PDA

View Full Version : Another manufacturer changes hands....

gold-n-rod
02-03-2010, 02:24 PM
California firm buys Four Winns

CADILLAC -- A California-based private equity firm is the new owner of Four Winns boat building plant.

The company confirmed Tuesday that it's been acquired by Platinum Equity LLC. Platinum was the winning bidder for around $70 million of assets of Four Winns' former parent company, Genmar Holdings Inc. of Minneapolis, which filed for bankruptcy protection last June. Genmar purchased Four Winns in 2001 through the bankruptcy of Outboard Marine Corp.

"What this is going to do for us is give our dealers the confidence that we have one of the strongest financial backings in our industry," said Rick Fulmer, Four Winns vice president of sales and marketing.

Fulmer said the company has continued operations both through Genmar's bankruptcy proceedings and the country's overall economic slowdown that's been tough on the boating industry. He's hopeful the change in ownership will result in new job opportunities at the company, but he declined to discuss specifics or disclose the current number of employees at Four Winns. The company employed around 800 workers four years ago.

Platinum took ownership of the Wellcraft boat line that was also part of Genmar's holdings. Wellcraft moved its operations into the Four Winns plant in Cadillac last year, Fulmer said.

Platinum Equity is based in Beverly Hills, Calif., and is among the country's largest private equity firms.

It was founded in 1995 by billionaire Tom Gores and has completed nearly 100 acquisitions of companies with aggregate annual revenue of more than $27 billion. Gores is a native of Israel who was raised in Michigan and studied real estate finance at Michigan State University.

realbold
02-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Probably just a matter of time before they pull out of Michigan. Not good.

Ghost
02-03-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure at what price I would buy ANY boat company these days. I'm amazed there are buyers at all for these things. I wish them the best, and pray for us all.

silverghost
02-03-2010, 10:21 PM
The boat building industry should go to Congress for a "Bail-out" while Obama & Congress are giving train-loads of taxpayer money away !
Rather see the boating industry get the money than the Bank, Wallstreet, and AIG crooks!

zelatore
02-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Platinum actually bought quite a few of the Genmar brands, not just Wellcraft and Fourwinns. They've also made noise that they may not be done buying stuff yet. They've got really deep pockets.

As for what they'll do with the brands, I don't know. One thing I can tell you, it's unlikely they'll move from stuff to CA just because they're based here. But I wouldn't be surpirsed if they start combining some of their new companies.

silverghost
02-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Hope they don't move boat-building operations to Mexico or worse yet China !

zelatore
02-04-2010, 11:53 AM

I suspect this was largely tongue-in-cheek, but then I started thinking about it.

China is big on yacht building, just as Taiwan used to be. And there are actually some nice boats coming out there. There are also plenty of not so nice boats as well. A couple years ago one of my brands, Albin, started building a 40 and 45 in China. The price was good - the quality was junk. Albin proceeded to go under, although they had a number of other issues that contributed to their demise.

(their molds and name were later bought and I think some of the smaller boats are again in production in North Carolina?)

I don't know anybody building small trailer boats in China. I suppose it doesn't make economic sense between shipping raw supplies in and the finished product back. But then again, labor is cheap there, and boat building is mostly about manual labor, so...???

Mexico on the other hand might be more appealing. Again, labor costs would be the key, but the shipping wouldn't be nearly such an issue. Still, I don't know anybody building in Mexico.

So, while I took this as a joke at first it may have more validity than I initially thought.

Cuda
02-04-2010, 12:56 PM
China is feeling the recession too.

silverghost
02-04-2010, 02:18 PM
I was only half kidding here !
It is getting harder to build or make anything here in the USA.
Labor in only one issue~
EPA Environmental regultions are forcing many companys to move operations out of the USA too~
Or
Close up alltogether .

gold-n-rod
02-04-2010, 04:53 PM

We were discussing this very subject 4 years ago.....

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44184&highlight=china