PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of trailer wheels....

gcarter
01-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Since we're on the subject of trailer wheels (thanks Tim), I have a question....
I want to paint the aluminum wheels on my trailer to match the boat(red, remember?).
What prep does this require?
Bead blasting?
What primer?
Any other comments?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53435&stc=1&d=1264086556

BUIZILLA
01-21-2010, 09:18 AM
are they clear coated?

VetteLT193
01-21-2010, 09:18 AM
I suggest some searching around the internet. It is really hard to paint aluminum, especially one on a boat trailer that will be dipped into water, properly.

If you have the funds to powder coat you will be better off. The powder coat place will dip the wheels into chemical baths to prep them and the powder will last a good while.

I wouldn't suggest doing either because I highly doubt either option will last forever. If I were you, and really wanted a splash of red, I would maybe do red in the inset holes in the wheels. they were more than likely painted from the wheel factory anyway. clean and Polish the wheels back first then paint the holes. The paint won't last forever but should last a decent amount of time and it won't be too hard to touch up when the time comes.

mrfixxall
01-21-2010, 09:38 AM
If it were my wheels george i would paint the centers and polish the outter lip's.. scuff with a scuff pad and use self etching primer,then paint with the same paint you used on your drives then clear over everything..

zelatore
01-21-2010, 09:52 AM
If it were my wheels george i would paint the centers and polish the outter lip's.. scuff with a scuff pad and use self etching primer,then paint with the same paint you used on your drives then clear over everything..

I think that would be a great look!

If you're doing it yourself, this plan should work. But I do think powdercoating would be the best option. Bikes get powedercoated wheels and/or frames all the time when people want custom colors, and they hold up really well.

gcarter
01-21-2010, 10:03 AM
are they clear coated?

They may have been at one time, but it's raw aluminum now.

gcarter
01-21-2010, 10:05 AM
I need to get a quote on powdercoating other parts, so I'll check into this.

gcarter
01-21-2010, 10:10 AM
That could be interesting!

I guess what I'm asking is any specific suggestions as to prep.
Does it need to be taken to virgin metal?
What's the best primer for wheels.
The wheels look to be different than the outdrive cast aluminum parts.
If I take this on, I don't want to do it over for awhile.

Barry Eller
01-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Zinc Chromate is the primer of choice for aluminum. That is what the Navy uses on aircraft.

Ghost
01-21-2010, 11:02 AM
For the record, I think they look good as they are. Maybe a splash of red, but honestly, I think with that boat, they will be great contrast.

FWIW

Cuda
01-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Zinc Chromate is the primer of choice for aluminum. That is what the Navy uses on aircraft.
Yes, but the Navy doesn't mind painting an aircraft or two every year.
I've never seen any paint that will stick to aluminum. The swim platform on my Formula was powedercoated.

BUIZILLA
01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
there is an etching primer you can use, then paint some kind of epoxy based paint over it, maybe even imron... I did several toolboxes this way for truck beds...

VetteLT193
01-21-2010, 12:00 PM
there is an etching primer you can use, then paint some kind of epoxy based paint over it, maybe even imron... I did several toolboxes this way for truck beds...

When I researched doing this that was one of the steps. but there were a few more steps before paint too. Total PITA. I seem to remember something about fluoride being involved in the process.

mrfixxall
01-21-2010, 01:40 PM
That could be interesting!

I guess what I'm asking is any specific suggestions as to prep.
Does it need to be taken to virgin metal?
What's the best primer for wheels.
The wheels look to be different than the outdrive cast aluminum parts.
If I take this on, I don't want to do it over for awhile.

George barry nailed it, Zinc chromate primer is what you want to use before the red followed with a polyurethane paint then polish the lip..i have cleared over polished aluminum but it will only last a few years so my suggestion would be to just polish the lip and leave it alone..i did my beemer wheels this way 5 yrs ago and i just touch them up with mothers once a year and they still look like chrome :)

gcarter
01-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the input everyone.
This isn't going to happen anytime soon but the procees starts in my mind and I want to be ready for when it's time.

Marlin275
01-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Imron is used on aluminum airplanes for it's durablity, and flexablity due to the extreme temperature changes from hot to cold and the movement of the wings.

Cuda
01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
When I researched doing this that was one of the steps. but there were a few more steps before paint too. Total PITA. I seem to remember something about fluoride being involved in the process.

That's how I painted an outdrive. If it was easy,they would have old ladies doing it.