setups and not really interested either ;)

with good water pressure a spring loaded flush valve, the water pressure will close the valve to the drive and force water to the pump . water should be able to pass although very slowly past the impellor and the t stat if it has small bypass holes. when mine was connected to the hose it would whistle a bit as the water went thru the pump.I didn't run a t stat. after the whistling stopped and a trickle came out of the pipes I would fire her up.
that setup worked for 40 years right from the factory

Donzi Vol
02-10-2010, 02:17 PM
george and matty,

You've answered my questions and then some. Thanks for the help! The pics of what I have are here...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58382&highlight=1970+18

-David

VetteLT193
02-10-2010, 02:21 PM
But a bulkhead fitting through the rearward part of the bell housing and a nozzle of some sort on the outside aimed at the outdrive cap would be neat.

A guy on one of the other boating forums swapped to transom pickup. he somehow got a hose fitting on the drive and routed it outside and on top to form a drive shower so the flow was in and up, then out, then back down. I thought it was pretty nice... I think he had to cut a hole in the drive to make it happen though. If I can remember who it was I'll try to find it. I read the thread some time ago...

gcarter
02-10-2010, 02:54 PM
george and matty,

You've answered my questions and then some. Thanks for the help! The pics of what I have are here...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58382&highlight=1970+18

-David

Well Duh!
A Volvo!:wink:
Who would have known?
Or, maybe I'm out to lunch!:nilly:

MOP
02-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Well Duh!
Who would have known?

I was wondering where that curve ball came from also:pimp:

joseph m. hahnl
02-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Well Duh!
Who would have known?

I think your just late for dinner:kingme:
I think originally we were talking about a 22 :yes:
Merc or OMC:confused:

Could someone answer a question for me regarding the hose connector on my 22C? I like to flush the engine after a salt water run and am not sure if I need to use the ear muff type on the outdrive or if just hooking a hose up to the connector is ok. I was thinking that if the impeller has no water passing over it, it could burn. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dave

The question was, if he could run the motor on just the flush port:bonk:

Next thing you know we were modifying the drive and water pick up:boggled:

I think after all these post the first answer was correct:popcorn:

Don't run the engine with the dedicated engine flush port. That will burn up the impeller. Gotta use the ear muffs.:wink:

MOP
02-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Still boils down to his pump is engine driven no drive pump, water can be introduced at any point before to the sea pump. Just needs a check valve between the connection and the drive, as long as he has that he is home free. I have no physical hook up or valves of any type on mine, I simply remove the cap to my sea strainer pull the basket and stick the hose in and run it. Kills two birds with one stone, flush and check the strainer and basket for debris.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-10-2010, 09:40 PM
A guy on one of the other boating forums swapped to transom pickup. he somehow got a hose fitting on the drive and routed it outside and on top to form a drive shower so the flow was in and up, then out, then back down. I thought it was pretty nice... I think he had to cut a hole in the drive to make it happen though. If I can remember who it was I'll try to find it. I read the thread some time ago...

You might have been thinking of what I did on my Eliminator. Here is a picture and the thread. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=445399&postcount=1