PDA

View Full Version : strange holman moody question?

regan
01-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I took the starter off my 351 hm and took it to my local rebuilder and he says it is not a marine rated or sparkproof unit and no parts are available to convert it. Is this possible? One thing I did notice is that the bell housing is completely sealed so maybe thats how they did this. can anyone verify this otherwise Im going to be really nervous about any gas fumes this summer thanks regan 16-620

mattyboy
01-13-2010, 07:02 PM
what is the HM part number on the starter???
it should be C5HM-11002-MB2

do you know it to be original??

not all too far fetched that someone put auto stuff on it, that is the case with my new old boat

MOP
01-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Is there any reason not to put a later model on it?

Walt. H.
01-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Years ago pre 1960's and earlier, even the spark plug terminals ends didn't have boots on them and the old Chris Craft Gray marine KH engine down draft carburators dripped gas after you shut the engines off..... People back then just knew to open the engine hatch to vent fumes cause bilge blowers weren't invented yet..

mphatc
01-13-2010, 08:07 PM
I to went thru this when I rebuilt my H&M 302 . . the starter motor had been replaced by an automotive unit by a previous owner with one that just happened to fit the 302 . . I ended up buying a new marine duty and rated starter . .
You need to do the same and the rebuilder can't legally rebuild the unit for you as is, KNOWING that it goes into a marine application.
as an example, almost every insurance company will void or cancel an insurance payment IF the starter caused a fire and this part was not to code and was installed by the owner or the rebuilder.
I have letters from both my vintage boat insurers stating such.
Mario L.
1968 Magnum 27
1969 Donzi Corsican

Walt. H.
01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
insurance company will void or cancel an insurance payment IF the starter caused a fire and this part was not to code and was installed by the owner or the rebuilder.

More likely to cause an explosion first!
The same holds true for other items such as automotive grade flexible neoprene fuel line between the fuel pump and carburator instead of steel, and a very common error is the use of a perf automotive air cleaner instead of a C.G. approved marine flame arrestor.
Also another big No No like the starter is the use of a automotive distributor and alternator due to the same external venting which can allow sparks to excape, all these items have been used down thru the yr's by many w/o having an issue but if the conditions go bad there's going to be a horror show and the insurance company will be looking for their excuse not to pay for your loss!.