PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 16 OB Baby ??? ID

ausF233
01-24-2010, 09:24 PM
A close friend of mine is looking to purchase what is advertised to be a Donzi 16 OB Baby in Melbourne Australia.

We are trying to obtain specific information on this particular boat and have not had any luck so far. Almost all the print has been removed from the compliance plate, most likely through normal wear and tear. The data that has been stamped into it is still visible, and is presented in metric format. For example we can make out length (5.1 meters), hull weight (636kg) and the Hull ID number (SOA-5-018). The Hull ID number is also moulded/stamped into the fibreglass at the very top of the transom, just below the rub rail on the starboard side.

I have searched this site but cannot find any information to assist me to read a Hull ID numbers presented in this 'metric' format.

If anyone here can assist, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Greg Guimond
01-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Does it look something like this...........

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53140&d=1262904564

Get some detailed photos and post them as well as tell us what motor is on it?

ausF233
01-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Yes, it looks exactly like that but without the ski pole on the deck and blue boxes drain in. With regards to the outboard, there isn't one fitted however we believe an OMC was fitted at one stage.

Being Aronow fanatics, both my friend and I are familiar with the Sweet 16 but we are having trouble identifying this one due to the metric information on the tag and the Hull ID mentioned in my first post. Also, the 5.1 meters mentioned in my first post equates to 16'8" which is adding to the confusion.

Unfortunately i do not have any detailed photos at the moment and cannot link to any. However the high windshield and 'older' style decals suggest it's very early model, but it would be nice to pin point the year and month of manufacture and any other details if possible.

Thanks for your interest. I look forward to any assistance you maye be able to offer.

PS: Interesting that your pic comes from Boatpoint. Are you also from or in Australa?

RPD
01-25-2010, 09:29 AM
the original 16 was 16' 7.5" ... the later "sweet sixteen" is apparently 16' 5" .... see posts elsewhere..

also posts elsewhere will tell you the boat was made in the '70s .... and there were about 170 made .... then about 5 more in the 90's based on the newer hull ...

the ski post was apparently common, mine has one and i've seen others with it.... but i'm not sure it was a factory option ...

also, if you buy and repower it, there are many posts about various motors people have used on the 16 ob ... the best choice depends on how you use it..

ausF233
01-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Thank you RPD.