PDA

View Full Version : Precision Boat Trailers

RedDog
01-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Does anyone know anything about Precision Boat Trailers? Their prices seem good and shipping to TN may be reasonable.

I really need a new trailer to replace the rust bucket under my 22 (I was warned just dipping it into salt water 1 time would ruin it but no, I convinced my self that I could rinse it...)

http://www.precisionboattrailers.com/trailers2_tandem.html#tandem

VetteLT193
01-11-2010, 03:31 PM
I am pretty sure ace trailers in Fl is actually cheaper than that. That's what I have sitting under my 28 ZXO. I saw no quality difference than the South Florida trailer I had under the Minx... S. Fla quoted me over $4k for a new trailer without brakes for the Minx.

MOP
01-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I was told by more then one person that there are very few real manufacturers, that 90% were assemblers of aluminum trailers. You need to know who's axel and brake assemblies and bunk size also pay the extra $ for full S/S hardware, basically they are very much the same it is hard to tell one from another.

MOP
01-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I got my trailer through "Rust&Rot for a very good number from a firm in Georgia, you may want to PM him to see what he can quote you.

Phil

undertaker
01-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Reddog, are you set on an aluminum trailer or would you consider a steel one again....if you go steel look at performance trailers in Lake George, NY they make very nice trailers for the coin....Dr. Dan, Scott Pearson, Bob Haver to name a few have them and they are a nice piece.

Undertaker

Barry Eller
01-12-2010, 09:49 AM
My Performance Trailer was built in Tampa, I think, they are now out of business. The only problems I have had with it was floating. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45068&highlight=boat+trailer+floats

Tidbart
01-12-2010, 10:44 AM
If you are interested, I had mine custom built in aluminum and stainless in Ft Lauderdale by All-American Trailer Mfg. Did a bang-up job.
Buizilla turned me onto them. Great group of guys, do all building in-house.

I did a single axle under my 22.:yes: Not to say you have to. They will build what you want, not what they want you to buy.

Here are some photos.

Bob

MOP
01-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Once you tow an aluminum trailer you will never ever consider going back to steel, the difference is dramatic.

Ghost
01-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I assume it is weight-related, but what's so dramatic about aluminum? You have me very interested and I am considering a custom trailier right now.

Also, what's the story on bunks versus rollers? A BUNCH of keel rollers strikes me as a good way both to support the boat and also to make it easier to load and unload.

But some recent web surfing made me wonder if the world has concluded rollers are bad and bunks are good. All thoughts and experience welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

Tidbart
01-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I assume it is weight-related, but what's so dramatic about aluminum? You have me very interested and I am considering a custom trailier right now.

Also, what's the story on bunks versus rollers? A BUNCH of keel rollers strikes me as a good way both to support the boat and also to make it easier to load and unload.

But some recent web surfing made me wonder if the world has concluded rollers are bad and bunks are good. All thoughts and experience welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

Bunks/rollers: Bunks support better, weight distribution. Rollers tend to put stress in specific locations, they actually put a hook in my old 18. I don't crank my boat onto the trailer. I generally float it on, and give it a little push for the last couple of feet, so rollers won't do much good.

And yes, the al is alot lighter than the steel. Does make for a little easier towing.

B

VetteLT193
01-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I was told by more then one person that there are very few real manufacturers, that 90% were assemblers of aluminum trailers. You need to know who's axel and brake assemblies and bunk size also pay the extra $ for full S/S hardware, basically they are very much the same it is hard to tell one from another.

That's true. The trailer guys make the frames and bolt all the stuff on.

My Ace trailer has all SS hardware, Kodiak disk brakes, and LED lights. Compared to the S. Fla Trailer it is basically the same stuff except the name on the side. The setup of the trailer itself as far as bunks go is even the same.

RedDog
01-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Vette - Ace just gave me a quote that is very attractive.

So you are sold on them?

Walt. H.
01-12-2010, 12:55 PM
I own a 1999 steel construction "Performance Trailer" built in sept of 99' in Lake George NY. specifically for my 27' Chris Craft Concept and as far as I know its the only location they're made in and its also family run business thats still in operation, or at least it was last year when I spoke with the owner and fabricator "Bill and his wife Diane" regarding some spec questions I had.
Performace Trailer Ph, 518 668-3103

Now this trailer is well built and has only been used in fresh water and only see's the road in the spring & fall to tow and store my boat during the winter, now I would not recommend ever using using a steel on a regular basis in salt water, only aluminum would be the best way to go for lasting trailer life in salt followed with galvanized as a ugly second choice if you didn't care what your good looking Donzi rode on.
If its going to have brakes make it s/s disc with alum calipers and not cast iron drums.
Now I live in up state NY and "Perf, Trailer" is almost local to me only about 1 hr-45 min away, and I bet with a little research and advice from here you can find some good quality trailers that are much closer to you as mentioned above by the other members.

Warmer Days are coming..:crossfing::yes:

VetteLT193
01-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Vette - Ace just gave me a quote that is very attractive.
So you are sold on them?

I'll put it like this... I'd buy another one from them, I actually almost did buy a 2nd one for a bigger boat shortly after I bought the 28 trailer.

I would be happy to take and post pictures of it if you would like to see them. Two are attached, not very good, all I have on hand.

I don't think you will find a better value for a trailer. Bob's (Tidbart) trailer is nicer than mine. But the basics are the same... he got every user friendly feature you can get and all the extras. I stuck with the standard wheels and no extra steps / etc.

I told Ace what was going on... I was buying a new Donzi. I gave them my credit card and told them what options I wanted. (Full spare with hub, LED lights) and they did the rest. They got the specs from Donzi and when I picked the trailer up the steps were cut into the bunks to fit the hull and it was set up for my boat. Donzi re-checked it and said it was perfect... it dropped right on with no problems except for a minor adjustment to the front bumper.

Ace actually asked me to stop back by on the way home so they could do a 2nd check over... I did, complained just a little about a tail wagging the dog effect and they said... no problem. We set it up for your Navigator (they asked what boat and what I would be towing). They wanted to shift some of the weight off for me to not kill the vehicle, which they could get away with because of the 3 axles... They took the boat, lifted it up, shifted the bunks forward a couple inches, put it back on and I haven't had a problem since.

So, on top of a nice trailer they had great customer service.

Ghost
01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Bunks/rollers: Bunks support better, weight distribution. Rollers tend to put stress in specific locations, they actually put a hook in my old 18. I don't crank my boat onto the trailer. I generally float it on, and give it a little push for the last couple of feet, so rollers won't do much good.

And yes, the al is alot lighter than the steel. Does make for a little easier towing.

B

Thanks. To dig a hair further, some bunks get nearer to the keel than others, but I have yet to see any that can get right under it, which I would expect was the best support possible.

So, for support as well as ease of loading/unloading, would splurging with a series of keel rollers, spaced not more than a foot apart, be the perfect solution, even if it was costly? Or do folks think bunks are still better?

(My boat is bottom-painted with ablative for saltwater use, if that matters, and I imagine bunks would take substantially more paint off with each launch/pickup.)

Last question, any opinions about aluminum versus galvanized for durability/corrosion resistance. I don't care what it looks like, but I'd like to keep costs down over the long haul.

Thanks,

Mike

VetteLT193
01-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks. To dig a hair further, some bunks get nearer to the keel than others, but I have yet to see any that can get right under it, which I would expect was the best support possible.

So, for support as well as ease of loading/unloading, would splurging with a series of keel rollers, spaced not more than a foot apart, be the perfect solution, even if it was costly? Or do folks think bunks are still better?

(My boat is bottom-painted with ablative for saltwater use, if that matters, and I imagine bunks would take substantially more paint off with each launch/pickup.)

Last question, any opinions about aluminum versus galvanized for durability/corrosion resistance. I don't care what it looks like, but I'd like to keep costs down over the long haul.

Thanks,

Mike

Bunks are better.

Aluminum is far superior for longevity.

I'll try to get some pictures tonight of my trailer and the one under Eddie's 22. His aluminum trailer has almost exclusively been used in Salt water. I think it is a 1999 model. Original almost everything. In fact, on top of being used in Salt water, it has been kept in a salty environment (FL Keys, on the water).

Tidbart
01-12-2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Sounds like you crank your boat onto the trailer more than float it on. If that is what you do, I would consider a rollers/bunks combination. If you float it on, you really take no paint off.

As for under the keel, it is hard to do with bunks since they are flat. Rollers can be formed. I don't see it being a necessity to be right under the keel, why put the stress on one point of an arc? If you look at my photos, I have 4 areas of support for the back of the boat. The lbs/sq. in. weight distribution with the bunks is less than that of rollers.

As for galv. steel vs. aluminum, both are very good and will last a long time. Galvie does get some rust in spots, but alum does oxidize also. Steel is harder to move about, due to weight, when there is no boat on it, if that is an issue. I do like the shininess of the aluminum, looks better under my baby.

I have not priced steel in a long time so I can't comment on that aspect. I do know both metal were ridiculously high a couple of years ago. They have both come down so you should be able to get a good price.

One consideration I had was the fact that I have to pay a lot of tolls. That is one of the reasons why I went with one axle. The other was that I took the savings on the second axle, second set of brakes, and second set of tires and wheels, etc. and put it into better lights, heavier winch, Posi-lube axles, Timkin bearings, and other upgrades over stock.

B

Ghost
01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks, this is all very helpful. I agree it would be nice to be able to move it around easily unloaded.

And actually, I have no trailer and no experience with trailering this boat. So, to your point, I don't know if I would be more rolling on and off or floating it on and off.

It's a twin inboard Nova Marine 24, so the trailer would have to be quite custom at the rear end, and I think rollers right down the middle, at least at for the last couple feet, would be the best for ensuring clearance between the props. Thinner there just looks like it will be better back there.

Given there would be some custom work on the cross members, I wonder i if a steel shop would be more likely to do good welding for reasonable $$. really don't know if I should expect a big quality/cost difference there.

Mike

Walt. H.
01-12-2010, 02:08 PM

Thanks,

Mike
Only if you dragged it off & on dry but I bet you float it off and back on while wet so that isn't a real issue of concern.
Galvanizing is very thin and scratches some what easily over time and the drilled mounting holes are usually mostly done after the galvanizing process and thats why you always see the bad rust in those areas first.
There's less trailering shock and stress weight exerted when you distribute and cradle the divided weight on each side of the hull rather then if you had 100% of it directly on the center keel with rollers or anything else.
Think of yourself lying on your back with your spine directly contacting a board or would you rather have two boards, one on each side of your rib gage next to you resting on your back instead of your spine as you bounce the the road.

VetteLT193
01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
The only thing I disagree with Tidbart on is Aluminum Vs. Galv. on time frame.

Aluminum oxidizes but that oxidization actually forms a protective layer for the rest of the aluminum. Galv. rusts so you end up with holes and things that break. Also, most Galv. trailers are box frame and rust from the inside out.

I have had good luck with Galv in the past but it is a tough job keeping the trailer in great shape... especially if the trailer lives outside. (the one I had good luck with was 50/50 inside/outside so that probably helped me too) I also spent a lot of time cleaning, washing, greasing, WD-40-ing, etc the galvanized and I spend maybe 10% of that time on Aluminum with better results.

VetteLT193
01-13-2010, 06:32 PM
some pictures...

Cuda
01-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Galvanized will rust. The undercarriage of an aluminum trailer will rust too. I replaced the whole undercarriage of an aluminum trailer on July 3rd.

Ace Trailers stole the material from another trailer mfg to get their start. I metmet the guy they stole it from. They (Ace) had to pay back restitution. I won't do business with them.

Ghost
01-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks.

One last aluminum trailer question--I would think that unless they insulated the parts, that you'd see dissimilar metal galvanic issues. Do they insulate them, and/or do these trailers see galvanic problems?

Walt. H.
01-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks.

One last aluminum trailer question--I would think that unless they insulated the parts, that you'd see dissimilar metal galvanic issues. Do they insulate them, and/or do these trailers see galvanic problems?

They don't stay long enough submerged in the water for that to be a problem, unless you plan on leaving it underwater until you get back at the end of the day but by then the tide might eat your tow vehicle also.

VetteLT193
01-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Galvanized will rust. The undercarriage of an aluminum trailer will rust too. I replaced the whole undercarriage of an aluminum trailer on July 3rd.
Ace Trailers stole the material from another trailer mfg to get their start. I metmet the guy they stole it from. They (Ace) had to pay back restitution. I won't do business with them.

After you told me that the first time I did a bunch of searching and the theft shows up no where. do you have any proof, or more information of this?

When I was down at Ace's shop the owner gave me a similar story in the other direction though. A former employee drove by the shop towing a trailer... started his own trailer company... That does show up online so it verifies.

Craig S
01-14-2010, 11:33 AM
It's a twin inboard Nova Marine 24, so the trailer would have to be quite custom at the rear end, and I think rollers right down the middle, at least at for the last couple feet, would be the best for ensuring clearance between the props.

I plan to get mine done locally for that reason. I'll see how it goes.

RedDog
01-14-2010, 02:11 PM
I dropped the dime (well quite a few dimes) on a trailer from Ace. Hopefully will have it in about a month

"Thank you for inquiring with Ace Trailers. We are very familiar with the 22' Donzi Classic. We custom build a 23-25' 6,000lb GVWR Tandem trailer with 1 set of Kodiak disc brakes for this specific boat. Aluminum i-beams, stainless hardware, guide poles, cypress bunks"

VetteLT193
01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I dropped the dime (well quite a few dimes) on a trailer from Ace. Hopefully will have it in about a month

"Thank you for inquiring with Ace Trailers. We are very familiar with the 22' Donzi Classic. We custom build a 23-25' 6,000lb GVWR Tandem trailer with 1 set of Kodiak disc brakes for this specific boat. Aluminum i-beams, stainless hardware, guide poles, cypress bunks"

Congrats... are you driving down to get it?

RedDog
01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Congrats... are you driving down to get it?

Nope - delivery to my Knoxville home

VetteLT193
01-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Nope - delivery to my Knoxville home

Cool, post pics when it gets to you!

Greg Guimond
11-09-2010, 11:46 PM
TTT ........Up here in the Northeast I run in saltwater. Are there any builders ( not assemblers ) that produce a high quality, aluminum custom trailer? I'd like to investigate a combo roller and bunk approach but have not seen anyone in the Rochester to Boston to DC corridor. Thanks