PDA

View Full Version : Avatar a great movie

MOP
01-24-2010, 04:30 PM
I have been hearing so much about it Bonnie and I went to see it today, it was fabulous! Try to see it you will not regret going!

zelatore
01-24-2010, 05:14 PM
I agree. Saw it over the holidays and was impressed. I don't go to that many movies, so maybe I'm an easy mark. I did have to see it in 3D since that was the only showing available, although I don't think it added anything to the movie.

rtgogo
01-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Agree that the 3D effects didn't add much, but it was a great flick.. Takes a lot to hold my attention that long and have to admit I was glued to the big screen the entire movie.

Just Say N20
01-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Kind of The Matrix + Lion King + Dances with Wolves + great CG = Avatar.

While I did enjoy the movie, the predictable "white men are evil, natural resource destroying cretins, the military is also evil and to be used to get whatever you want, and the natives with their total one-ness with nature were perfect" gets old.

OK, pile on.

Marlin275
01-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Biggest movie of all time . . .

'Avatar' replaces 'Titanic' in record books

James Cameron's sci-fi spectacular replaced his maritime melodrama as the biggest international release of all time during the weekend and is on the verge of claiming its worldwide crown, which also includes North American receipts, distributor 20th Century Fox said on Sunday.

The News Corp (NWSA.O)-owned studio said "Avatar" has sold $1.841 billion worth of tickets worldwide during its unbroken six-week reign, and was a day or so away from surpassing the seemingly insurmountable $1.843 billion racked up by "Titanic" in 1997-1998.

The international portion stands at $1.288 billion, eclipsing the $1.242 billion haul of "Titanic."

In North America, "Avatar" may have to wait up to two weeks to sink the $601 million total of "Titanic," Fox said. Moviegoers in the United States and Canada have chipped in $552.8 million, enough to replace 2008's "The Dark Knight" ($533 million) as the second-biggest movie of all time.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2414728620100124

MOP
01-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Though I did truly enjoy the movie it does speak volumes of corporate greed and with the aid of military trampling the simple masses. That was one of the first things Bonnie said when we left the movie, it looked like a corporate/military imperialism flic quite true compared to real life!

Sweet Cheekz
01-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Saw it in 3d Imax Simply awesome

Schnook
01-25-2010, 09:40 AM
I saw it in imax 3d and I have to disagree with those who think 3d didn't add anything to the movie. There were several times when I flinched from things that were flying at me, and I felt like I could reach out and touch stuff in the movie. That said, the tried and true colonial explotation plot does get old, but I go to movies like this to be entertained, not for social commentary. It is sad how many people do get their social and political views from the movies. I heard there was a help blog set up for people who were depressed because they couldn't go to pandora! yikes! :bonk:
p.s. did anyone else think that blue chick was kinda hot?

zelatore
01-25-2010, 03:38 PM
While I did enjoy the movie, the predictable "white men are evil, natural resource destroying cretins, the military is also evil and to be used to get whatever you want, and the natives with their total one-ness with nature were perfect" gets old.

I thought it was pretty much an interpretation of the Europeans taking over the 'new world' from the native americans. There seemed to be more than a little 'Indian' about the blue natives.

And I have no idea about the blue chick being hot. Nope. No idea at all....:wink:

Jraysray
01-25-2010, 04:14 PM
I think the 3D was so well done that you really didn't notice it so much. It wasn't like the old movies where something came flying up to your nose every now and then. it was a mix of subtle and noticeable 3D shots.