PDA

View Full Version : Tachometer preference

Conquistador_del_mar
01-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Just curious what gradation tachs you guys would prefer if you were planning to run in the mid 5000RPM range - 6K or 8K tachs and why? Bill

VetteLT193
01-29-2010, 12:07 PM
I like gauges as tight as they can be. so if you aren't going to run over 6k, run the 6k gauge. That gives you better visual accuracy because the numbers are farther apart.

mrfixxall
01-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Just curious what gradation tachs you guys would prefer if you were planning to run in the mid 5000RPM range - 6K or 8K tachs and why? Bill

BBC 6k tach sbc 8k tach cuz i can wing mine past 6k..I use to be a big gaffrig fan but the last few years i have been having problems with fogging plus mike has raises the prices on me so i am going to start using Autometer marine because i get a better racer's net price and their only 1/2 hour away from me and i can pick them up!

let me know if you need any bill..

fixx

MOP
01-29-2010, 02:52 PM
For average normal setups 6K would suite all, but for the WINGERS go up a bit:nilly:

Dr. David Fleming
01-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Unless your analog tach and speedometer are certified and calibrated as legally accurate, such as in police work, most are off by about 3-4%. This gives us the usual 3-4 mph over read on a 100 mph speedo and more like 6 mph on a 80 mph speedo. You can check speedo against GPS as and example.

Tachs are similar, harder to read with more graduations but errors are deminished with a higher reading scale.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-30-2010, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have always gone with the 6K tachs for the reasons given, but I thought it might make a difference in readings when they get near the end of their travel is the reason I asked. I was about to order a complete set of gauges for my twin engine Cigarette until I found out that the sending units might not be compatable - now for some more research. I found out that old Gaffrig gauges use different sending units than the new ones - different manufacturers is what I was told. :nilly: Bill

mrfixxall
01-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have always gone with the 6K tachs for the reasons given, but I thought it might make a difference in readings when they get near the end of their travel is the reason I asked. I was about to order a complete set of gauges for my twin engine Cigarette until I found out that the sending units might not be compatable - now for some more research. I found out that old Gaffrig gauges use different sending units than the new ones - different manufacturers is what I was told. :nilly: Bill

some more to read up on :)

rtgogo
01-30-2010, 10:19 AM

Bill,
How old are your Gaffrig gauges? Interesting point on the sending unit difference on the new one's. I didn't relaize that and you may have just saved me from buying a set that won't work! Any idea on the cutoff for new vs old? I'd be interested to know what you find, I'll do the same. Thanks....

Conquistador_del_mar
01-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Bill,
How old are your Gaffrig gauges? Interesting point on the sending unit difference on the new one's. I didn't relaize that and you may have just saved me from buying a set that won't work! Any idea on the cutoff for new vs old? I'd be interested to know what you find, I'll do the same. Thanks....

Bob at Dana Marine told me just yesterday afternoon about the history of Gaffrig not really making the older gauges and some controversy between companies including Lavorsi. I believe the cutoff was about 7 years ago, but he is supposed to let me know more. I am not sure how old mine are, but I did find 1992 printed on the tachs so I figure they might all be from that era. In my case, I also discovered that about half of mine have smaller black cases with the other half being longer white cases so I really don't know what I have. I know that all of mine work, but they are in rough condition is why I am wanting to change them out. I want to avoid having to buy and install all new sending units if I can get around that problem. Bill

BUIZILLA
01-30-2010, 10:56 AM
i've yet to understand the fascination with Lavorsi or Gaffrig gauges, IMO they both suck..

Conquistador_del_mar
01-30-2010, 11:04 AM
i've yet to understand the fascination with Lavorsi or Gaffrig gauges, IMO they both suck..

What is your experience with Autometer? What manufacturers do you think make the best? I should add all the Gaffrig gauges still work fine in my boat - they are just in pitiful condition appearance-wise.

Ed Donnelly
01-30-2010, 12:16 PM
VDO still make a great gauge and plenty of styles
View Line
Ocean Link
Ocean Line

www.vdo.com/ .............Ed

maddad
01-30-2010, 12:25 PM
I've never heard of a sending unit for a tach. I thought they got their signal from the coil, except for msd style ignitions which use a signal wire from the box.
I used the HD StewartWarner gauges(6ooorpm) and even though they get very little care from me and spend most of their time outdoors they still work perfect and look good after 6years.

Ghost
01-30-2010, 12:43 PM

I don't know squat about them. Curious whose you like?

Conquistador_del_mar
01-30-2010, 01:02 PM
VDO still make a great gauge and plenty of styles
View Line
Ocean Link
Ocean Line

www.vdo.com/ (http://www.vdo.com/) .............Ed

Thanks, Ed. I have never had problems with the VDOs in my Eliminator. I am hoping to find white face gauges for the Cigarette. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
I've never heard of a sending unit for a tach. I thought they got their signal from the coil, except for msd style ignitions which use a signal wire from the box.
I used the HD StewartWarner gauges(6ooorpm) and even though they get very little care from me and spend most of their time outdoors they still work perfect and look good after 6years.

I was actually referring to the sending units for gauges like the oil temp, water temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure, and fuel level. I also installed SW gauges in my 1971 18' Donzi since they fit the look that I wanted. I don't believe SW makes white face gauges in a classic look? Bill

handfulz28
01-31-2010, 11:16 AM
You won't find them listed easily, but VDO makes (or at least used to make) nice, simple white faced gauges. Formula uses/used them on their PCs and perhaps other models. The tachs have a digital hour meter. Imagine the ones pictured, but white faces.

HIGH LIFE
02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Bill, I've got a pair of Big Block mechanical tach distributors, if you can find the drive cables long enough !! "HIGH LIFE"

The Hedgehog
02-02-2010, 07:06 AM

It is the look. I agree that they both suck. I was on a Skater with Autometers. They were all over the place too when compared to ECU readings.

VetteLT193
02-02-2010, 07:36 AM
It is the look. I agree that they both suck. I was on a Skater with Autometers. They were all over the place too when compared to ECU readings.

Autometer makes Livorsi so one would assume the quality is the same.

I agree that they suck. I have been boating my whole life and had minimal gauge problems until I got Gaffrig and Livorsi gauges. The old VDO's last forever with minimal problems.