PDA

View Full Version : Warning on larry smith team scarab 9 meter

nopostduece
01-31-2010, 01:56 PM
i won this boat on ebay and drove from dallas tx. to san rafael ca. to pick it up. after many phone conversions i was assured that the boat was stored in AZ. and keep dry over the years it was down for resto, it was also said it was currently in dry storage, and the trailer would make the trip altho the auction stated it was in bad shape. i was hesitant to paypal the deposet but again assured if there was a problem i would be refunded the money in full.

after a 24 hour drive i arrive at the boat to find out the seller lives about 350 miles away from the storage, its going to be a third party transaction and i wont be meeting the seller at all. i walk in the storage to find the boat on the trailer with a badly torn cover and the trailer tongue on the ground (bow down). just as the nightmare becomes real time play by play i get on the trailer fender look in and its FULL not alittle BUT FULL of water:shocking:. well over 1000 gal. i find the guy that run the storage tell him that im here to pick up this boat and the first thing out of his mouth is "OH YOUR HERE TO PAY ME MY BACK STORAGE":shocking: i start to look at the trailer and it has 6 inch holes rusted through it.

i go to a near by pub and call the seller make an offer for $3800 what i think its worth. we strike a deal including the storage so it can be removed. i get back and the gates are locked. i wait 5 hours before i start back to dallas. i call the seller the next day to inform him of the situation. he again tells me no prob ill get you your money back.

i have called him countless times from more then one number with no answer. i have waited to the last day before i had to open a dispute with paypal. i did some research to find out the guy is a used car dealer, uses more than one name, and has tried to sell this boat again with $11k buy it now on ebay!!!!!

maybe i will get a return call now!!!!

next stop offshore only!!!!

Trueser
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
call your bank / credit card company and cancel the charge or withdraw.

Then open a dispute with PAYPAL,

Conquistador_del_mar
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
i won this boat on ebay and drove from dallas tx. to san rafael ca. to pick it up. after many phone conversions i was assured that the boat was stored in AZ. and keep dry over the years it was down for resto, it was also said it was currently in dry storage, and the trailer would make the trip altho the auction stated it was in bad shape. i was hesitant to paypal the deposet but again assured if there was a problem i would be refunded the money in full.

after a 24 hour drive i arrive at the boat to find out the seller lives about 350 miles away from the storage, its going to be a third party transaction and i wont be meeting the seller at all. i walk in the storage to find the boat on the trailer with a badly torn cover and the trailer tongue on the ground (bow down). just as the nightmare becomes real time play by play i get on the trailer fender look in and its FULL not alittle BUT FULL of water:shocking:. well over 1000 gal. i find the guy that run the storage tell him that im here to pick up this boat and the first thing out of his mouth is "OH YOUR HERE TO PAY ME MY BACK STORAGE":shocking: i start to look at the trailer and it has 6 inch holes rusted through it.

i go to a near by pub and call the seller make an offer for $3800 what i think its worth. we strike a deal including the storage so it can be removed. i get back and the gates are locked. i wait 5 hours before i start back to dallas. i call the seller the next day to inform him of the situation. he again tells me no prob ill get you your money back.

i have called him countless times from more then one number with no answer. i have waited to the last day before i had to open a dispute with paypal. i did some research to find out the guy is a used car dealer, uses more than one name, and has tried to sell this boat again with $11k buy it now on ebay!!!!!

maybe i will get a return call now!!!!

next stop offshore only!!!!

I have to say that I am surprised to hear the negative things about Lars. Hopefully this will all be cleared up soon. Lars, I hope you are going to respond. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
02-01-2010, 10:12 PM
call your bank / credit card company and cancel the charge or withdraw.

Then open a dispute with PAYPAL,

When I have had any problems with a purchase (rare) that I did through Paypal using my credit card, I first filed a dispute with Paypal and after they did nothing in one case, I then did a chargeback through my credit card company. Paypal threatened to cancel me until I pointed out that they did nothing about my filed complaint - giving them the case number. facts, , etc. I point this out since they would have grounds to cancel your Paypal account if you did a chargeback first. Bill

scippy
02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I've read the seller's description of this boat and followed it through it's 2 public sales.The boat was never deemed to be perfect nor was the trailer,
but certainly surprised indeed (if it's true) that the boat was a pond and the trailer was twisted piece of junk. The truth is probabely somewhere in
the middle like higher expectations or lower standards. For the life of me, how can anybody buy without hand on.

LKSD
02-02-2010, 07:25 AM
From my posts on OSO:

:shocking: I thought something sounded fishy about that listing.. I read the listing & looked at the pics. My wife & I got a weird feeling about it too, but just couldn't put our finger on it..

After he said this in his listing.. (ebay #120522887555)
" The ONLY reason I'm selling this famous Larry Smith Team Scarab boat is that my wife and I have settled in Los Angeles area after my wife's serious back surgery and there is not likely that we will be able to boat together in a high performance boat of this caliber in the foreseeable future. My wish is that the future owner runs her in charitable Poker Run events etc."

What an azz hat that guy is...

Jamie

------

I hope you get your $$ back.. That whole ordeal was nutz & outta line..

My wife & I wont usually buy a larger ticket item without going to look at it first.. Too many liars & cheats.. I found it better to leave a small deposit to hold it & then go look.. It is better to loose a little than a lot..

Actually we almost had a similar experience this past fall.. My wife & I were looking for another hummer H2 & saw some listed. I called the guy who was selling it in the Hampton NY area. The pics looked really good, reasonable mileage, said he had records, said pics were current, blah, blah blah.. I had to go out there for biz anyway, so I said hold it & I will be out to look & buy if it was legit..

WELL..

I got there & it was in the woods, not the nice lot in the pics. It also was beat up, had ants in it, no records, smelled bad in it, the tires & service that he claimed were not done, it was missing lug nuts and the interior was trashed!..

I told him no thanks & then he said "what you aint gonna buy it because of a few ants?? "!!!!!

I told him rip someone else.. Then he asked me if maybe I would be interested in another H2 that he had on another lot for more $$... WTF, I said are you kidding me?? ! .. Some people you just cant deal with or trust..

Jamie

lars
02-02-2010, 05:05 PM
To make it easier for anybody that wants to learn from an unfortunate event like this, I paste the full original description of my ad on eBay as an intro;
To much happiness I found Jeff Brown's, ( of Hawthorne, CA), 1976 Team Scarab 9 Meter "Pure Insanity" P-38 (I). She was the overall Production Class race winner at the 1978 Bushmill G.P. in Newport Beach, CA and became Western region Production Class Champion. During the 1979 season Jeff Brown had Larry Smith build him an identical Team Scarab 9 Meter, but a light weight Kevlar 49 built "Pure Insanity" P-38 (II) and after racing the two boats managed to become The National Overall Production Class Champion of 1979. This 1976 "Pure Insanity" I, was used for the races when seas were unusually rough. Team Scarab's lay-up of this boat is unbelievably well made and is basically indestructible. Legendary offshore racer, multiple World and National Champion Al "Popeyes" Copeland leased this boat of mine, that is here for sale, from Jeff Brown for his first offshore powerboat races. Mr. Copeland got so impressed that he became a offshore racing fanatic and would go on the be a living legend in the sport and also racing among other boats a very successful Team Scarab 38.
My "Pure Insanity" (I) was later raced in the early and mid 1980's with great success by Don Noble ( of Costa Mesa, CA), then only with hull saying P-38 and was then set up with these current bullet-proof Kaama drives. She was among other things 1984 MBRA World Record Holder Pro IIIA before being sold to retired aviator LT. Craig Dugan of Fallon, Nevada. Mr. Dugan pulled the engines, awl-grip painted the hull, disassembled the dash, re-wired and restored dash and gages, powder-coated lots of hardware black, (including special motor-mounts), re-chromed many other hardware parts, re-built Kaama drives and had them re-packed. Had boat sitting with his planes in air-craft hangar during restoration and storage, (12 years). After a couple of years of illness he sold boat without re-powering it. It is now sold complete, velvet drive transmissions are included (need to be re-built), BUT WITHOUT ENGINES. The trailer goes with the boat, but is not registered or of any use or value due to severe rust issues. I pulled the boat on this trailer 120 miles a year ago to it's current storage in San Rafael, California, but buyer is recommended to use trailer only for re-load on a better trailer. The boat needs; new engines, all interior recommended re-done, transmissions total rebuild, rebuilt dash to be installed. Apart from these things, the boat is in structural and cosmetic fantastic condition as seen by photos. A secondary fuel tank for additional range comes with her and could be installed. Several Scarab logo trim pieces and a whole box full with magazines, articles and service receipts going back to Don Noble's ownership is included in this sale. The ONLY reason I'm selling this famous Larry Smith Team Scarab boat is that my wife and I have settled in Los Angeles area after my wife's serious back surgery and there is not likely that we will be able to boat together in a high performance boat of this caliber in the foreseeable future. My wish is that the future owner runs her in charitable Poker Run events etc.
Boat is to be PAID IN FULL WITHIN 7 DAYS of auction ending to complete the sale. ONLY money order or CERTIFIED U.S. or Canadian Bank check accepted as payment method. I have title for this boat free and clear. ONLY PAYPAL is accepted as payment method for the required $500 down payment and is due within 48 HOURS of auction ending. Buyer will have to pick up boat within a week of completion of sale.
P.S. 1976 Team Scarab by Larry Smith, P-38 "Pure Insanity" I, is the first famous racing Scarab made and is of great historical value to all true offshore racing fans. May the future owner enjoy her for many years to come. D.S.
The only differens to this description and the current one is that now the ad also states, "velvet drive transmissions are included, need to be re-built". Theres a reason for this and I'll get to that shortly.
The "buyer" nopostduce, (Spencer), contacted me after he won the boat an eBay for $5,800. (Two weeks earlier I had the boat up for sale first time around and it went up to $6,700 on a no sale and I turned down an approach after the auction from the high-bidder, since I felt that he didn't seem very serious about keeping the boat as a KAAMA or at least twin I/O, but liked to stick twin OB on a bracket). Due to the historical value of the boat and it's current good condition I felt it was the right thing to do. Got a short lecture by my wife and decided to put her up for auction again and hope for a caring buyer, even though I decided to lower the reserve. Also sent a PM to late Al Copeland's racing partner Stan Ware, who had wanted to be reconnected with this their first race-boat and use it for charity events, raising money for Al's skin-cancer research foundation, since I felt I was giving the boat away for a fraction of it's true value in the first place I might as well give it to him. Due to the upcoming holidays maybe? Stan didn't get back to me on the OSO forum unfortunately.
Back to "the buyer" Spencer's phone call. He called to tell me that even though he had won the boat he didn't like to pay the required posted downpayment of $500 since he couldn't pick up the boat right away. He also said that he had found another Scarab 30' KAAMA that was turnkey for $12,000 in Kansas. He also mentioned that he had talked to that fellow and had just realized that since my boat didn't even have transmissions it would cost him 2 x $3,500 to cover that and his budget to get a boat turn-key was not more than $12K-$15K, so he wasn't to excited about his auction won boat anymore. After I told him that my boat had Velvet transmissions included, but they needed to be totally re-built, I had only decided to mentioned that the KAAMA drives and that their drive shafts were rebuilt in the ad since that was something I thought was of the most concern and left out the minor selling point that the (rebuildable)transmissions were actually present/included too. Spencer then talked to me for an hour about transmissions, (he's a very knowledgeable, current transmission mechanic), and his plans to put two Corvette LS1 engines (that he said he could get for $800 a piece and easily rebuild in no time for next to nothing. After We compared notes on Our above, (mentioned in a different manner by Spencer in his post), experience in the automotive business I felt really good about this "buyer" of my dear boat. I told him that I would make sure that one of my really good boating Buddies, (who's been friends with the fellow who runs the storage yard for 35 years and has a 1975 Team Scarab 9 Meter himself), would meet Spencer when he'd get to the bay area on New Years Eve, (since my wife is still recovering from a bad back surgery) and make sure that he'd get the pallet with the transmissions, exhoust manifolds, carborators etc, etc..that also was included with the boat and the titles, a full box with service history, photos, old magazines where the boat is featured, all going back to the early 80's and help with loading everything if needed. Spencer after all this insisted that he still didn't feel comfortable giving me the $500 downpayment since he'd have to spend $400 in diesel on his truck, coming & going. I then couldn't help explaining that if he still didn't feel good about this, I wish he would have thought about it before he bid twice on my boat, but I rather let him pass on it now, than go there, still not pay me and go and buy the Scarab in Kansas or something else. Spencer then said; "I'll bring a friend, drive the 1,300 miles, if I like it, I'll then shop for a decent trailer which I know I can find for a thousand dollars and then complete the transaction with Your Buddie Steve". He then asked me to guarantee that I'll give him the $500 downpayment back if he didn't like the boat. I told him that I'd be happy to and then explained that it could be hard to find a trailer during New Years. He said that they had some time and would just get a cheap hotel room and hang out for a few days. I gave Spencer my friend Steve's number and they talked at length several times. In between Spencer would call me and talk about his plans for the boat and also about his knowledge regarding high performance diesel truck engines and used cars. I enjoyed the conversations and felt like this guy seemed very sincere about putting engines in the boat and get it running in, his words, "3-4 months and I'll be running her".
4 P.M. on Wednesday December the 30th I get a phone call from Spencer. He's an hour away from the boat and heading to the yard. It's raining and this is the beginning of the second rainstorm. There was a severe one a little more than a week before. My Buddie Steve and I had been trying to get the storage yard owner to call Us back the last couple of days since Steve's appointment with Spencer was around lunch time Dec. 31st, but he was all of a sudden not responding. Since Steve lives an hour and a half drive away from his Buddie that has the yard I called Spencer and suggest that since it was raining and getting dark by 5 P.M. it probably would be better if Steve met them at the yard in the morning on the 31st, since he knows how to open it up and also could go by his friend the yard-owner on the way. Spencer then says he just want to see if he can get a peek of the boat somehow. I tell him he could try and asked him to call me back. I called Steve and told him what was going on. At 6 P.M. I got a phone call back from Steve and he said that his Buddie the yard-owner had just called him and sounded intoxicated. He was complaining that some guys were trying to get into the yard in the dark, woke him and the dog up in the office, (though in the reverse order most likely). He had told them that they could forget about getting the boat out without Steve present and that he had also told the two fellows that the storage contract had to be signed off/closed and Januari payment paid. He finished by telling them that he was open for business under normal hours 8-5 tomorrow, New Years Eve, as a favor to Steve. While Steve and I were talking Spencer called and I took his call. He said that he had managed to get to the boat, while he his friend was keeping the yard-owner occupied talking and he said several boats were out from under the storage roof on their trailers and the Scarab was one of them. He described that he had found her with the storage cover half blown off, torn, trailer as mentioned on the tongue and the bow with several inches of water, "more than a hundred gallons of water"(Spencer's post "well over a 1,000 gal.") ??. Now I'm shocked! I last saw her 5 months earlier in great shape, when I started contemplating selling her, pulled her out, uncovered her, took the photos displayed in the ad and had her put back. I ask Spencer if he could document the whole thing with photos. He tells me he'll go back in the morning 'cause he thinks it's not that bad of a situation and that he'll take both photos and video even if he decides at that point to pass on her. I'm still fumeing long after We finish Our phone call and then slowly I calm down,but instead start wanting to throw-up. I love this boat!!! It was painful enough to decide to basically give her away and now this. My only thought is: I hope she's O.K.? I feel to weak to even call Steve for empathy.
Next morning Steve calls me instead and said that he had talked to Spencer already. Spencer had said that he'd got the yard-owner's help with getting the water out, it's not bad and that things look OK. It's still raining, but Spencer and his Buddie is checking all the parts out and evaluating the situation. I call Spencer and he said he got plenty of photos and that even though the trailer probably could make it to Texas he's going to go and take a look at a couple of trailers though, maybe he could "find a deal?" After talking to him I feel a little better but not much. I call the yard-owner. After listening to a story about construction at the yard and moving a few boats out of the way I still can't swallow what had happened. I ask him how he'd feel if I left his boat tongue down for a couple of weeks during a major rainstorm out on the lot. He said he didn't have much choice and also tried to make me feel better by saying that the immaculate, classic Cigarette 28SS that he knows I always admired also spent these last few weeks on the lot next to mine. I asked him why the cover is blown/torn and if the Cigarette is full of water too? He answers that it was extremely windy and that due to the construction on the lot he couldn't move anything back and that he's had his hands too full to make sure all stored boats were perfectly covered. While I'm trying not to loose it I ask him to kindly help Spencer. He answers that he doesn't appreciate the guy's pushy attitude, but will help me load the stuff for him. He confesses to me that he probably overreacted the evening before and when I hit him up about "the back storage", he says that he probably got the money for December, but wanted to make sure "this Texan understands that he can't keep the boat here for a week or something without paying or sign a contract". I tell him that I know for a fact that he cashed the rent for December and that I have never paid my rent late. I end it by reminding him that for $200/month I had hoped that my boat would be well protected. He appologizes and said that it was a lot of unfortunate circumstances that caused this to happen. I'm at that point still amazed that I kept semi calm and end the call.
At 2 P.M. Spencer calls me and says that they're on the way back to Texas, he continues, " I don't think I can find a trailer for less than $1,500 and then I'm into this close to $8,000. For a few thousand more I can get this KAAMA Scarab I mentioned that is turn key". I tell him I already know, "but do You realize Spencer that it's not a Larry Smith Team Scarab, rigged by John Conner and Larry Smith while they where trying to optimize the efficiency of the KAAMA drives. It's probably the boat they spent the most time in together according to Larry and they perfected it over a time-period of over a year?" I hear myself sounding like the used car salesman I am, but why am I trying to explain myself so hard? Is it because I really want this guy to have her? Spencer goes: "well i I didn't tell You that I knew it's a Wellcraft in Kansas, but it's all about the money". I hear myself reply, "are You telling me You still want my boat You bought?", Spencer, "well I give You $3,000!". I go, "You mean $3,000 plus the $500 You paid me down?", he goes, "no I give You $3,000, that's it". In disbelief I hear myself say, "You know what Spencer, give me $2,800 for a total of $3,300, but she's only Yours if You promise to do Your absolutely best to get her going this season coming and if You don't do it, You should call me back so I can get her in somebodies hands that will get her going. Bill on the Donzi.net forum is in Texas, he followed the eBay auction and he already told me he wants to buy her from You, if You decide to eventually sell her and he's a very solid guy". Spencer answers, "we're turning around, You got a deal, thank's for working with me, I'll call Steve and go and get the paperwork done, talk to You later". A few minutes goes buy during which I try to figure out why I totally just gave my boat away and then my phone rings, "it's Steve, I talked to Spencer and We're hooking up at around 4:30P.M. and get things squared away, why the hell did You give her away pal? I might go back more than 30 years with my Buddie, but You should have kept the boat and taken the inconsiderate bum to court for not storing Your boat right. I'm convinced she's O.K., but sh.t what could have happened if he'd kept her out there on the lot for another couple of weeks/months, while he's collecting Your money every month for nothing? Sue the b....rd, it's about time he wakes up, I don't ever wanna see him again, anyways it is what it is now! I call You when the nightmare is over", I quietly utter, "thanks Steve".
Sometime around 6 P.M. Steve calls, "the guy is flaking, they left for Reno, only God knows why, sorry Bud, but I think it's better this way, something weired about this whole thing". 8 P.M., "ay Bud it's Steve, this Spencer caracter called and said they left their toolbox at the boatyard and wanted me to see if I could arrange something, he said it's hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of tools. Why would unload a full toolbox? There's nothing to wrench on? He also said they already were in Reno? Go figure? Please call the guy and talk to him".
Three phone messages, three weeks later and several email attempts I out of the blue miss a call at 07:35 A.M. on a weekend morning with a voicemail message, Spencer says, "thanks I finally got Your phone messages, I lost my phone two times and had to get new ones, but if You could send my downpayment back like You mentioned in Your phone messages that would be great. You can reach me on my email which is ...@...com , paypal might be best even though it takes a while to clear into the account, contact me and We can decide". (Sorry it continues unfortunately, see post below....)

lars
02-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Well Spencer it's now a week and a half later. I can't get through to You on Your new the phone and Your email You asked me to contact You on is not correct. Most of Your facts in regards to this whole story are twisted and I think any member on this and the OSO forum who cares to read my original eBay ad can see that it's a lot that doesn't ad up in Your claimed facts; AZ storage, claimed to have a decent trailer, $3,800, waited 5 hours to be able to get into the storage yard, called ME back, I use more than one name, by RESEARCH You found out about me selling used cars, (what about our several hour long chats about selling used cars, performance diesel engines and You telling me about the multimillion dollar tax evading transmission-shop owners You've been working for and how disgusting You find them), do You recall any of these things Spencer? I could go on and and on and on, where did You get these so called stated facts from me from?... I even offered to put the $500 down payment cash straight into Your account so You could get the money instantly. Not a word back. My Buddie Steve really tried to figure out the story about Your tools 'cause he wanted to help You, what really took place? Did You ever bother calling him back either, or had You already lost the phone first time around at that point? Why would You not bother driving 2 1/2 hours for claimed $400 worth of personal tools left behind, but otherwise in general be pretty money-concious? I won't ask myself any more questions at this point. I'd like to finish this by asking You Spencer, why have You failed to complete several boat purchases on eBay before, (did You try to re-negotiate Your buying price?), and they said NO, why don't You inspect a boat before You bid to buy, will You please check Your paypal the next 5 days or so? Are You happy for me now, when the pin-type moisture meter and the fellow that used it assures me that the bulk head and everything else in the bow is definitely still O.K.?
I guess I owe You for letting me know what was going on with my boat during those rainy two weeks. I'm glad she's still mine and when she goes off eBay today I hope that nobody "bought her". This was the first and probably last time I tried selling something of real personal value on eBay. It's always been a pleasure buying things and that I will keep doing. I welcome You on this forum Spencer and I'll see You on the OSO forum too since You've just got started there too, maybe even donzi.net, but before You think about giving me an appology, please Spencer spend some time on these forums and see if: Brownie, Ritchie Powers, John Crouse, Charlie McCarthy, Jeff Camire, Al Stoker, Lee Spindler, Jim 'Buizilla" Haas and last but not least Larry Smith thinks I'm a stand up guy? If one of them says NO, I promise to rest my case. 'Till that day I'd like to continue my pleasure boating on the water and on-line 'cause I think I've earned it over the years.
Regards, Lars "The Swedish Viking" Lindroth. That's been my one and only
name. Please don't call call me anything else!
P.S. There will be a column in Performance Boat Magazine about this and similar situations by Kevin Spaise in a coming issue for all who like to read and learn from something like this. I won't mention names, but I already have been accused of not being married and IF? that my beloved wife has not even had a serious, very painful back injury with following operations and my constant attention. That the previous owner of this boat is a decorated U.S. Navy pilot who broke his neck for all Our safety has also been ridiculed and of coursed questioned. I could go on and on, but for You who also questioned how the boat was stored in an air-craft hangar for 12 years I include a few photos. My wife also agreed to photo so the ones who in my opinion also owe Us an appology remember her innocent face. Anybody like to see me, shoot me a PM and let's get together under friendlier circumstances. Boat is no longer for sale at any price, this was not about money, I have more than enough. Send me Your convincing game plan on how You plan to restore this classic boat in still very good condition and it is Yours for FREE. I estimate it to be worth a conservative $10,000 or more, but that will of course be questioned except by the person who I will give it to. Enough about this whole subject for me. D.S.

BUIZILLA
02-02-2010, 05:14 PM
i'm going to believe the Lars version... :yes:

zelatore
02-02-2010, 06:10 PM
If I had the time/money, I'd probably take you up on that offer Lars - she's only about an hour away from me!

Trueser
02-02-2010, 07:23 PM
i'm going to believe the Lars version... :yes:

Same here....

That boat is a deal @ $ 3300.00

Conquistador_del_mar
02-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Lars,
I am so glad to hear your side of the story. You had told me quite a bit of it over the phone a few weeks ago. In my book, you are a class act and a standup guy for what it is worth. Please don't hold a grudge against all Texans - we are not all built the same - lol. Bill

nopostduece
02-02-2010, 10:57 PM
The item was substantially not as described - full of water, parts uncovered in the weather, had not even been seen by the seller in how ever long ect,ect,ect,ect....

countless phone call were made, messages were left, we had prior correspondence through email. I guess it slipped your mind how paypal works, my email addy and phone # are listed there.

copy and past from your post above from the auction i won.......

"Boat is to be PAID IN FULL WITHIN 7 DAYS of auction ending to complete the sale. ONLY money order or CERTIFIED U.S. or Canadian Bank check accepted as payment method. I have title for this boat free and clear. ONLY PAYPAL is accepted as payment method for the required $500 down payment and is due within 48 HOURS of auction ending. Buyer will have to pick up boat within a week of completion of sale."

the auction was over on dec 24@10:00 pm my time. i was at the yard on dec30@4:30pm 1890 miles from my home on new years eve. i did as instructed in your auction to the T. its now feb 2@ 10:30 pm no money has hit may paypal.....

ITS APPARENT THIS IS WHAT IT TOOK TO RECOUP MY FUNDS!!!!

SURE I COULD HAVE LET PAYPAL HANDLE IT AND I WOULD HAVE. BUT I SAW YOU HAD RELISTED NOT ONCE - BUT TWICE! JUST TRYING TO SAVE THE NEXT POOR SOB FROM GOING THROUGH WHAT I DID.

SO SAVE FACE... IM SURE YOU HAVE FRIENDS IN THE POWER BOATING BUSINESS AND ON THESE BOARDS THAT HAVE YOUR BACK.

I HAVE PICS AND VID TOO AND BET ILL POST THEM...
WHILE IM BETTIN, ILL BET THE $500 (if i ever see it) THAT BI**H IS STILL FULL WATER TO THE CUSHIONS IN THE V BIRTH. I DONT BET UNLESS IM SURE. no drain holes in the bulkheads, or under any of the structures from the cockpit floor forward. not even one in the transom speedos there. you told me there was another owner between you and the "avatior". so how long has it been in the weather? looks like weeds grown up and around the trailer in the pics that surfaced on OSO. only place that got pumped out in my presents was the floor. unless its "rained a time or two" again. if so through some fish in it and start a hatchery, they will be happy with the amount of alge up there... oh thats right its been so dry it smells like the desert, i forgot!!!!

ILL BASH YOUR A** ON EVERY BOATING FORUM IN EXSISTENCE UNTIL I GET MY MONEY!!!

IM NOT SURE HOW YOU GOT YOUR "PLENTY" MONEY MR. BIG BALLIN VIKING!!! BUT I WORKED FOR MINE IN THE TEXAS HEAT!!! YOU MAY BE IN THE BUSINESS OF GIVING AWAY SALVAGED BOATS, BUT IM NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF GIVING AWAY MY HARD EARNED MONEY!!! $5 OR $5K I DONT GIVE HAND OUTS TO STAND UP CLOWENS LIKE YOU!!!

BUIZILLA
02-03-2010, 06:17 AM
ebay sale was as-is where-is right?

lars
02-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by PURPLE HORNET
TO larslindroth

"Sorry maybe I am just a A-hole but what does your wife's illness haft to do with anything here. Or anybody else's illness or the fact somebody passed away. I am sorry for any health issues you have or the death of anybody. Do you want to here about my wife's surgeries in the last year or about the last 3 funerals I went to in the last 4 weeks. I did not think so. But we are talking about a boat you are selling or " WAS SELLING AND NOW ITS FREE TO THE GUY WITH THE BEST BS STORY"

Somebody is a liar here and the questions I asked were a way for me to feel on both sides of the story. Being nether party would answer I feel both or full of BS.

Besides what I have read on your back post that boat gets no response from anybody after you told them what you have. Maybe the scrap pile is not worth anything only in your dreams. And if you did have craps loads of cash you would pay somebody to fix it and keep it in a decent place out of the rain.

Sentimental value is only priceless to one person and worthless to anybody else".

Dear fellow boaters.
I definitely would continue this thread on donzi.net & OSO, but this fellow, nopostduece (Spencer), is not really worth the effort anymore in my now humble opinion. He has decided to lie, fabricate stories, change past events etc. to whatever suits him at any given time.
Back to questions and comments made by some readers, which are more important at this point, but this is the epilogue.
The only reason I mentioned my wife's illness is because my friends asked me originally; why are You selling Your boat? I should have realized that potential buyers don't care or even want to hear why, but they almost always ask the question. I just shouldn't have volunteered the fact.
I bought her in August 2008 after I came back from Europe. The boat had actually been stored for 12 years in an air-craft hangar in Nevada. Since my friend Steve has the same Larry Smith 9 Meter model and he loves it, we decided to pick this unusual one up. All my other boats are now turn-key, so I thought it be fun to finish this easy project up since it was all there. We decided to take her to Steve's old friend who's got the yard mentioned. They hadn't socialized for a few years and I nowadays live in greater Los Angeles area, so this would be a good way to get together more often. Well my wife had her bad back injury a month later, Steve started having heart issues.
My wife has had to start learning how to walk and she's not comfortable with other people assisting her, so We do this together. The boat in the meantime was put away in Steve's "OLD FRIEND'S" place. I made sure she was tucked away right. Saw the boat, 6 months later, in spring of 2009. Decided I'll keep her, everything was still fine. Kept sending the $200 every month, which is very reasonable out here. In August 2009 my wife was still in really bad shape and with little prospect to do much better for quite some time I finally decided to put the boat up for sale. Jumped on a plane to San Francisco for the day, had the boat pulled out, took the photos for the ad and put her back again.
After coming home I got second thoughts about selling her and put it off since my wife insisted that I should stick to my boats and all the friends around it. She said, "by the time I eventually get better You have something to fall back on and We could maybe even get something a little more comfortable then so I can come along?", got to love her! Well my friend Steve started having more health issues and this boat was all about us eventually having some quality time together, so in December I just stuck it on eBay. Never dreaming that there was something not right up there in San Rafael. That the yard-owner had started moving several boats and other equipment around some time in Nov./Dec. without telling Us effected is maybe not that strange, but the way he left boats etc. laying around unprotected is a little hard to swallow. I feel sorry for him in a way, he was well respected and I liked him originally, but his old friend Steve has no pity for him at this point and has decided to never speak or see the guy again. Sure paid him for rent all these months and he almost managed to get the January rent too, since it was mailed early, because in the "sale of the boat ad" I mentioned that continued "storage" could most likely be arranged. No rent has therefor been paid for January and won't be 'till I get up there in a week time to see what really took place. Spencer (nopostdeuce) promised me he was going to take plenty of photos of the water in the cabin as a thank You to me for letting him have her for $3,300 instead of the original auction price, while he was there giving me the bad news on the phone those two days. Even though he decided that he was happy at that point I wanted the photos since I liked to have evidence that the yard-owner had costed me $2500 of the now re-negotiated auction selling price. What a nightmare for all involved! He never made good on that promise either. He took off and called my friend Steve three hours later and asked if Steve could arrange to retrieve his tools he left behind. Steve had a 1 1/2 hour drive each way to handle that. No tools were found left behind. I also personally think Spencer could have driven the 3 hours to pick up a claimed $400 worth of personal tools, but it must be something about that story none of Us will ever figure out either, only Spencer knows the truth. He was then incommunicado for almost a month. I left at least 3 phone messages for him and one for his girlfriend back home in Texas, nothing back. Then a month later he left me one phone message at about 7:30 AM on a Sunday in which he said he'd lost two of his phones! Why couldn't he check his messages? He still didn't leave his new phone number, but just a no good email address in his message. I sent him a message on eBay that should have reached his email for sure where I offered to either stick the $500 straight into a possible account off his if he could let me know with whom he banks, so he'd have the money faster than through pay-pal. I wish in hindsight that I at that point just not would have bothered to be extra helpful, but instead just pressed the paypal button and get it done. Somehow I thought he'd call me back? A week went by and then I was informed that somebody was hammering me all over the Internet. All of a sudden he's available everywhere, but not on the phone or by PM. My friends are now trying to tell me not to pay him the $500 I still wanted to hand back.
Still not convinced the boat is O.K., even after I arranged for a marine surveyor to sneak on the lot on a Sunday and use his moisture meter and vast experience to evaluate it. He was convinced it's solid and nothing to worry about, but I'm not sure of too many things around this any more. It is was it is. You're right about sentimental value though, it has some for me, but not much or to the extent that it clouds my judgment of what it was worth before this incident sometime at the end of 2009. I own and have owned enough boats to have a decent idea, but it's not relevant any more in this case. The boat has historical value, but who truly cares about that either these days, except old school freaks like myself. Put both sentimental and historical value aside and she's just a liability and not an asset at this point in time for me. The two sets of perfect props, cost 4 x $1,200 and the two large, brand new in boxes, classic Richie compasses a' $725 each are still usable for sure, but not of much good on this specific boat if she's now just a potential fish hatchery that Spencer was willing to pay $3,200 for after thoroughly checking things out those two days on-site.

Regards, Lars.

P.S. I continuously do upgrade, pamper and lovingly care for my boats and as You can see, most of them are not very large or pretentious $$$ either. D.S.

realbold
02-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Theres 2 sides to every story, but coming from a guy that forgets his tools and loses his phone 2x in a week? Something is missing :bonk:
If I had the time and money I'd love to have that boat.

gold-n-rod
02-03-2010, 02:21 PM
This thread needs more paragraph breaks and less drama.

nopostduece
02-03-2010, 02:26 PM
to clear up me leaving my tools behind. witch gets the fire burnin! i have been in the auto repair industry for 15 years. maybe you get out your whole $400 tool box to do some wrenching. i left more like a grad+ sitting there on the ground.... industry standard tools not crapsman! thank god my bore scope, breaker bar and 4rails of sockets would not fit in the bag. im sure a few of you understand bring tools on a 3800 mile road trip 1/2 of witch towing 5tons on a trailer stated to have "issues" but told on the phone "i think its fine". i had been between this yard and the hotel 35miles out of the bay area (nothing but b&bs close by) the pub ect,ect in a 24 hour time frame! i was in reno its was dark and i was not going back!!! at that point i sacrificed my tools to get the h*ll out of CA.

i did misplace my phone, but this is no excuse he had many was to contact me and more than on phone#

AS IS WHERE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more like not as described where is.........

Trueser
02-03-2010, 04:38 PM
This thread should be killed/locked.

mrfixxall
02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Are you sure you left a grand worth of tools laying somewhere or did someone steal them out of your truck..I know what you mean about having thousand's of dollars worth of snap on tools, hell just in my top drawer of my tool box theirs 6k+ worth of sockets but i know better not to leave them laying somewhere not to be found, ask me how i know this,i did it once in Florida while picking up a big azz boat and guess what i turned around with this big azz boat weighing 10,000 + pounds and got my tool box back..From what ive seen of lars on here he seems to be a stand up guy,rite now he is messing with you but im sure you will get your money back and this will all go away..

FIXX..

zelatore
02-03-2010, 08:20 PM
to clear up me leaving my tools behind. witch gets the fire burnin! i have been in the auto repair industry for 15 years. maybe you get out your whole $400 tool box to do some wrenching. i left more like a grad+ sitting there on the ground.... industry standard tools not crapsman! thank god my bore scope, breaker bar and 4rails of sockets would not fit in the bag. im sure a few of you understand bring tools on a 3800 mile road trip 1/2 of witch towing 5tons on a trailer stated to have "issues" but told on the phone "i think its fine". i had been between this yard and the hotel 35miles out of the bay area (nothing but b&bs close by) the pub ect,ect in a 24 hour time frame! i was in reno its was dark and i was not going back!!! at that point i sacrificed my tools to get the h*ll out of CA.

i did misplace my phone, but this is no excuse he had many was to contact me and more than on phone#

AS IS WHERE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more like not as described where is.........

You know, it's only a small point in this whole thing, but I find it somewhat interesting that the guy we're supposed to take at his word also claims there were no hotels within 35 miles of San Rafael, California, only B&Bs.

Per Hotels.com:
370 hotels match your selection...

I guess they were all booked.:bonk:

nopostduece
02-07-2010, 03:36 PM
just one of the short vids i have of this mess.....

http://www.viddler.com/explore/nopostduece/videos/1/

mrfixxall
02-07-2010, 04:11 PM
To be perfectly honest with you and i feel im speaking for everybody!! we dont give a rat's ass!!!!! it is what is is as is where it is.................Fukin Drama

Lock this trend..

over and out:wink:

Hey you missed a webbsite,,try donzi.org and see how they treat you their..

Just Say N20
02-09-2010, 10:28 AM
This guy sounds like Sofa King.

Or maybe a relative.

It would be a lot of lost work (typing) for Lars if this thread went "poof," but then again it would get rid of all the nonsense.

May I suggest a POOF!

realbold
02-09-2010, 03:57 PM
This guy sounds like Sofa King.
Or maybe a relative.
LOL!!! f-in sofa king :biggrin:

DC18
02-16-2010, 02:18 AM
Are you sure you left a grand worth of tools laying somewhere or did someone steal them out of your truck..I know what you mean about having thousand's of dollars worth of snap on tools, hell just in my top drawer of my tool box theirs 6k+ worth of sockets but i know better not to leave them laying somewhere not to be found, ask me how i know this,i did it once in Florida while picking up a big azz boat and guess what i turned around with this big azz boat weighing 10,000 + pounds and got my tool box back..From what ive seen of lars on here he seems to be a stand up guy,rite now he is messing with you but im sure you will get your money back and this will all go away..

FIXX..
DITTO:nilly: Who in their right mind :confused: would leave a grand or so in tools behind, when they claim they have to work their :cussball: off for them. I too have MEGA $$$ invested in tools, but have never left any behind, :bonk:. I think I don't want any of what this guy is smokin :party:.

mrfixxall
03-29-2010, 11:56 AM
nopostduce!!

I heard a rumor you bought another scarab from fox lake Illinois..Well guess what? Donny is a really good friend on mine, he mentioned you nitpicked his boat too and he pretty much gave it to you.I also heard that you mentioned that you left your tool bag in the Larry smith scarab..

just stirring the pot :)

z33donzi
06-15-2010, 09:52 AM
you know in the old days not to long ago a good ole fashion "BITCH SLAPP" would go nice in here some where !!!!! i had some thing real close to this happen to me with an ole 72 monte carlo i bought up north after i drive for 8 hrs only to find out i was mislead in so many ways i did do just that i looked at the guy then pointed up in the air and when he looked up and i bitch slapped so hard my hand hurt about 10 minutes he looked at me with wide open eyes and says is there a problem here lol-- lol lol lol --ill never for got that still makes me smile when i think about it now wouldnt do it again ?????? no iam sure ?????? yup pretty sure ??/ no not again lol

mrfixxall
06-16-2010, 09:27 AM
you know in the old days not to long ago a good ole fashion "BITCH SLAPP" would go nice in here some where !!!!! i had some thing real close to this happen to me with an ole 72 monte carlo i bought up north after i drive for 8 hrs only to find out i was mislead in so many ways i did do just that i looked at the guy then pointed up in the air and when he looked up and i bitch slapped so hard my hand hurt about 10 minutes he looked at me with wide open eyes and says is there a problem here lol-- lol lol lol --ill never for got that still makes me smile when i think about it now wouldnt do it again ?????? no iam sure ?????? yup pretty sure ??/ no not again lol

well you could have saved the bitch slap and looked at this one :)