PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 22 GT with Whipple Charger

Michi Besler
01-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Hello everybody
since a year I am the proud owner of a Donzi 22 GT with a 496 HO. Now this winter I have purchased a Whipple charger kit, a Bravo 1 XR drive ans ITS Transom for my baby.
Who has got experience with with a whipple charged 496 HO in a 22 classic concerning water cooling performancs! Do I need to replace the regular waterpump by a double stage one (like Hardin), or is the performance of the original pump large enough to cool the charger as well?
I am gratefull for any advise because I am quite new to power boating.
Thanks a lot in advance from Hamburg/Germany
Michi Besler

MOP
01-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Randy (Big Griz) will have some good input, but basically we have more water then we can handle. Many of our rigs have had to add pressure relief valves to get rid of the excess, the system pressure builds as speed increases that has caused many a head gasket leak.

Phil

mrfixxall
01-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Hello everybody
since a year I am the proud owner of a Donzi 22 GT with a 496 HO. Now this winter I have purchased a Whipple charger kit, a Bravo 1 XR drive ans ITS Transom for my baby.
Who has got experience with with a whipple charged 496 HO in a 22 classic concerning water cooling performancs! Do I need to replace the regular waterpump by a double stage one (like Hardin), or is the performance of the original pump large enough to cool the charger as well?
I am gratefull for any advise because I am quite new to power boating.
Thanks a lot in advance from Hamburg/Germany
Michi Besler

Leave the plumbing alone on the engine..you need to run a transom mounted water pick up tube,run that into a sea strainer to keep all the crap from plugging the inner cooler..You will also need a through hull fitting for a water dump after the cooler which i usually mount on the same side as the steering wheel so you can see the water coming out when your under way..this set up will only run water through the cooler when your on plane,when you have your sea pump running water through the cooler it messes with the efi and your injectors will puddle at idle and cause the engine to run rich..you will also need a water pressure gauge,to much water can burst the cooler,regulate the cooler pressure with restrict ores after the cooler to the through hull fitting..If you run a water pressure guage no need to run the dump hose out the side,run it out the back dumping the water on the drive,this way you wont need to put a drive cooler on:)

axelkloehn
01-12-2010, 02:26 AM
He Michi,

wo fährst denn immer in Hamburg? Komme auch aus hh und baue gerade ne Donzi GT21 mit 450 HP BB/Bravo1 auf (hab schon div posts in diesem Forum). Dieses Forum ist megageil und die Jungs hier sind super kooperativ und hilfreich, hab hier schon ne menge info und Hilfe bekommen- und die schicken auch Teile zu Superpreisen aus amiland.
Vielleicht könn wa mal schnacken.

Gruss, Axel :germany:

Sorry guys, don't wanna upset you- just telling him you guys are super-helpful and this site is absolutely fantastic.... He lives in my hometown!!

The Hedgehog
01-12-2010, 05:13 AM
I lived in a little village in the Eifel region when I was a kid. It is called Niederkiel. Our bigger town is Wittlich. Go easy on the spelling, it has been a while. I played football (your football) and had a blast. Those were some great memories. I have been back and will go again.

What these guys said.

I do it similar to what Fixx said. I feed the cooler with deep water pickup off the drive without going through the pump. I feed the engine with a Latham transom pickup. I use a pressure gauge on the block. I run my dump out the back because I already had a hole. I like the driver side better. I run 850hp off the single stage and have no problems with water pressure or heat.

Most of my friends with BIG power do not use multiple stage pumps until they are making north of 900 hp. Then they go three stage. One for the cooler, one for the block and one for the exhaust.

Enjoy the power and let us know what you do.

Michi Besler
01-12-2010, 12:11 PM
thank you guys,

this helps me a lot.
Mrfixxall, about what waterpressure we talk about? So that I can order the proper relieve valve and pressure gauge?

Hi Axel,
my marina is the hamburger yachthafen in Wedel, check on youtube michibesler (importand: without a space between names), there you find movies of my 22GT. Which Donzi do you have?
Talk to you
Michi

Michi Besler
01-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Sorry Axel,

stupid question about what boat you have because you mentioned it already.:boat:
Lets get in touch over donzi registry or my personal mail: michi@eardrum.de, or phone 0177-299 51 51.
Looking very forward to it!
Michi

axelkloehn
01-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Hi Michi, ach du bist das mit der blauen Shelby!!! Wusste nicht das die einen Whipple hat...

Ich hab eine GT21, sozusagen der Vorgänger von deiner... ist aber halt noch nicht fertig.... denke aber zum Sommer schaffe ich das, dann können wir vielleicht mal zusammen fahren... wohne in Gross Flottbek und fahr auch auf der Elbe... anbei Bilder von Boot und Motor.

Hab übrigens gerade gesehen daß du auch ein Creativer bist und einen Tag nach mir Geburtstag hast (*02.04.1962)- ich arbeite als Industrial Designer in Hamburg- mail privat axelkloehn@yahoo.de, 0172 4592332

Gruss, Axel

p.s.: could be interesting to have a look at your engine, may be you can post some pix :-)

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............

mrfixxall
01-12-2010, 02:00 PM
thank you guys,

this helps me a lot.
Mrfixxall, about what waterpressure we talk about? So that I can order the proper relieve valve and pressure gauge?

Hi Axel,
my marina is the hamburger yachthafen in Wedel, check on youtube michibesler (importand: without a space between names), there you find movies of my 22GT. Which Donzi do you have?
Talk to you
Michi

I assume you have a innercooler that's under the whipple that cools the air going into the engine?

The water pressure from the water pick up at the transom can create allot of pressure for the cooler for the Whipple,you want to plumb in a water pressure gauge before the cooler to monitor the water pressure going into the cooler this way you don't over do it and rupture the cooler so water don't go into the engine..

Carl C
04-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Banner pics are looking good:cool:.

LKSD
04-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Since I actually have real world experience with this engine & supercharger and many others I will chime in..... ;) :boat::kingme:

Here's what I will tell you, the rest is top secret.. :)
You do not need a separate pick up on this application.

There is or at least should be an inter-cooler in the kit.

I would leave your sea pump alone, it does flow enough, but you should replace the impeller kit.

I would just plumb in a sea strainer before the sea pump & then another small one in the inter-cooler feed line. That is all you will need for the strainers.

A water pressure gauge is a good idea for many reasons.

You will probably not need a water psi blow off valve if you run like this, but it wont hurt if you run it either.

Also I recommend running an auxiliary oil cooler & a custom oversize heat exchanger (I actually strongly recommend this).. I sell these kits & custom heat exchangers as well for these units if you need one.. ;)

Beyond that make sure all of your settings & calibrations are really on track. Being precise on this engine is key.. If you are precise they can be reliable & last well. If it is not tuned right your fun will be short lived on this unit more so than others..

:) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32144&d=1192057990

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32132&d=1192020339

axelkloehn
04-07-2010, 09:09 AM
I think he's almost done with it:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61465

...test run might be this weekend! He lives next to my place, if there is any chance I will have a look :)

Michi Besler
04-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Hi Jamie,
now just today we put back the engine in the boat!
We have put in a ext. pickup thru a sandstrainer. I got so man different opinions on that issue and this solution felt the best to me.

And what Mrfixxall mentioned makes really sense to me:

"when you have your sea pump running water through the cooler it messes with the efi and your injectors will puddle at idle and cause the engine to run rich.."

Would your custom oversize heat exchanger fit in to the place where the original exchanger is laocated?
many thanks
Michi

Carl C
04-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Sounds like you are on the right track. Fixall knows his $hit. He amazes me sometimes!

Cuda
04-07-2010, 09:46 AM
He Michi,

wo fährst denn immer in Hamburg? Komme auch aus hh und baue gerade ne Donzi GT21 mit 450 HP BB/Bravo1 auf (hab schon div posts in diesem Forum). Dieses Forum ist megageil und die Jungs hier sind super kooperativ und hilfreich, hab hier schon ne menge info und Hilfe bekommen- und die schicken auch Teile zu Superpreisen aus amiland.
Vielleicht könn wa mal schnacken.

Gruss, Axel :germany:

Sorry guys, don't wanna upset you- just telling him you guys are super-helpful and this site is absolutely fantastic.... He lives in my hometown!!
Ich spreche ein bishein Deutch. Ich habe drei Jare Deutch auf Hof Schule.

Cuda
04-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Hi Michi, ach du bist das mit der blauen Shelby!!! Wusste nicht das die einen Whipple hat...

Ich hab eine GT21, sozusagen der Vorgänger von deiner... ist aber halt noch nicht fertig.... denke aber zum Sommer schaffe ich das, dann können wir vielleicht mal zusammen fahren... wohne in Gross Flottbek und fahr auch auf der Elbe... anbei Bilder von Boot und Motor.

Hab übrigens gerade gesehen daß du auch ein Creativer bist und einen Tag nach mir Geburtstag hast (*02.04.1962)- ich arbeite als Industrial Designer in Hamburg- mail privat axelkloehn@yahoo.de, 0172 4592332

Gruss, Axel

p.s.: could be interesting to have a look at your engine, may be you can post some pix :-)

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............
How do you make an Umlot on the keyboard?

axelkloehn
04-07-2010, 12:21 PM
How do you make an Umlot on the keyboard?

...with a german keyboard... :wink::wink::wink:

Planetwarmer
04-07-2010, 03:41 PM
...with a german keyboard... :wink::wink::wink:

A German keyboard?:confused: I thought keyboards were made in Taiwan!:yes:

Michi Besler
04-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Ahoi Cuda,

sehr gut, toll, klasse, bitte weiter lernen ;-)

axelkloehn
04-08-2010, 02:38 AM
A German keyboard?:confused: I thought keyboards were made in Taiwan!:yes:

No, we've got some formerly east-german companies who are producing keyboards for the german market only with:

Ää, Öö, Üü, ß, € :fam:

LKSD
04-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Hi Jamie,
now just today we put back the engine in the boat!
We have put in a ext. pickup thru a sandstrainer. I got so man different opinions on that issue and this solution felt the best to me.
And what Mrfixxall mentioned makes really sense to me:
"when you have your sea pump running water through the cooler it messes with the efi and your injectors will puddle at idle and cause the engine to run rich.."
Would your custom oversize heat exchanger fit in to the place where the original exchanger is laocated?
many thanks
Michi

Yes our heat exchanger fits into a stock location. :)

As far as the water running thru an inter cooler on an EFI unit it really does not mess with the efi.. The way reasons he may have stated are more suited to the carburetor applications. And on those I would agree that a separate pick up can be a good idea.. On the EFI models they usually run fine with the sea water slowly flowing thru the inter cooler. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

Carl C
04-08-2010, 07:08 AM
No, we've got some formerly east-german companies who are producing keyboards for the german market only with:

Ää, Öö, Üü, ß, € :fam:

I wonder what an oriental keyboard looks like......:nilly:

Cuda
04-08-2010, 07:14 AM
I wonder what an oriental keyboard looks like......:nilly:
It types backwards. :)

Ed Donnelly
04-08-2010, 07:20 AM
You use a piece of software called an "input method editor," which allows conventional-looking keyboards to produce the thousands of characters used in written Chinese. There's no standard system, though, so two Chinese keyboards may not look exactly the same and they may not function in the same way.Ed

Michi Besler
04-12-2010, 03:15 AM
now back to business ;-)
we had our maiden flight last saturday, everything went just perfect :nilly:
Engine/Whipple performance, temperatures, pressures (fuel and water), strainer (water and sand), ITS, XR Drive, large trim tabs, everything fine.
83 miles at 4800 rpm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPIbXbQetaE
The highest speed on the Video is 81 miles at 5200 rpm with a 29" 3-blade lapfinished Mercury mirage plus
We did the 83 miles with a 31" 5-Blade Race prop (unknown maker) and without intercooler, because we have set
the adjustable waterpickup wrong. We guess, we can add 2 to 3 miles on top. We do the next test runs with the right adjustment
an hopefully better water conditions.
Big thanks to everyone for your help, and suggestions
Michi

Just Say N20
04-12-2010, 04:49 AM
Very nice!

I love that blower whine. :yes:

jonzis donzi
04-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Is this you on youtube with the E30? Awesome boat by the way. It looks like you smoke everybody on the track. Had fun watching it! Donzi guys, check this guy out on youtube michi besler or michibesler.

Michi Besler
04-12-2010, 08:04 AM
yes its me!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj8Z1V9NFX0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boa_IMayYT8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URrcBM-QyFk
BMW M3 E30, Ex DTM Car, 5 Liter V8 520 hp, 1040 kg
The car was used to be yellow, now he is black (plus a few other changings;-), I drove the car in a in the german "Special Touringcar Championship"
Car is for sale, boating is more fun http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/boat.gif

VetteLT193
04-12-2010, 08:26 AM
now back to business ;-)
we had our maiden flight last saturday, everything went just perfect :nilly:
Engine/Whipple performance, temperatures, pressures (fuel and water), strainer (water and sand), ITS, XR Drive, large trim tabs, everything fine.
83 miles at 4800 rpm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPIbXbQetaE
The highest speed on the Video is 81 miles at 5200 rpm with a 29" 3-blade lapfinished Mercury mirage plus
We did the 83 miles with a 31" 5-Blade Race prop (unknown maker) and without intercooler, because we have set
the adjustable waterpickup wrong. We guess, we can add 2 to 3 miles on top. We do the next test runs with the right adjustment
an hopefully better water conditions.
Big thanks to everyone for your help, and suggestions
Michi

Looks like a Hydromotive prop... P5 I think.

Michi Besler
04-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks a lot VetteLT193,

I´am pretty sure that your right!

I found on the hydromotive site that they offering a 30" aswell. Do you know the difference between P5 and P5X? Is it maybe a diameter difference (15,5" and 16)?

Greeting from Germany

Michi

axelkloehn
04-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Is this you on youtube with the E30? Awesome boat by the way. It looks like you smoke everybody on the track. Had fun watching it! Donzi guys, check this guy out on youtube michi besler or michibesler.

...some guys have more fun...:yes::yes::yes:

Michi Besler
04-13-2010, 04:43 AM
Banner pics are looking good:cool:.

Carl, I´am afraid I´am to stupid for banner pics, can you please tell me how
they work?

Thanks

Michi

Planetwarmer
04-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks a lot VetteLT193,

I´am pretty sure that your right!

I found on the hydromotive site that they offering a 30" aswell. Do you know the difference between P5 and P5X? Is it maybe a diameter difference (15,5" and 16)?

Greeting from Germany

Michi

You sure dont seem to be afraid of the rev-limiter! What motor are you running in the Beamer?

Michi Besler
04-14-2010, 02:06 AM
a tuned M5 V8 (S62)