PDA

View Full Version : Stolen OMC Outdrive.

tony2times
01-29-2010, 10:55 AM
See Post in Engine Thread. Someone stole right side outdrive from a Z33 Crossbow. Left their tools here. Any info please call 502-966-9191. Louisville KY area, the outdrives were painted a flat grey black and did not have a prop.

Walt. H.
01-29-2010, 11:05 AM
That just Sucks, Tony and i'm sorry to read your post!

Parts for a late model King Cobra strn/drive 90 thru 95 bring a premium price today especially a complete unit.

mrfixxall
01-29-2010, 11:10 AM
See Post in Engine Thread. Someone stole right side outdrive from a Z33 Crossbow. Left their tools here. Any info please call 502-966-9191. Louisville KY area, the outdrives were painted a flat grey black and did not have a prop.

That sucks tony, keep a eye on ebay and craigs list..

Walt. H.
01-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Tony,
Did you exchange any money with the owner yet, and if so was it still on his property?

VetteLT193
01-29-2010, 12:02 PM
watch craigslist in the area. I already found this one...

http://louisville.craigslist.org/boa/1562260715.html

tony2times
01-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Thank you so much, sounds like that thing will work. It came off a single engine cabin cruiser. Will it work for the z-33

BUIZILLA
01-29-2010, 12:38 PM
that's only 30 miles south of Louisville...

tony2times
01-29-2010, 12:49 PM
yeah he is extremely close. Said came off of a boat that caught fire. Had chevy engine will it work for the donzi? How much to change

VetteLT193
01-29-2010, 01:24 PM
I intentionally searched Louisville craigslist to find your drive.

If that drive isn't yours it should work, just make sure it is a matching drive. They made King Cobra drives and regular Cobra drives.

And by the way, the people that took your first drive might have left their tools because they were coming back for the other one....

mrfixxall
01-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Tony if i were you i would set up camp in the boat ans wait for them to come back,remove port riser and stick your shotgun through the transm tip and wait it out :) i would be at the guys house already looking at that outdrive,seems close and for 500 bucks its a steal or it may be your stolen one,,,,,,,,,,

FISHIN SUCKS
01-29-2010, 04:25 PM
for $500 bucks i wouldn't get insurance involved. But Just in case that drive won't work, use your insurance to cover it.

Walt. H.
01-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Tony,
Did you exchange any money with the owner yet, and if so was it still on his property?
tone,
Where was it stolen from??????

tony2times
01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
autosmart car lot 6626 Preston Hwy Louisville KY

tony2times
01-29-2010, 04:39 PM
the donzi has twin 460s on it with the omc outdrives. the outdrive that is on craigslist is a cobra but was mated to a 350 chev engine. Will that one work?

Walt. H.
01-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Most likely its a regular Cobra not a King C, so no it won't work and being that it is a 1989 model even if it was a K.cobra it wouldn't work because they changed in 1990.

I didn't mean the address of the theft location, just if it was on your property or not and did money change hands yet.

tony2times
01-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Nope no cash exchanged yet doing that tomm. Wasnt on my property yet. Well that sucks the one that vette found wont work.

tony2times
01-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Guess that boat just got cheaper.

Walt. H.
01-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Ah Yeah! Thats what I was trying to determine, cause now its not your problem or loss.
But finding another drive if the thief can't be trailed might prove to be a big pain in the butt i'm sorry to say...
Keep us informed with what happens and hopefully we'll all say a little prayer for your success...:crossfing:

mrfixxall
01-29-2010, 06:44 PM
With the boat having 460 ford motors the drive ratio is probably going to be a 1.36 drive.to give you a idea what they go for used and mabe he will lower the price..

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/1563672795.html

http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/1534197615.html

Walt. H.
01-29-2010, 08:59 PM
http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/1534197615.html
The one list in Providence states that its a 1990 model but its not, it is a 89'
and earlier model King Cobra non hump back pre-cone clutch unit.
This one pictured below is my 93' cone clutch model which was made between 90' thru 95' and notice the different shape of the back cover on the 89' from Providence which is flat at the top while the later model (mine) has sides/boxed shaped at the top.

Walt. H.
01-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Tony,

Post a pic of the existing drive thats on the boat so we can determine exactly what model year the boat has.

Dr. David Fleming
01-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Tony,
My guess that any drive that unusual was stolen to replace a bad one. By the way, does anyone have an opinion on the security bolts designed to prevent such theft?

Carl C
01-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Tony,
My guess that any drive that unusual was stolen to replace a bad one. By the way, does anyone have an opinion on the security bolts designed to prevent such theft?

They'd be on my boat if it stayed outside. BTW, that drive is probably on a boat not too far away. I'd be looking around if there is a way to identify it.

Walt. H.
01-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Tony,
There's no room for those Mc'Gard security lug nuts to fit on a OMC K.Cobra drive, but they will work great on a Mercruiser drive to slow down or discourage a thief to go else where, or if he really wants your strn drive he'll just take your entire boat.
Sometimes its better to lose a little then your whole shabang!

As Carl said its probably close by, but its good as gone as yesterdays fallen snowflake.

Carl C
01-31-2010, 12:22 PM
There's no room for those Mc'Gard security lug nuts to fit on a OMC K.Cobra drive, but they will work great on a Mercruiser drive to slow down or discourage a thief to go else where, or if he really wants your strn drive he'll just take your entire boat.
Sometimes its better to lose a little then your whole shabang!

As Carl said its probably close by, but its good as gone as yesterdays fallen snowflake.

I've got a heavy duty trailer tongue lock on my boat just in case someone tries to steal the boat from the garage. Now I need to get one of those gps locks.

Walt. H.
01-31-2010, 12:48 PM
I've got a heavy duty trailer tongue lock on my boat just in case someone tries to steal the boat from the garage. Now I need to get one of those gps locks.
Sorry to say,
Locks only keep the honest honest, if they really want it, its history...whether being dragged onto a flatbed trailer or truck while laughing at any type tongue lock or cable to just waiting for the right opportunity and taking it by force as you're just getting ready to leave with it, as in CarJacking. :frown:

Dr. David Fleming
01-31-2010, 01:19 PM
That reminds me, the local northern Michigan Marina had an off shore trailer only stolen during the summer. Trailer showed up at an abandon railroad grade minus the entire axle assemblys - seems someone had not kept the grease dry and promoted an entire drive train. They used an oxy/acetylene torch to just cut the parts they wanted. Marina was not real happy about this and neither was the owner.

Seems if you had enough skill to steal the trailer and use the torch to cut it up you could have fixed the axles and saved the trouble of being a crook. Then of course it could be a mechanic on a midnight parts requisition.

Dr. David Fleming
01-31-2010, 01:23 PM
I almost forgot, if you are young and in good health traveling to a third world country - need to be careful about where you go. Kidnapped and drugged visitors sometimes wake up minus kidneys, liver etc. $30,000 is not a lot of expensive if you need a kidney. The new age of pirates! Pirates Ahar!

Walt. H.
01-31-2010, 01:34 PM
There's a market for everything, from stolen art to zoology including stealing live human organs. That hotel hooker might just want more then your wallet? :nilly:

mrfixxall
01-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Thay's why i pay for insurance :) If they really want it badly they will take it..carl the tongue locks? a few hits with a 5 lb sledge hammer and their off..ask me how i know this,,lets say i repoed a few boats :yes:

Tony where are the pic's? does the boat still exist?

Carl C
01-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Thay's why i pay for insurance :) If they really want it badly they will take it..carl the tongue locks? a few hits with a 5 lb sledge hammer and their off..ask me how i know this,,lets say i repoed a few boats :yes:

I kind of figured that but it is just an added precaution on top of being inside a locked garage and insured.

mrfixxall
01-31-2010, 05:11 PM
I kind of figured that but it is just an added precaution on top of being inside a locked garage and insured.

My remedy is to take all the tires off the trailer :)

Walt. H.
01-31-2010, 05:44 PM
My remedy is to take all the tires off the trailer :)
Followed with a sign posted outside stating that there isn't anything inside this garage worth dying for, cause if you're found here tonight they'll find you here in the morning! :rlol:

mrfixxall
02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Followed with a sign posted outside stating that there isn't anything inside this garage worth dying for, cause if you're found here tonight they'll find you here in the morning! :rlol:

Exactly!! :)

silverghost
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
An old coot I once knew, Howard Haines now long gone, owned a boatyard in Somers Point NJ. (now a big condo development)
He would go to Florida each winter~
He would put small signs on all yard & house doors.
WARNING THIEF:
SHOTGUN WIRED TO DOOR !
Quite an alarm system !
I never heard of anyone ever breaking-in his place in 30 years !
Knowing Howard ~ I suspect there really WERE shotguns wired to the doors !
Howard died almost pennyless on his home-built houseboat.
His brother Stanley was a multi-millionaire who co-owned Egg Harbor Yacht & Pacemaker/Allglas with the Leek family & other investors in the late 60s-70s.
I knew both brothers~
They never spoke to each other for 50 years until the very end !

Walt. H.
02-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately wiring a booby trap weapon to your door like that will put you in prison for premeditated murder, but i'll be the first one to entertain that idea anyway.:cool:

CHACHI
02-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Don't worry Carl, with the trailer in the garage, the theives can beat the lock off INSIDE the garage away from any eyes on the street.

Ken

Carl C
02-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Don't worry Carl, with the trailer in the garage, the theives can beat the lock off INSIDE the garage away from any eyes on the street.

Ken

Ah, but I have not disclosed all of my security measures............

silverghost
02-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Outdrive theft is now a real problem in South Jersey & I suspect all over the country; especially in seasonal boating areas.
Some OMC drive parts are made from "Unobtainium" these days !
You cannot buy them for ANY price !