PDA

View Full Version : Custom Hatch Needed

Greg Guimond
01-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Anyone have a source that would do a custom hatche? Maybe in composite or similiar, super light, super strong type thing with a bit of a crown .........size to be in the 25x25 range give or take.

ChrisJ.
01-09-2010, 08:42 PM
contact josh stickles on here i belive his name is donzi josh

LKSD
01-11-2010, 07:35 AM
I do glasswork.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

Cuda
01-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Someone had put a hood scoop on the hatch of my 22. It sagged where the scoop was, and drained like a shower floor to the hatch. I had it redone locally. They built a jig to get the right curve to the hatch. It was a lot stronger than original, but weighed a lot more too. Probably any place that does glass work can help you out.

Greg Guimond
01-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Thanks,
I was thinking about going a bit toward "exotic" but only if it allowed for, in order of importance-

1. Decreased weight
2. Increased strength
3. Equally receptive to a painted or gel'd finish

VetteLT193
01-11-2010, 09:07 AM
epoxy might work, but it has to be baked. And you will be pretty well stuck with paint.

Carbon fiber has issues with paint being smooth and in the long run staying smooth.

I don't know if either will be worth it money wise Vs. weight savings. There isn't a ton of weight to save on a single 25x25 hatch. An entire boat made of the stuff... now you have weight savings.

Greg Guimond
01-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks VetteLT193,

There would be (2) hatches of about 25x25. The reason weight reduction is a goal is just to make them simple to lift and remove entirely from the boat. I have no idea how much a regular glass hatch would weigh but I assume it would be about 40lbs if made "stout" enough to take the weight of an adult mistakenly stepping or sitting on it with full force. Not sure if a different materials approach could cut that weight by 50% down to 20lbs which would make it easy for the youngsters in the family to handle.

VetteLT193
01-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I think you would be in a perfect world if you managed to save 35% of the weight by going to Carbon over Fiberglass. Real world: more like 10% is my non-expert guess.

I'm not sure on full epoxy, baked, etc. I know it is lighter but don't know how much. I know the cost is up there.

Greg Guimond
01-12-2010, 08:39 AM
As Cuda mentioned, the slight curve adds weight. Does anyone have a feel for if a 25"x25" hatch with a slight dome would in fact weigh in a 40lbs in standard fiberglass layup?

MOP
01-12-2010, 11:16 AM
A curve only adds marginal weight but adds a lot of strength!

Christian
01-13-2010, 08:33 AM
if you can find a business that makes sportfishing hard tops, they may have a mold with the curve shape. I am going through the same process here in NJ with my sutphen. The orig hatch is heavy and weak. I want to create a raised portion or scoops along with a better lay up to build strength.

Chris

LKSD
01-13-2010, 08:45 AM
epoxy might work, but it has to be baked. And you will be pretty well stuck with paint.

Carbon fiber has issues with paint being smooth and in the long run staying smooth.

I don't know if either will be worth it money wise Vs. weight savings. There isn't a ton of weight to save on a single 25x25 hatch. An entire boat made of the stuff... now you have weight savings.

You can use epoxy & composites. I have done it on other hatches we made & modified in our shop to keep it strong & light. The epoxy only needs to post cured if you want to gelcoat it. Otherwise the MEK used in the gelcoat will soften it & eat into it. Good paint is not really a bad thing to use for the final finish. There are some benefits to a good paint. You can get a nice deep shine & it is usually less prone to fading/chalking.

Jamie / Lakeside

VetteLT193
01-13-2010, 09:32 AM
You can use epoxy & composites. I have done it on other hatches we made & modified in our shop to keep it strong & light. The epoxy only needs to post cured if you want to gelcoat it. Otherwise the MEK used in the gelcoat will soften it & eat into it. Good paint is not really a bad thing to use for the final finish. There are some benefits to a good paint. You can get a nice deep shine & it is usually less prone to fading/chalking.

Jamie / Lakeside

I was thinking the bake process was pretty much necessary in order to yield the result in this case. i.e. a lighter and stronger product. I am under the impression that if you want the lightest / strongest epoxy part you bake it (post cure) after so you get the most strength out of what you have. meaning, if you bake it you can make the product lighter because you don't need as much to get the strength you need because the epoxy you did use is stronger by a good margin.

Keep in mind that I'm only knowledgeable enough to be dangerous though... I'm not negating you: only trying to learn more through discussion.

LKSD
01-13-2010, 09:49 AM
No problem. :)

Epoxy layups are strong to begin with, post curing does make it stronger, but it also allows you to do a couple of other things. :) J