wrussellw
01-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Anybody have first hand knowledge or personal experience
with 2009 models? Thanks

mrfixxall
01-11-2010, 11:47 PM
with 2009 models? Thanks

You may as well save some cash and buy a ford! basicly the same powertrain..

I was working on a g-friend's of mine, i had to put bearings in the bottom end @ 46000 miles,to get the oil pan out i had to remove the front diff(x type) what a pos!!! so whyle the front diff was out i figured i would change the fluid because it was dark brown,alldata said it takes a special fluid,,,,,,,,,real special at 92.00 a liter..needless to say ill never but a jag..

just my o2 :)

JimG
01-12-2010, 06:00 AM
I think the X-type is a Taurus. (I drove one as a loaner while my Porsche was in the shop, serious POS!) The XK & XKR are completely different critters, I think...

Greg Guimond
01-12-2010, 06:44 AM
If used a great option is a 2002 XJR 100 Sedan for $20K. Now if you are really lucky maybe you can find one of the (25) 2002 XKR 100 Coupes that came into the US.

jimishooch
01-12-2010, 08:26 AM
2 words...... extended warranty.

MOP
01-12-2010, 11:11 AM
They still use Lucas wiring which has been problematic since day one, beautiful to look at but poor to own. Bonnie had her eye on one I told when I die!!!!!!!!!!!

Conquistador_del_mar
01-12-2010, 12:25 PM
with 2009 models? Thanks

I have a couple older Jags and have owned a few more with all their typical problems. I still love them, but they are notorious for both maintenance issues and extreme depreciation. This forum group would probably help you out: http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Here is my 1987 XJS with a tuned port 350 Corvette engine with a 700R4 overdrive tranny. Hard to beat the looks and ride. Good luck, Bill

motorcity
01-13-2010, 08:14 PM
They still use Lucas wiring which has been problematic since day one, beautiful to look at but poor to own. Bonnie had her eye on one I told when I die!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucas hasn't exsisted for quite a few years now. It was broken up and parts of it where sold off to other companys.

BUIZILLA
01-13-2010, 08:21 PM
MOP.... Delphi digested Lucas last century.... at least 20 years ago

Ford has owned Jag recently and there are tentacles there..

gcarter
01-13-2010, 08:42 PM
MOP.... Delphi digested Lucas last century.... at least 20 years ago

Ford has owned Jag recently and there are tentacles there..

And now Tata owns Jag and Aston..........
Next they'll be powered by dirty little two strokes
that go:
"Ringa Ding Ding"

CHACHI
01-14-2010, 05:55 AM
With fuel injection, some sort of variable exhaust valve, expansion chambers, and make lots of horsepower.

With the exception of the fuel injection, varible exhaust valve, and lots of horsepower, it will sound just like an old Saab rally car.

Ken

VetteLT193
01-14-2010, 07:19 AM
Ford really fixed up Jag. the X type is a piece of crap though. The XK is totally different. The original XK's (up until the latest update in 2007 or 2008) was the same platform as the Aston Martin DB7. It was a deal of a car considering the DB was waaaaaay more expensive.

I have no idea on the current line though. They might be using the same platform but they might not be.

Craig S
01-14-2010, 11:17 AM
And now Tata owns Jag and Aston..........
Next they'll be powered by dirty little two strokes
that go:
"Ringa Ding Ding"

I believe Tata owns Jag and Rover.
Aston was bought by the Aston race shop (or rather the well heeled guys who ran it), as I recollect.

gcarter
01-14-2010, 02:58 PM
I believe Tata owns Jag and Rover.
Aston was bought by the Aston race shop (or rather the well heeled guys who ran it), as I recollect.

Sorry! You're right. I'd forgotten.
I got to tour the Vantage plant about ten years ago. It's the plant where Walkinshaw had built the XJ220. The bodies were brought in from Mayflower (who was also building Roller bodies at the time) primered and on pallets. They went first to the paint shop and received whatever color the customer wanted. Then it went into the main plant (which was only about 6 or 7K square feet) and it was station assembled. There were about 35 stations and they were producing about 40 cars/day. Everything was assembled Kanban (sp) there was no warehousing at this facility. The engines were built by Cosworth and came in w/whatever transmission ordered for that particular car.
That was a fun day.

Greg Guimond
01-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Not mine ........

2002 JAGUAR XJR-100 Anniversary Edition - $23,900

VERY RARE, HARD TO FIND ''100'' Anniversary Edition ;
500 Produced-150 exported to North Amer., Canada
limited production GENTELMANS HOT ROD!
This is NOT A REGULAR XJR! 370HP Supercharged - 387 lb-ft tq
It has every factory option offered plus the body is void of all chrome and mouldings they are only finished in Black Pearl.
The car has dynamic suspension system only on the ''100'
The suspension is modified and large BREMBRO calipers w. Jaguar logo.
The interior is Black w. RED double stitching, a MOMO leather wrapped STRG. THICKER STRG. wheel with 'R' logo in center.
18'' BBS WHEELS produced only for this car!
MORE-MORE- 860-305-1102
e-mail joecusano@hotmail.com

blue-z
01-19-2010, 09:18 AM
I wanted an XK8 or R. I was going to get one because I have a 69 GTO ragtop that is basically a knick nack and isn't used often. I wanted a nice toy. I spoke to several people about purchasing an older one. Wouldn't go there due to the nickasil engine issue as well as timing tensioners etc. They can sometimes be quite cumbersome and expensive and yet others say no.
I ended up with a super clean 97 Camaro SS ragtop and it is fun. It is also a pain to work on and has its issues. Tight to work on. It is a rare and fast car. They did not make many in this year.

CHACHI
01-19-2010, 05:09 PM
I wanted an XK8 or R. I was going to get one because I have a 69 GTO ragtop that is basically a knick nack and isn't used often. I wanted a nice toy. I spoke to several people about purchasing an older one. Wouldn't go there due to the nickasil engine issue as well as timing tensioners etc. They can sometimes be quite cumbersome and expensive and yet others say no.
I ended up with a super clean 97 Camaro SS ragtop and it is fun. It is also a pain to work on and has its issues. Tight to work on. It is a rare and fast car. They did not make many in this year.

blue-z, you caught my attention with the '69 GTO ragtop line. I really miss mine, 400 with a turbo 400, just a great car.

I digress, what was/is the problem with nicasil? In the motorcycle/snowmobile market that is all they use. Great heat transfer, less weight than liners, can be replated and re-honed if needed. Nickasil probably could of/would of saved the Vega motor. :)

Ken

gcarter
01-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Nickasil probably could of/would of saved the Vega motor. :)
Ken

How far off track can we go???
But I remember the days of the Vega and the contemporary Mercedes aluminum engines used nicasil and GM refused to. I seem to remember GM tried to go the bargain basement route (seemingly always the way of GM. Never more than a 60% effort if they didn't have to). So Vega had an engine that lasted 50K miles and a body that lasted about two years before rusting away.

CHACHI
01-20-2010, 06:04 AM
[quote=gcarter;553796]How far off track can we go???
quote]

George, come on, when was the last time you had the chance to talk about a Vega motor?

Ken