PDA

View Full Version : Seat upholstery

NJFASTECH
01-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Who can give me a direction on getting some interior work done as close to original as possible? I would like to start with the padded dash and side wraps also I need to do the front bench and rear wrap around. I have all the original stuff.
Thanks Jim

ChrisJ.
01-09-2010, 08:40 PM
premier performance interiors is your best bet.. www.ppi-fl.com (http://www.ppi-fl.com)

mrfixxall
01-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Where are you located?

hot shot
01-10-2010, 06:35 AM
How about Mcleod LOL:nilly: :frown:

NJFASTECH
01-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Where are you located?

NJ coast

NJFASTECH
01-10-2010, 07:38 AM
premier performance interiors is your best bet.. www.ppi-fl.com (http://www.ppi-fl.com)

The website only responds to the news flash no customer contact info or about us. Warren and Mac are getting some big air though.

There are some local mom and pop companies which I have no problem with I was just wondering who is doing the replacement interiors since biltrite.I want it done right the first time.
Thanks,Jim

knots2u
01-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Find someone local and take your interior to them. Be careful with that dash pad.

NJFASTECH
01-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Find someone local and take your interior to them. Be careful with that dash pad.

Everything will be stripped from the pad as well as the pad removed to recover.

knots2u
01-10-2010, 11:46 AM
The upholsterer should really see that dash pad whole, let them take off the old & reattach the new.

oledawg
01-11-2010, 06:01 AM
Nothing wrong with the local unless you are going for concours perfection. My boat guy found a local shop that did a real roll n pleat in black with red piping on my 22c for less than $800. Looks great. Also did new black 20 oz marine carpet that snaps in for a great price. Bought the carpet from Overtons and had the upholstery shop cut and put the trim/snaps on it. Local can definitely work if you find the right place. Support that local economy!

LKSD
01-11-2010, 07:29 AM
I do interiors in our shop.. I am also a Donzi owner & site supporter. We are in North East PA. ;) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

oledawg
01-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Wasn't knocking any of the fine suppliers that support this site, most are excellent resources and folks should check with them on project work. The shop I use is on my lake and the source of my fuel and butter pecan ice cream. Good guys, not Donzi or even high performance oriented, just a couple of "good ole boys" that understand boats! :thewave:

LKSD
01-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Wasn't knocking any of the fine suppliers that support this site, most are excellent resources and folks should check with them on project work. The shop I use is on my lake and the source of my fuel and butter pecan ice cream. Good guys, not Donzi or even high performance oriented, just a couple of "good ole boys" that understand boats! :thewave:

I never said you were.. ;)

I just noticed that no one seemed to realize that I did this kind of work too.. :)

I am in NE PA and anywhere in jersey is an easy drive to me.

Thats all, no problem.. :)

Jamie

Cuda
01-11-2010, 07:46 AM
I bought some upholstery from PPI. They do great work, but they are located in Sarastota, Fl.

NJFASTECH
01-11-2010, 08:35 AM
I do interiors in our shop.. I am also a Donzi owner & site supporter. We are in North East PA. ;) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

Could you give me a ballpark on the Hornet II I have all the foam rubber I do need to fabricate one side of the wrap around dash from bench back it was missing.So front benchrear wrap around and dash.
Pm me if you like.
Thanks,Jim

VetteLT193
01-11-2010, 09:11 AM
If you take it to someone to have it replicated make sure you point out any flaws that are in the current interior.

On my Minx I had a bit of bunching in the corners. Not because the interior guy did a bad job, but because my factory interior was actually stretched/tweaked from 20 years of use. What I got was a brand new interior that matched the stretched old set... I wish I just pointed it out so the new set would have been factory perfect instead of just a bit off.

silverghost
01-11-2010, 09:25 AM
You have to watch-out for some local shops.
Years ago I had a complete interior redone on a wood classic.
I explaind that the original seats had shrunk, the old pre-foam filler had flattened etc.
Described type of piping trim etc.
I supplied old cushons & templates etc.
The guy stated over and over "I know what you want"
When I got the pick-up call nothing was done correcty !
He made the new cushons to the shrunken size!
He used the old padding which was shot.
Motorbox cover cushion was too small !
Nothing was in writing & he did what he wanted to do~ Cut corners !
He DID however know how to charge big money !
He refused to re-do anything !
Within the year he was out of business~
No surprize here !
Bad experience.

oledawg
01-11-2010, 09:37 AM
"In writing" is good, not paying if not right is good. Sometimes these things happen, but I have found that my local guy that I see almost everyday during the season does everything that he can to make sure his customers are happy. Called a "relationship". Obviously your guy didn't care about having one. Sorry. :outtahere:

knots2u
01-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Let the local guy/gal see the old interior in the boat before removing it. Like it was said, point out any problem area's and discuss remedies.

ficomax
03-15-2010, 10:48 PM
I got a sweet 16 1995 missing board side long seat & rear transom seat. I found a guy that can make it as the originals. The only question is How those seats stay so nicely to the fiberglass without any open spaces, the back rest one. Is just by the snap buttons or its a hard starboard attach to the vinyl that keep it on place??? Needs help from someone that have those original seat a detail description of it or a photo of the side part that make contact to the fiberglass, you can email to ficoirizarry@hotmail.com, THANKS!!!!!!!!!

catch 22
03-16-2010, 06:03 AM
Don't take it here, this is **** work.:censored::censored:

knots2u
03-16-2010, 09:06 AM
I think I made that seat, it looks not like **** work, just **** staples. I must have somehow got some regular steel staples mixed in with stainless!?!?! If you are able to do the repair get some stainless staples and re-attach the upholstery. With a little work that seat is still usable. If you can't do it, any upholstery shop can fix that seat in less than an hour. How is the other bucket?

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Bob

catch 22
03-17-2010, 11:01 AM
The other seat is the same. In pix #6 what do I do with the back of the seats, do I staple it to the bottom of the seat where the wood is? If so it's going to be hard because the rust made that part of the seat tear pretty easy.

fasttrucker
03-17-2010, 11:30 AM
I think I made that seat, it looks not like **** work, just **** staples. I must have somehow got some regular steel staples mixed in with stainless!?!?! If you are able to do the repair get some stainless staples and re-attach the upholstery. With a little work that seat is still usable. If you can't do it, any upholstery shop can fix that seat in less than an hour. How is the other bucket?
Sorry for the inconvenience,
Bob
I think you should send catch a check to make it right,.Catch keep track of your time x your labor rate(I think min. wage for you).add in cost of the s.s. stables.:yes:

Cuda
03-17-2010, 12:25 PM
I think I have a box of Monel staples. They are probably 40 years old. I got them from my dad. Even back then I think the price tag was $25. You can have them if I can find them, and I go to Tavares. :)

knots2u
03-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Yes, staple the vinyl down, but I don't understand the part were "the rust made that part of the seat tear easily".

Is there wood in that bucket? I stopped making buckets about 5 years ago, and stopped using wood at least 2 years earlier.

LKSD
03-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Could you give me a ballpark on the Hornet II I have all the foam rubber I do need to fabricate one side of the wrap around dash from bench back it was missing.So front benchrear wrap around and dash.
Pm me if you like.
Thanks,Jim

Sure give me a call when you get a chance & we can discuss it. :) Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but my thread notifications from this site were jazzed up for some reason.. :) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

silverghost
03-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Disclaimer: I am no interior expert by any means:
BUT:
Might it be possible to glue a strip of some new strong thin material under the rusty staple area to make it stronger & re-enforce it ?
Then pull the old fabric tight re-staple with Stainless Steel or Monel Staples.
I would use 3M spray 90 contact adhesive for this.
I have tried this on old classic car seats as a "Band-aid" repair.
Bought me some time wih the old material.
Home Depot usually sells Stainless Seel Staples! (arrowT-50 brand)
Monel Staples are harder to find.
Marine stores like West have them !
Rust can be very destructive !
Good Luck.

NJFASTECH
03-17-2010, 07:27 PM
I bought Monel staples just a few weeks back 66% stainless 33% copper at the Home depot. 1250 count 16.99 a box.
Jamie I actually ordered my vinyl online and have a local guy gonna do the vinyl work for me. Thanks for the reply. We are putting the top back on the Hornet this week. Stringers done,Transom done,fuel tank done,Picked up a parts motor today for all the hanging stuff,Put the new heads on last week painted it up then onto some cosmetics. Here is a link for the vinyl
http://www.garysupholstery.com/foamback.html