PDA

View Full Version : Hedges MotorYacht gets new power.

The Hedgehog
01-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah, it is one heck of a refit to get a set of 1271's in a Marinette. First you have to redo the engine room so you can walk in and change those 10 gallons of oil per side.

rtgogo
01-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Looks like those motors would allow for another bar and more room to relax.....

gcarter
01-27-2010, 08:01 PM
How big is that Marinette?

That's an interesting project!
How did they get them in?

BUIZILLA
01-27-2010, 08:02 PM
How big is that Marinette?

That's an interesting project!
How did they get them in?by stretching the hull 25'

:eek:

gcarter
01-27-2010, 08:14 PM
by stretching the hull 25'

lol!:)

rtgogo
01-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Next thang ya know he'll add a tender or pile a seadoo on the deck for backup.

mrfixxall

MORE!!!! I got your back hedge:kingme:

gero1
25'??? naw jus buy big to begin with! welcome aboard rear admiral of the tbn. look forward to serving under your command this summer

The Hedgehog
01-27-2010, 09:03 PM
MORE!!!! I got your back hedge:kingme:

Something like that!:wink: It is a fun story.

25' Hmm, that would be the bridge clearance with the mast up!

The Hedgehog
01-27-2010, 09:08 PM

Yeah, if you do that....well you may as well have a hall between your engine rooms so you can get to the master stateroom. Speaking of master stateroom. Well it should have a king size bed. Yes, I know that there is a little updating to do. Hedge likes to go bassackwards. Go for size and then update a few things at a time.

The Hedgehog
01-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Looks like those motors would allow for another bar and more room to relax.....

Yes, and a wine fridge to boot. Better yet, have a boat with 4 fridges.

Donzi Vol
01-27-2010, 09:49 PM
:) :yes:

Phil S
01-27-2010, 11:59 PM
"Go for size"

Now there's a classic p-star line......mind if I borrow that one ?

:)

WKR,

Phil S.

MOP
01-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Bill that looks like a 53 Hatt good boat! I have sold a few of the big Hatt's, one I had the pleasure of selling was Roger Penske's 53 to a really nice guy who was a big wig in the NY/NJ bridge tunnel authority. Penske's engines had everything polished or chromed like a hot rod IE a ton of bling.

The Hedgehog
01-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Bill that looks like a 53 Hatt good boat! I have sold a few of the big Hatt's, one I had the pleasure of selling was Roger Penske's 53 to a really nice guy who was a big wig in the NY/NJ bridge tunnel authority. Penske's engines had everything polished or chromed like a hot rod IE a ton of bling.

I like the 53' Hatt. I came very close to buying a 58 Yachtfish. I probably missed that one by 1/2 day. Can't go wrong with the ole Hargrave design. This is designed by a man named Derecktor. The lines are ageless. Note the bridge with the Jenn Air grill, fridge and wet bar. That will be where Hedge hangs out mostly Also note the 13 foot whaler in the back as a tender. I guess that Tex is getting a nice 11 foot whaler. One more hint, it has a Portuguese bridge.

VetteLT193
01-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Looks like a Big Azz Chris Craft to me. When Chris Craft was still making quality stuff. like mid 70's. in the high 50's to low 60's in footage.

The Hedgehog
01-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Looks like a Big Azz Chris Craft to me. When Chris Craft was still making quality stuff. like mid 70's. in the high 50's to low 60's in footage.

Do you mean like a 1974 60' Roamer? We have a winner. Actually Buizilla called me out on it before I even posted any pics.

VetteLT193
01-28-2010, 08:45 AM
yes!! That's the ticket. Had a neighbor that had one, although it might have been a different year or footage.

The main thing that sucked was docking the thing. you cant see the ass end of the boat. They always wanted to pull along side a dock instead of a slip. With today's technology I'd put in a security camera system or something so you can see the back and sides on a screen when you dock it.

Other than that it was a classic yacht club esque beast of a boat. Room for a party and more. :wink:

The Hedgehog
01-28-2010, 09:00 AM
yes!! That's the ticket. Had a neighbor that had one, although it might have been a different year or footage.
The main thing that sucked was docking the thing. you cant see the ass end of the boat. They always wanted to pull along side a dock instead of a slip. With today's technology I'd put in a security camera system or something so you can see the back and sides on a screen when you dock it.
Other than that it was a classic yacht club esque beast of a boat. Room for a party and more. :wink:

It is not too bad from the bridge. Yes. it does have a backup cam. It is getting a bunch of other goodies like engine room cams.

Maybe I should install stateroom cams?:eek:

gcarter
01-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Roamers!
Weren't they all welded aluminum?
If so, I get the Marinette analogy.
Roamers were probably the finest yachts Chris Craft ever built.

RedDog
01-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Roamers!

I was thinking a steel hull?

VetteLT193
01-28-2010, 09:59 AM
It is not too bad from the bridge. Yes. it does have a backup cam. It is getting a bunch of other goodies like engine room cams.
Maybe I should install stateroom cams?:eek:

backup cam, pretty awesome.

I think the older ones were steel but by the 70's they were aluminum.

The Hedgehog
01-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Roamers!
Yep. And that is where the anology came from. A little heavier guage here. The older Roamers were steel.

BUIZILLA
01-28-2010, 10:20 AM
my Critter would make the perfect tender... color matched and all...

alloy Roamers are rarer than Critter's...

McGary911
01-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Wow. Sweet new boat. Mucho Congrats Hedge' . That thing's beautiful.

zelatore
01-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Nice! I don't think I've ever been on a Roamer - You don't see them just every day.

The hallway between the engines made me imideatly thing Hat, but then the Portuguese bridge made me think trawler. Luckily I didn't have to think very hard for long, I just kept reading.:wink:

We'll need more details of course...

zelatore
01-28-2010, 11:14 AM
No wonder I didn't get it right away; from what I've read there were only 20 of this versoin of the Roamer built from '74-'76.

Good find - where was/is it?

silverghost
01-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Hedge: You need to replace that old whaler tender with at least a Donzi Baby 14 , if not a Donzi outboard ?
After-all You're a Donzi guy !
You'd be the only kid on your block, or marina for that matter, with a Donzi tender. Most every small motor-yacht has a Whaler or Zodiac!

zelatore
01-28-2010, 11:42 AM
hmmmm...let's see....beam should be just over 17' at the rub rail. How much does a 16 weigh again?

We can do this!

A good local yard can build a cradle and reinforce the boat deck for the weight, and I've still got accounts with a couple of davit makers who can handle the lifting. Sure, you'll have a little overhang, but nothing out of control.

Let's do it!

gcarter
01-28-2010, 01:07 PM
The hallway between the engines made me imideatly think Hat

I knew I'd seen that before!

MOP
01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Bill there were very few Director Chris 60's, I sold one to a fellow from Alabama, I am now wondering if by chance it could be the same 1974 60! I just spoke with the former owners son, he is going to pull his file and give me the Doc number, if by chance it is the same boat I will put you in touch with him. Also if it is the same boat it is in fact 3/16" thicker then any other 60 Roamer ever built, its original name when new was "Aspen Glow" which was embossed in the floor of the fly bridge by now it may have been removed.

Phil

MOP
01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Bill I have some of the history of the boat, PM me your number I have missed placed it. The more I spoke to Jim the former owner the more I think it is the same boat. I have the hull & Doc numbers and a general trail of where it has been. Like I said last known to me was Alabama where my buyer was from.

Phil

The Hedgehog
01-28-2010, 06:47 PM
That is a lot of cool info. I will be home in a bit.

The Hedgehog
01-28-2010, 08:08 PM
No wonder I didn't get it right away; from what I've read there were only 20 of this versoin of the Roamer built from '74-'76.

Good find - where was/is it?

It came from Lake Guntersville. It has been there for years. There is another one on Guntersville and one on Pickwick. Three Roamers in Bama. By Sat....only two.

They were to deliver 20. Only 12 got delivered. They bought out 8.

donzi racer
01-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Hedge, Dad used to keep his 42 foot Aruba Owens flush deck at Guntersville Yacht Club way back when & finally at Harbor House right across from the yacht club. There were two of the larger Roamers in Guntersville then, I believe. One was like yours and the other was a Flush Deck. I thought the flush deck was 60 or 62 footer but that was 25 years ago. I remember there was a neat 38 foot Roamer with twin 431 Lincolns I believe that was bought new by the father and the son was in his late 60's when we were there. That was cool that a whole family still enjoyed something that was bought so long ago. Dad was from Mobile and son was from St Louis & that was kinda half way. The two large roamers were both fantastic. I remember the name of the Flush deck was Southern Comfort & the owner had a captain on call basically just to get the yacht out & back into the slip. I always wanted that job. ha ha When you go to pick it up ask if Tom Ivey is still there? Rose & I bought our 1976 Donzi X-18 from him way back then. Wonderful find, enjoy. Tom

BUIZILLA
01-29-2010, 07:22 PM
I think the 57 at Guntersville is also for sale...

Last Real Texan
01-29-2010, 09:14 PM
All hail the king....
Nicely done it looksgood even from turkey

gero1
01-29-2010, 09:31 PM
you 2 are making me feel like Gilligan, think ya can get a hydrohoist for it??

The Hedgehog
01-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys. I am sitting at the LGYC right now. Hit a little dinner and enjoying the boat. It is a hell of a piece of equip,

gcarter
01-30-2010, 10:20 AM
All the talk of this beautiful boat, yacht clubs and all reminds me of a time when I was a kid in highschool in Houston.
A buddy of mine's parents were members of Lakewood Yacht Club on Clear Lake.....close to where the guys on this site hang out.
In the early '60's, Lakewood was a very snooty, highbrow kind of place.
Many of the members had some pretty large motoryachts. There was room in front of the clubhouse for about two of these boats to tie up.
Of course this was THE premiere spot to have your boat. Everyone would see it there. If you moved your boat to use it, the spot would be gone in about 5 minutes.
What to do!:confused:
Keep the prime spot and don't use the boat for weeks or months?
Or not be able to show your boat to such an advantage.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Do you mean like a 1974 60' Roamer? We have a winner. Actually Buizilla called me out on it before I even posted any pics.

Bill,
What a gorgeous classic yacht you have there. Judging by the size, you might need a crew of babes to help keep her in pristine condition. :wink: Bill

RedDog
01-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Any updates? Is she on TN waters now?

The Hedgehog
02-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Any updates? Is she on TN waters now?

She is docked at Nickajack. We came through the winter storm. Locking through at night in an iced over 60 footer was a trip. Post and pics of the deadliest catch will follow.

The Hedgehog
02-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Bill,
What a gorgeous classic yacht you have there. Judging by the size, you might need a crew of babes to help keep her in pristine condition. :wink: Bill

Thanks Bill,

You got that right!