PDA

View Full Version : Hose protection

brwn234
01-10-2010, 06:10 PM
What do you guys use to protect your hoses? I'm going to replace some before next season and I want them to stay new. I've use some of that plastic wire loom stuff but there's gotta be something better.

gcarter
01-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Whatgtype of hoses?

MOP
01-10-2010, 07:32 PM
No matter how you route your hoses they can in some places cross what I call are hard spots, what I did was to look over my install very carefully. Any place a hose was in contact I did one of two things secured it in such a way that it could not chafe or in a few places where that was not possible I made shields. I took thin non corrosive sheet metal and formed it to fit the hose then clamped it in place, after four years I have -0- chafing showing anywhere on my setup. I also went the extra mile and went with Pirelli wire wound hose where ever I felt it was needed. A little time spent up front will save a possible disaster when having fun! I have always said God did not commission me to walk on water!

Ed Donnelly
01-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Mop; Is the non corrosive sheet metal the same as a Coke can???:wink:..Ed

brwn234
01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
My raw water intake hose, and both hoses going to my exhaust manifolds have a bit of chafing. I've caught it plenty early and tried some shielding that I'm not 100% confident with. I figured I better replace em and cover em up right.

gcarter
01-10-2010, 08:26 PM
A good hydraulic shop will have heavy duty spiral wound heavy duty plastic anti-chafing wrap. It's almost indestructable and even hard to cut.