PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't AOTH later?

Okie2
01-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Went to the AOTH last year for the 1st time. Great location & love the lake...but, how come it isn't pushed back a couple of weeks when the water is warmer & free of debris? Not a complaint...just an observation. People come from good distances...getting full use out of that beautiful lake sure would be a bonus. :) Scott

Ghost
01-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Went to the AOTH last year for the 1st time. Great location & love the lake...but, how come it isn't pushed back a couple of weeks when the water is warmer & free of debris? Not a complaint...just an observation. People come from good distances...getting full use out of that beautiful lake sure would be a bonus. :) Scott

Leaving the air/water temp aside, I *think* they usually raise the lake level as time goes on in the Spring, and that actually picks up the debris from the shore, where it has fallen. So, earlier and thus lower are usually better from a debris perspective. Though I don't know the usual timing, to know if you could move it back a few weeks and get the same amount of debris with a better shot a warm and sunny.

(Beyond that, I think the "A" in AOTH may give some insight. It's probably deliberately pushing the early envelope inherently.)

Mike

VetteLT193
01-26-2010, 10:48 AM
my biggest guess is the lake wakes up the following weekend. I doubt Donzi owners could take the place over any time after that weekend because it gets busy on its own from local boaters.

Last year was my first year there too. I can't see how anyone goes for the boating aspect of the trip as it is the worst water I have ever been on. Even minus the logs: The hard shores make for sloppy conditions if there is any kind of traffic. I think it is more about the good times than anything.

glashole
01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
pretty sure it is deliberately set on the long weekend in Canada (called may 2-4) in order to make sure there is enough time for us to get there and back

FISHIN SUCKS
01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
There are a few reasons and Ghost nailed some of it with the 'A' (good one Mike).

Last year the region received a lot of rain prior to the event which raised the water level and floated plenty of lumber that had been accumulating on the shore for past 3 years. Those who know know the lake level was lowered between 2005 and 2006 for repairs to the Wolf Creek Damn. One reason for the date before the Memorial Day weekend is less traffic on the lake (with the exception of last year because the OSS race events were going on last year the same weekend, 1st time). Another reason is the hotel rates and availability are considerably lower and more available in comparison to dates after Memorial day weekend.

We certainly appreciate you coming Steve and hope to see you again this year (along with everyone else (well, except for Shea:kingme:)). Just kiddn' Shea, you're my favorite Canadian!!!

A couple of years ago it was suggested that there be an AOTH in the fall, but interest fell flat. Maybe interest will pick up again.

Hope to see everyone again this year and more. I will be making my reservations soon!

tom

The Hedgehog
01-26-2010, 06:11 PM
There are a few reasons and Ghost nailed some of it with the 'A' (good one Mike).
Last year the region received a lot of rain prior to the event which raised the water level and floated plenty of lumber that had been accumulating on the shore for past 3 years. Those who know know the lake level was lowered between 2005 and 2006 for repairs to the Wolf Creek Damn. One reason for the date before the Memorial Day weekend is less traffic on the lake (with the exception of last year because the OSS race events were going on last year the same weekend, 1st time). Another reason is the hotel rates and availability are considerably lower and more available in comparison to dates after Memorial day weekend.
We certainly appreciate you coming Steve and hope to see you again this year (along with everyone else (well, except for Shea:kingme:)). Just kiddn' Shea, you're my favorite Canadian!!!
A couple of years ago it was suggested that there be an AOTH in the fall, but interest fell flat. Maybe interest will pick up again.
Hope to see everyone again this year and more. I will be making my reservations soon!
tom

And I thought it was early so pimps like you and me could have an excuse to get our programs ready for summer!:pimp:

I actually think the time is perfect. I know that I would offend way too many people if we had more people in Jamestown. Our antics are more appreciated when occupancy is down. Anyone that saw Gero's room last year would agree. On second thought, anyone that stopped by his room would agree.

BUIZILLA
01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Anyone that saw Gero's room last year would agree. On second thought, anyone that stopped by his room would agree. :yes: :eek: considering my room was right next door... :party:

FISHIN SUCKS
01-26-2010, 07:58 PM
And I thought it was early so pimps like you and me could have an excuse to get our programs ready for summer!:pimp:
I actually think the time is perfect. I know that I would offend way too many people if we had more people in Jamestown. Our antics are more appreciated when occupancy is down. Anyone that saw Gero's room last year would agree. On second thought, anyone that stopped by his room would agree.
+1:yes::eek::yes:

gero1
01-27-2010, 08:12 AM
it's all my fault, i am always broke and this is the only ralley can i can afford to go to(only 100 mi from my house) as far as the trash in the water it is just like f.s says, the past years the water has been fantasic! ran wot everywhere i went .......... what happened at my room? was i even there? i hear things are up and running, keep your fingers crossed fl

glashole
01-27-2010, 10:09 AM
pretty sure the event is also organized around bottling time for Gero1 to make sure we always have a fresh batch............

The Hedgehog
01-27-2010, 04:23 PM
pretty sure the event is also organized around bottling time for Gero1 to make sure we always have a fresh batch............

I spoke with that villan earlier today. He does not seem to be experiencing any deficits in that department.

gero1
01-27-2010, 08:46 PM
gots a shipping quondam

sweet 16 1966
02-02-2010, 12:14 AM
AOTH 2010 is timed the week before due to as mentioned;
--week before rates go up
--last week before crowds so its the last weekend we can take over the parkinglot with our boats. First timers - vett and all- give it another chance ! Its a great place to rule for a couple days. Lots more folks this time who need to wear a suit! All be Safe-make good decisions take less risks in a crowd .

ITTLFLI
02-02-2010, 09:28 AM
AOTH 2010 is timed the week before due to as mentioned;
--week before rates go up
--last week before crowds so its the last weekend we can take over the parkinglot with our boats. First timers - vett and all- give it another chance ! Its a great place to rule for a couple days. Lots more folks this time who need to wear a suit! All be Safe-make good decisions take less risks in a crowd .

Thanks Russ!

The above reasons are why we have it when we do.

Check for updates and all the current 2010 AOTH X info coming to www.mwdonziclub.com soon(hopefully in the next week).

One thing to note....we will have a PRE-REGISTRATION this year. There will be a pdf link on the club site that you will print, fill out, and send in with a check and insurance information. Cut off date will be MAY 1st. This will make it go a LOT smoother this year!

Thanks to all who attend and make this event what it is!

Byron

gero1
02-03-2010, 07:39 PM
whats it gonna be??? yall ever gonna tell us?

FISHIN SUCKS
02-04-2010, 09:37 AM
The feature this year is:

The Motorized cooler!
goggles not included

gero1
02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
that's purty darn funny. thanks fs

The Hedgehog
02-05-2010, 08:16 AM
And he had such as serious look on his face. I guess that is because he is pretty serious about it.

ITTLFLI
02-05-2010, 03:38 PM
got the details posted....

see the "official aoth' thread....

FISHIN SUCKS
02-08-2010, 07:53 AM
that's purty darn funny. thanks fs
Just sharin the love with everyone! I just think that video is funny. For those that have not been to AOTH or were not there in '07 (I believe), that was taken on the dock at Lee's Ford (our lunch run on Friday). That be Robert, aka Gero1, on the cooler. Robert be the captain of the black Blackhawk, 'Go get'em Bandit!'