PDA

View Full Version : Read this about outboards..........reeds

fasttrucker
01-09-2010, 04:31 PM
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205483
Now that Iam an outboard guy Iam learning stuff........You think we have fights sometimes here on this site.............:bonk:

CHACHI
01-09-2010, 05:02 PM
fast....lets just call them "spirited discussions". :wink:

Ken

fasttrucker
01-09-2010, 06:12 PM
fast....lets just call them "spirited discussions". :wink:

Ken
Ya,Spirited discussions..........Reeds.....Who would have thunk-it?

mrfixxall
01-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Been changing them for years on my snomobiles, the ones i use are called v-force reeds..they work better with mods to the sleds..

BUIZILLA
01-09-2010, 06:25 PM
I had to throw in a reply... :wink:

fasttrucker
01-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Been changing them for years on my snomobiles, the ones i use are called v-force reeds..they work better with mods to the sleds..
It looks like my 1999 225 efi promax was bilt by mercury racing and has performance reeds.No need to mess with them!Having a nose cone w/ low water pickup installed,then a new prop for my lavy tunnel boat.:shades
Ya,I know not a donzi......But if donzi someday makes an outboard cat or tunnel,who knows....

CHACHI
01-10-2010, 06:41 AM

fixx, are they a carbon fiber material?

4 sperate reeds per cylinder or are they reed on reed ?

Ken

gcarter
01-10-2010, 07:01 AM
I had to throw in a reply... :wink:

I forget who it was...maybe Mazda or Toyota was experimenting w/reeds on 4-stroke engines for better F/A ratio control in intermediate speeds....kinda like CV carbs.

mrfixxall
01-10-2010, 11:08 AM
fixx, are they a carbon fiber material?

4 sperate reeds per cylinder or are they reed on reed ?

Ken

their black so i assume they are,it depends on the application some are 4,6,8 per cylinder..

http://www.mototassinari.com/

silverghost
01-10-2010, 12:10 PM
"Real Donzi's" don't need or will never use use ANY wimpy reed valves !
Sorry eggbeater guys!

fasttrucker
01-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Sorry eggbeater guys!
Dont forget I still own the 1972 donzi 16 outboard with its 200 hp johnson.Its as real as it gets..........:party:

joseph m. hahnl
01-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Sorry eggbeater guys!

We call them Intake valves,:yes: and you can't change them at the ramp:boggled:

silverghost
01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I just knew that reed valve statement would get me in hot water ! ; )

fasttrucker
01-11-2010, 07:07 AM
I just knew that reed valve statement would get me in hot water ! ; )
Ill tell you:nilly: Iam sold on outboards,Here Iam running 80 mph on 225 hp in a 20 foot boat.Great mpg on a cat or tunnel design,I think donzi should at the very least offer a 22 classic outboard model.

gcarter
01-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Ill tell you:nilly: Iam sold on outboards,Here Iam running 80 mph on 225 hp in a 20 foot boat.Great mpg on a cat or tunnel design,I think donzi should at the very least offer a 22 classic outboard model.
They did......

Greg Guimond
01-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Now you've done it Trucker ..........LOL

dwiggl
01-11-2010, 03:19 PM
I seem to remember Don A. winning a bunch of races with Triple Inline-6 egg beaters..........
I seem to remember Brownie saying something colorful about how he really felt about outdrives..... (was it in Hot Boat, er, ah, Sunk Boat magazine?)
I seem to remember seeing that most REALLY fast race boats are using surface drives.......
I seem to remember the fastest documented X-18 is pushed by Arneson hardware....
I seem to forget my anniversary a lot....
yuk.....dw

fasttrucker
01-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Now you've done it Trucker ..........LOL
Iam re-thinking this a bit,Iam spending around $3 grand on my new to me tunnel boat:wrench:......new drive shaft:toiletpap,new nose cone,new water pump impeller,seals,grease,prop,boat cover repair.......doesnt make much difference outboard or sterndrive.....BOAT.....Break Out Another Thousand
But at least Ill save Gas:bonk:

HIGH LIFE
01-17-2010, 10:04 PM
fasttrucker, Why did you have to replace the driveshaft ? P.S. Speed costs- how much do you want to spend ! "HIGH LIFE"

fasttrucker
01-18-2010, 07:27 AM
fasttrucker, Why did you have to replace the driveshaft ? P.S. Speed costs- how much do you want to spend ! "HIGH LIFE"
The 225 promax did not have a low water pickup and when I ran it fast lifting it on the jack plate, it overheated.So we took the lower unit off and I sent the casing to bob,s machine shop in tampa.They are installing a big foot nose cone with dual water hose.Water was in the gear oil,the brand new impeller was toast from running it dry,Drive shaft is 11 years old (outboard is a 1999).The shop that rebilt the powerhead did not touch the lower unit.They suck.I asked about a warrenty and was told no warrenty.Anyway,the Lower Pinion Bearing Surface On Drive Pitted Badly.I called mercury and a tech called me back.He said the water and a small amount of rust in the bearing pitted the shaft.I can have the shaft remetalized(not good because the bearings will go on the same area as the repair)I can use a speedy sleeve(not a good repair if you plan to keep the motor,would be good if you plan to sell it off) or buy new drive shaft,which I ordered from BAM MARINE internet site.

fasttrucker
01-18-2010, 07:32 AM
The 225 promax did not have a low water pickup and when I ran it fast(you have raise it up on the jack plate), it overheated.So we took the lower unit off and I sent the casing to bob,s machine shop in tampa.They are installing a big foot nose cone with dual water hose.Water was in the gear oil,the brand new impeller was toast from running it dry,Drive shaft is 11 years old (outboard is a 1999).The shop that rebilt the powerhead did not touch the lower unit.They suck.I asked about a warrenty and was told no warrenty.Anyway,the Lower Pinion Bearing Surface On Drive Pitted Badly.I called mercury and a tech called me back.He said the water and a small amount of rust in the bearing pitted the shaft.I can have the shaft remetalized(not good because the bearings will go on the same area as the repair)I can use a speedy sleeve(not a good repair if you plan to keep the motor,would be good if you plan to sell it off) or buy new drive shaft,which I ordered from BAM MARINE internet site.
As far as speed costs goes.....There is not much you can do to the outboard bilt by the mercury racing division.It has high performance parts as it is.You can do it but you need to buy a new computer and reprogram it.You can port the heads and increase the compression at the next time you rebuild the motor that might be the only thing you can do without a computer upgrade.Its an efi so you cant add velocity stacks(thats for carbs).Reeds are high performance stock,so new carbon fiber ones will help at idle,not for speed.

HIGH LIFE
01-18-2010, 06:55 PM
fasttrucker, When I said that I didn't mean in new parts, I meant in maintaince ! I have a pair of 300X on another boat, I have to check the SportMaster lowers all the time ( the weak link ). These lowers have hardened steel prop & drive shafts and I used speedy sleeves on them, worked out well. New prop & drive shafts X 2 = $3K. Get a copy of a Service Manual for your motor, good read. Michael "HIGH LIFE"

fasttrucker
01-19-2010, 10:48 AM
fasttrucker, When I said that I didn't mean in new parts, I meant in maintaince ! I have a pair of 300X on another boat, I have to check the SportMaster lowers all the time ( the weak link ). These lowers have hardened steel prop & drive shafts and I used speedy sleeves on them, worked out well. New prop & drive shafts X 2 = $3K. Get a copy of a Service Manual for your motor, good read. Michael "HIGH LIFE"
I was told the torgemaster unit is better then the sportmaster.What is this twin engine 300x boat?cat?

HIGH LIFE
01-20-2010, 06:20 PM
The 300X are on a 27' MAGNUM SEDAN 78GPS, need to re-work props, need to hit 6,800 RPM... trying to break 80 ! Heavy boat 5,600 # great in rough water. "HIGH LIFE"

fasttrucker
01-22-2010, 09:55 AM
The 300X are on a 27' MAGNUM SEDAN 78GPS, need to re-work props, need to hit 6,800 RPM... trying to break 80 ! Heavy boat 5,600 # great in rough water. "HIGH LIFE"
Cool,Iam not sure my tunnel is going to be good for the cheasapeake bay,maybe i can borrow the Magnum on a windy day!:cool: