PDA

View Full Version : A barn raising

Cuda
01-16-2010, 09:34 AM
They are building a house at the end of my street for the Habitat for Humanity. Everyone working there is doing it as a volunteer. There must be 50 or more people there today. These people are there because they want to help our community. They were out there last Saturday when it was snowing too. It does my heart good to see the numbers of good people willing to pitch in.

Cuda
01-16-2010, 11:56 AM
People at work.

silverghost
01-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Did ya see Jimmy Carter there by any chance ?

McGary911
01-16-2010, 04:42 PM
It's a great charity. One think I like, is that they require the family getting the home to do a lot of work on it. Sweat equity.

When I used to do morning radio, we would have a yearly fund drive to help them raise money. I wasn't making a ton of money back then, but would do a couple of free appearances at a mall or 2. We'd call in on the air to have people come by and donate.

Cuda
01-16-2010, 05:51 PM
It's a great charity. One think I like, is that they require the family getting the home to do a lot of work on it. Sweat equity.

When I used to do morning radio, we would have a yearly fund drive to help them raise money. I wasn't making a ton of money back then, but would do a couple of free appearances at a mall or 2. We'd call in on the air to have people come by and donate.
Yes, they require the prospective owner to do X amount of charity work to qualify. I knew one girl that was waiting for them to build her a house. That was a couple years ago. She was a very sweet girl, I hope one of them are for her. They got all the walls up today.