PDA

View Full Version : Any pistol shooters?

Conquistador_del_mar
01-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Yesterday, I took my nephew and his best friend (both 21 years old) to our local indoor pistol range for their first pistol shooting lesson. I taught them safety measures and then how to load and shoot, etc. They had a great time, but I think I had as satisfying a time passing along my experience. They did very well and really appreciated me showing them a sport that their parents had not passed along since their parents are not gun people. They got to shoot a 9mm Taurus PT92 automatic, Ruger 45 automatic, and the ported Taurus 357 magnum revolver shown in the picture. They passed on shooting the Colt Anaconda 44 magnum, but they wanted to see me fire it. Even with the not so great 5MOA red dot scope on the Taurus, I have it sighted in where it can lay all 8 shots in a 2" target at 75' using a shooting bag. Great winter time sport! We all had fun yesterday. Bill

mrfixxall
01-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Ditto! safety first.i havnt been shootingin a whyle because the ammo is hard to fnd now a day's..

mrfixxall
01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
more

dsparis
01-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Love shootin

silverghost
01-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Come to Philadelphia !
We have lot's of pistol shooters here~
The law lets everyone legally buy 12 hand-guns per month.
The Cops are out gunned~
Everyone on the street here is packin heat!
I am not anti-gun~
But the situation here is nuts!

Cuda
01-09-2010, 05:53 PM
I used to shoot a ton. Ammo was never an issue, because I rolled my own. I haven't reloaded in probably ten years. Just yesterday, I gave my neighbor a ton of reloading stuff.

I had a guy that worked for me steal my 357 Python, and a .38 Tarus. I told the state prosecutor that he didn't steal enough guns. I still have my Anaconda, and a 9 shot 22 mag.

I used to go to the gun range so often, my dogs would fall alseep in the back of the truck while I was shooting. :)

Conquistador_del_mar
01-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Love shootin

What do you have there on the tables? I have seen fewer tactical looking weapons in a SWAT team - lol. Bill

Ghost
01-09-2010, 06:27 PM
I need to find a cheaper place to shoot.

Conquistador_del_mar
01-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Come to Philadelphia !
We have lot's of pistol shooters here~
The law lets everyone legally buy 12 hand-guns per month.
The Cops are out gunned~
Everyone on the street here is packin heat!
I am not anti-gun~
But the situation here is nuts!

Ironic that you would say that. Last week I had to talk to a guy in Pennslyvania who had sent me a stereo receiver that UPS destroyed. We got to talking, and I mentioned going shooting that afternoon. He said hardly anyone in his town owns guns. I guess it depends on where you go as to who feels the need for guns. I personally have one everywhere I go, but I have never had to use one. As my concealed handgun instructor said a few times. "I would much rather have a weapon and not need it than to need it and not have one". Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
01-09-2010, 06:46 PM
I used to shoot a ton. Ammo was never an issue, because I rolled my own. I haven't reloaded in probably ten years. Just yesterday, I gave my neighbor a ton of reloading stuff.

I had a guy that worked for me steal my 357 Python, and a .38 Tarus. I told the state prosecutor that he didn't steal enough guns. I still have my Anaconda, and a 9 shot 22 mag.

I used to go to the gun range so often, my dogs would fall alseep in the back of the truck while I was shooting. :)

I had a Colt Python 357 6" nickel finish that I used as a down payment on a Donzi GT21 with a guy at the boat ramp years ago. I still would like to get another one - sweet action, but so is the Colt Anaconda. Ammo around here is finally starting to stock back on the shelves after quite a few months of being hard to find. Bill

Cuda
01-09-2010, 09:43 PM
I had a Colt Python 357 6" nickel finish that I used as a down payment on a Donzi GT21 with a guy at the boat ramp years ago. I still would like to get another one - sweet action, but so is the Colt Anaconda. Ammo around here is finally starting to stock back on the shelves after quite a few months of being hard to find. Bill
I had a 6 inch blued Python that I traded out tiling a tub for a friend of mine, He was here last weekend, and I told him about it being stolen.
In single action, my Anaconda has a hair trigger. The first time I shot it, I damn near blew my foot off! I had some hot loads for that gun, :)

Conquistador_del_mar
01-09-2010, 10:23 PM
I had a 6 inch blued Python that I traded out tiling a tub for a friend of mine, He was here last weekend, and I told him about it being stolen.
In single action, my Anaconda has a hair trigger. The first time I shot it, I damn near blew my foot off! I had some hot loads for that gun, :)

Yep, my Anaconda also has a hair trigger - it still catches me offguard when lining up my shots after firing other guns that demand more pull. I had a "friend" in Dallas years ago who shot off two of his toes one night with his 44 magnum. Apparently, he was so drunk that he went on to a party where they kicked him out and made him go to the hospital after bleeding all over their carpet through his boot. He was a mess. I sometimes wonder if he is still alive. Bill

Donzi Vol
01-09-2010, 10:26 PM
I have been shooting for sport for a while now, and really enjoy it. My brother, on the other hand, never really had the opportunity to try it out, and now it's difficult for him to take it up. I have the most wonderful sister-in-law that a guy could ask for, but she's pretty serious about her dislike for guns and her dislike of my brother trying it out.

So, when I asked him what he wanted for Christmas (him knowing that the range offers gift cards), he said that he would really like to learn to shoot. So for safety's sake, I got him a gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods for the ammo and put it in a card which read, "I'll explain later." Now we're setting up a time for me to treat him to some quality range time. She doesn't know what the gift card is going to be used for :wink:

Conquistador_del_mar
01-10-2010, 01:55 AM
I have been shooting for sport for a while now, and really enjoy it. My brother, on the other hand, never really had the opportunity to try it out, and now it's difficult for him to take it up. I have the most wonderful sister-in-law that a guy could ask for, but she's pretty serious about her dislike for guns and her dislike of my brother trying it out.

So, when I asked him what he wanted for Christmas (him knowing that the range offers gift cards), he said that he would really like to learn to shoot. So for safety's sake, I got him a gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods for the ammo and put it in a card which read, "I'll explain later." Now we're setting up a time for me to treat him to some quality range time. She doesn't know what the gift card is going to be used for :wink:

Very cool present. I know many more women than men who are pretty much anti gun. My two younger sisters are not gun people. I think most of it revolves around how they were raised. In my case, my father took me out shooting and hunting, but not my sisters so they never got to experience it. Somehow, it reminds me of snakes. Many people are scared of all snakes since they have never learned the differences in types. I personally really like them after growing up catching many types of non-poisonous ones with a little education. I don't know if my comparison makes any sense to anyone but myself.
Anyway, I hope your brother gets to enjoy a little shooting. It sounds like he will. Bill

VetteLT193
01-10-2010, 01:30 PM
proper shooting is always good and I'm very happy you went through that. My brother in law took me when I was in High School and showed me the ropes... I have been hooked since then.

Here are my main two pistols...

Taurus Millennium Pro, Stainless steel, in .45
Sig Pro, 9MM... the best gun I have ever owned. It has never even thought of jamming on me and I have put thousands of rounds through it.